Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Driving test, attempt no. 2 Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey everyone,

So I had my first test yesterday and failed. Five minors and a serious for speeding..?! To be fair, my instructor has had a few pupils fail on the same road for the same reason (Moorgate in Rotherham if anyone knows the area)

Anyway, I had booked my second test for the 15th of September but I've managed to get a cancellation for the 18th of August at 8.10. Now I'm debating if I should change it or not due to it being rush hour. There'll be no school kids/school crossings to worry about, just the usual commuters. (Plus I won't have to take unpaid time off from work, given I pass)

I work in a school and usually have my lessons in the tea time rush hour, no problem, but I get so anxious with anything like this. Yesterday I was so nervous that I was up the night before vomiting/nervous pooping and on my test I was a wreck. I'm actually surprised I did as well as I did, all things considered. My heart was racing and I was sweating so much I actually slipped on my gear changes a few times. Considering seeing my GP as I tried Rescue Remedy to no avail.

I know that if I deserve to pass on the day then I will, no matter the time. I guess I'm just wondering what your guys' thoughts and feelings about it are.

ReputationRep:
    Lol I failed my first yesterday too but much worse than yours. As in 2 dangerous and one serious faults. Either way you just gotta improve your mistakes. Mine was simply rushing so it could of been pressure. Just dont worry about it, you will do better than previous because you worked on your weakness.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KFrostMU)
    Lol I failed my first yesterday too but much worse than yours. As in 2 dangerous and one serious faults. Either way you just gotta improve your mistakes. Mine was simply rushing so it could of been pressure. Just dont worry about it, you will do better than previous because you worked on your weakness.
    It's the worst feeling ever - the thing is I haven't really got anything to work on. It was a case of being so nervous that I saw a marker in the distance and thought I was going to fail for going too slow! I sped up before the marker My brain just turned to mush! I even went wrong on a roundabout but came off at the correct exit and did so safely. Two hillstarts on a hill I'd cried on the week before because I couldn't do it. Argh! So gutted..

ReputationRep:
    Driving is all about practice and passing the actual test is largely down to luck on the day (i.e. not encountering any idiot drivers), confidence behind the wheel and keeping calm.

I took my driving test three times!! Both times I failed I took the test during a "quiet" period of the afternoon and I passed on my third time which I took during rush hour. If you think the 18 August will allow you enough time to iron out the mistakes you made in your first test then I say go for it!

I think your biggest challenge (by the sounds of it) is keeping calm and trying to keep your anxiety under control as much as possible. It is not abnormal to have anxiety when you drive (especially when taking your test) but it is important you have it under control so it does not effect your reactions etc. I find if i'm feeling particularly stressed or anxious whilst driving taking some deep breaths and dropping my speed slightly so I feel more in control helps alot.

Try not to get yourself so worked up over it (I know this is easier said than done). Although failing again would be fustrating (both in terms of financial commitment and time) it is not the end of the world and if you keep persevering you will pass!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.