Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello
    If I took a leave of absence, but then decided during the leave to not return to Uni, would the leave of absence period count towards previous study?

My situation is I studied a diploma in nursing from Sept 2008 - July 2010, July 2010 is when I took the leave of absence, I decided not to return to my course and informed the uni of this mid way through my leave of absence, would the leave of absence period up until informing the uni count towards previous study?

Thanks for any help
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea05)
    Hello
    If I took a leave of absence, but then decided during the leave to not return to Uni, would the leave of absence period count towards previous study?

My situation is I studied a diploma in nursing from Sept 2008 - July 2010, July 2010 is when I took the leave of absence, I decided not to return to my course and informed the uni of this mid way through my leave of absence, would the leave of absence period up until informing the uni count towards previous study?

Thanks for any help
    Unless your university messed up and notified sfe/SLC that you attended while your studies were suspended then it won't count
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea05)
    Hello

Thanks for any help
    Hi lea05,

As long as you completed the academic year and then never returned the absence itself would not count as previous study.

It may be worth while calling us on 0300 100 0607 just to make sure that no suspensions or withdrawals had been sent over by the College/University.

Warm regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Shaun D SFE)
    Hi lea05,

As long as you completed the academic year and then never returned the absence itself would not count as previous study.

It may be worth while calling us on 0300 100 0607 just to make sure that no suspensions or withdrawals had been sent over by the College/University.

Warm regards.
    Hi
    I didn't complete the year I never gained a qualification from my time there, I was mean't to return to year one again after the leave of absence, does this mean it will count as previous study?

here is a breakdown of my time at uni:
    I started a nursing diploma in Sept 2008 but took a leave of absence in May 2009 after falling behind in my studies, I then re-joined the course on a new cohort in January 2010 to complete year one, but again took a leave of absence starting July 2010.

I never returned to the course after July 2010 to complete year one and I let my Uni know that I would not be returning (withdrawing) about mid-way through this 2nd leave of absence.

does this equal 2 years of previous study?

I'm sorry i'm not quite sure what you mean about making sure no suspensions or withdrawals had been sent over by the college/university?

Thanks for your help.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea05)
    Hi
    I didn't complete the year I never gained a qualification from my time there, I was mean't to return to year one again after the leave of absence, does this mean it will count as previous study?

I'm sorry i'm not quite sure what you mean about making sure no suspensions or withdrawals had been sent over by the college/university?

Thanks for your help.
    Hi again lea05,

It depends on what you mean by leave of absence. If you leave part way through an academic year the University or College usually confirms you have suspended or withdrawn which may impact your future study.

If you can call us on 0300 100 0607 we can advise you on what funding you have remaining based on your previous applications.

Warm regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by lea05)
    Hi

I started a nursing diploma in Sept 2008 but took a leave of absence in May 2009 after falling behind in my studies, I then re-joined the course on a new cohort in January 2010 to complete year one, but again took a leave of absence starting July 2010.

I never returned to the course after July 2010 to complete year one and I let my Uni know that I would not be returning (withdrawing) about mid-way through this 2nd leave of absence.

does this equal 2 years of previous study?

Thanks for your help.
    This would be two years of previous study, so when working out your new funding it would be included in the calculation.

If you were to do a new 3 year course for example, it would be 3 +1 additional year of support minus your 2 years previous and this gives you 2 years of full support remaining for years 2 and 3.

You would have to self fund year 1 tuition fees unless there was any compelling personal reasons for your withdrawal/suspension.

Warm regards.

ReputationRep:
    Hi again lea05,

It depends on what you mean by leave of absence. If you leave part way through an academic year the University or College usually confirms you have suspended or withdrawn which may impact your future study.

If you can call us on 0300 100 0607 we can advise you on what funding you have remaining based on your previous applications.

Warm regards.
    Hi again thanks very much again for your help,

I started a nursing diploma in Sept 2008 but took a leave of absence (suspended my studies) in May 2009 after falling behind in my studies, I then re-joined the course on a new cohort in January 2010 to complete year one, but again suspended my studies starting July 2010.

I never received student finance for this course (tuition fee loan or maintenance) so don't have previous applications to SFE, but I am aware this time still counts as previous study.

Would this equal 2 years of previous study?

ReputationRep:
    This would be two years of previous study, so when working out your new funding it would be included in the calculation.

If you were to do a new 3 year course for example, it would be 3 +1 additional year of support minus your 2 years previous and this gives you 2 years of full support remaining for years 2 and 3.

You would have to self fund year 1 tuition fees unless there was any compelling personal reasons for your withdrawal/suspension.

Warm regards.
    Sorry I missed this post, Thank you very much for your help.

I have savings to pay for year one of my new course so that's all fine.

I just wanted to make sure I definitely only had 2 years of previous study and that the 2nd leave of absence period up until telling the uni I wouldn't be returning (I told them this in Feb 2011, just remembered this) didn't count as previous study, as that would have then made 3 years?

I also never received tuition fees or maintenance from sfe for this course but I am aware it still counts as previous study.

Thanks again

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.