Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    I'm in desperate need of some advice, I have so much stuff to do it's all building up I'm in the summer of year 12 and I need to write my personal statement for medicine as well do the ukcat on the 22nd, I have work experience coming up for 2/3 weeks,which will be 9 to 5 and a biology and chemistry exam in September to revise for which will decide my predicted grades 😭😭 can someone give me advice on how I should go about organising my time to get this all in please

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by mayastephen)
    Hey guys,
    I'm in desperate need of some advice, I have so much stuff to do it's all building up I'm in the summer of year 12 and I need to write my personal statement for medicine as well do the ukcat on the 22nd, I have work experience coming up for 2/3 weeks,which will be 9 to 5 and a biology and chemistry exam in September to revise for which will decide my predicted grades 😭😭 can someone give me advice on how I should go about organising my time to get this all in please
    My advice would be to get a grip.

You're not the only one in this situation

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah obviously I'm not the only one, but it doesn't hurt to ask someone who's gone through it for advice on how they managed their time 😑

ReputationRep:
    Well yeah obviously I'm not the only one, but it doesn't hurt to ask someone who's gone through it for advice on how they managed their time 😑
    How about including some dates and timeframes?

ReputationRep:
    So my personal statement has to be done for September the deadline is the 11th of September, ukcat is on the 22nd of August, work experience hasn't been confirmed of exact dates but it's definitely in August and for 2 weeks and the exams I have are in September bio being as soon as I get back for early September and chemistry will be mid September

ReputationRep:
    So my personal statement has to be done for September the deadline is the 11th of September, ukcat is on the 22nd of August, work experience hasn't been confirmed of exact dates but it's definitely in August and for 2 weeks and the exams I have are in September bio being as soon as I get back for early September and chemistry will be mid September
    I literally wrote down bullet points for my personal statement for the things I was going to add and then wrote it in a day.

I would use the rest of July to start getting some points for the personal statement. That will be that done.

Start UKCAT questions around 2 weeks prior. Even if you have work experience you can gets loads of questions done in the evening.
    On weekends do biology and chemistry

ReputationRep:
    Prioritise.

Think of it as a short term, almost bullet journal like routine

1) Take a look at all of your activities, which one takes immidiate preparation in the short term (i.e what's coming up first that is important), UKCAT? Got it, put that at the top of priorities, make a timetable, as it's the UKCAT and quite important, dedicate something like up to an hour a day until the exam just focusing on that.

2) Next on your agenda is your Personal Statement, now, I would get to work on a basic body of it now, and then when your work experience and UKCAT and stuff is over and done with fill it out. (Idk when your UKCAT results get back it's probably not that early), but at least you've made it easy for yourself if you want to add new things or new work experience bits and bobs within your already created 'template', or barebones of it.

3) The Work Experience is inevitable, I wouldn't know how to prepare for it asides from reading around what you're going to be doing and just making sure you've got some competence.

4) Exams, they are obviously quite important too, since they are the furthest away, I'd suggest spending small increments of time initially whilst you have everything else going on, and then proceeding to step up more and put more and more time into it (i.e go from say, 2 hours to maybe 4 hours a day, etc), in the run up to the exam.

Obviously your priorities may be different to what I have just plotted here, but you get the idea and the process.

ReputationRep:
    If you can't handle this, then how will you cope in a busy A&E on a Friday night?

Seriously, think about this.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    If you can't handle this, then how will you cope in a busy A&E on a Friday night?

I'm not going to be thrown into a busy A&E as soon as i start medical school, I'll learn to manage that in the many years before i become a doctor, I've only just started getting to grips with going to university so of course it's challenging, medical applicants have a lot to do and we all need support, all I'm asking is for tips on time management not for someone to do it for me.

ReputationRep:
    I'm not going to be thrown into a busy A&E as soon as i start medical school, I'll learn to manage that in the many years before i become a doctor, I've only just started getting to grips with going to university so of course it's challenging, medical applicants have a lot to do and we all need support, all I'm asking is for tips on time management not for someone to do it for me.
    really? you'll learn to manage that at med school? I'm pretty sure to become a successful med candidate you need to be extremely well managed and strong willed

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)

Seriously, unless you're a doctor I suggest you get a grip. There's also no reason OP would have to be in A&E, there are so many other specialities. I could bet my life that even experienced doctors get stressed, and sometimes struggle to handle their job. OP don't be put off, you're feeling like the majority of Medicine applicants.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    really? you'll learn to manage that at med school? I'm pretty sure to become a successful med candidate you need to be extremely well managed and strong willed
    I woudn't be applying for it without research and if i didn't think i had what it takes, again I'm not asking anyone to do the work for me, I asked for advice from people that have been in this position that's all. If i get there it will be by my own committment at the end of the day.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Hi there!

Don't panic! First of all, bullet point what you need to focus on:

1. UKCAT
    2. Medical work experience
    3. Personal Statement
    4. Biology exam
    5. Chemistry exam

And from here make a timetable! For example, some things will take longer than others:

1. UKCAT: dedicate an hour or so a day to completing practice questions (we have a free UKCAT Question Bank you can use!) across each section and working on improving your scores as you go along - for example, strengthening your mental maths, getting used to the AR questions, skim-reading for VR etc. Then after

2. Work experience: good news! Your medical work experience will not take any preparation before you go - all you need to do is make sure you get the most out of your experience by recording what you learn in a diary, so don't stress too much about this one

3. Personal Statement: your personal statement will need some planning, but you have plenty of time to write this and it might be best to do this after you have finished your work experience. Make some notes under the following headings (realistically this shouldn't take more than an afternoon or so to gather everything you need to include, and you have plenty of time to draft and get feedback):

- Why you want to be a doctor (motivation)
    - Work experience (exploration)
    - Volunteering (exploration)
    - Wider reading (exploration)
    - Extracurricular (suitability)
    - Conclusion (motivation)

You can find out everything you need to know about writing an excellent PS for Medicine here!

4 and 5. Biology and Chemistry exams - dedicate a few hours a day to revising for these (perhaps you could split your revision timetable three ways: UKCAT prep, Biology revision, Chemistry revision). Split the syllabus into bite-size topics, creating mindmaps and flashcards - and ask friends/family to test you and help you out. We have lots of revision guides on our blogs - here are a couple:
    - How to create an effective revision timetable
    - A-Level Chemistry revision: top 5 tips
    - A-Level Biology revision: top 5 tips

As a side note: also make sure you have some days off as you deserve it and it's very important to have a break!

Good luck - you can do it
    The Medic Portal

ReputationRep:
    Hey guys,
    Take your time - get everything into perspective and probs look at joining a course to get a mentor to review your personal statement. There are lots out there. From speaking to 'amyfox' she has recommended MediPrep. I am also looking to enrol with them as they provide you a mentor for support whenever you need it.

Good luck and keep calm!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slowdive)
    Seriously, unless you're a doctor I suggest you get a grip. There's also no reason OP would have to be in A&E, there are so many other specialities. I could bet my life that even experienced doctors get stressed, and sometimes struggle to handle their job. OP don't be put off, you're feeling like the majority of Medicine applicants.
    Couldn't have said it better myself!

ReputationRep:
    But it is true unfortunately. It's also true, however, that this responsibility over your application will be overwhelming and new so you just need to take a deep breath and take things as they come. This means you need to allocate your time this summer carefully to different things. The most important is your UKCAT so spend the most time on this until the 22nd (I would also do a *little* bit of revision every day too just to keep things ticking over). During your work placements, you'll have breaks where you can work towards your personal statement and then at home you can revise for your exams. A personal statement, whilst important, is better done bit by bit than all together anyways.

ReputationRep:
    Applications don't have to be in until Oct anyway so your PS can wait until after UKCAT/ work experience. Are you working at A standard at the moment? If you are then no need to flap - even if you score lower they will predict you an A I'm sure.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.