Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

I applied for goldsmiths halls on the very first day of applications opening and still did not manage to get a place. I've just been emailed that I'm on the waiting list, and tbh its really confusing to know where to start to look for alternative accomodations. I live in London but still would take me over an hour to commute to Goldsmiths.

If anyone has any advice or is in the same position as me, please get back to me!!

Also, I am a prospective student and have firmed Goldsmith to study English Lit starting this Sept/Oct.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    Student Spare Room - spare rooms in existing flat shares : https://student.spareroom.co.uk/

Other places to rent on : https://www.studenttenant.com/
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by karipin)
    Hi,

I applied for goldsmiths halls on the very first day of applications opening and still did not manage to get a place. I've just been emailed that I'm on the waiting list, and tbh its really confusing to know where to start to look for alternative accomodations. I live in London but still would take me over an hour to commute to Goldsmiths.

If anyone has any advice or is in the same position as me, please get back to me!!

Also, I am a prospective student and have firmed Goldsmith to study English Lit starting this Sept/Oct.

Thanks!
    1. They allocate on the basis of date applied, but also distance.

2. They only have about 1000 places abd a lot more first years than that, so its not unsurprising you didnt get a place.

3. Contact accommodation and find out where you are on the waiting list and take their advice on your chances of being give a place eventually. They can estimate how many no shows and peoples who leave.they are likely to get.

4. Ask about housing fairs and especially find a flatmate. Ideally you can be put in contact with many of the other first years looking, so you can rent the house together on an equal basis rather than going into an existing clique.

http://www.gold.ac.uk/accommodation/alternative/

5. Student rents are going to be 52 week contracts plus you will need a deposit 4-8 weeks rent and your first months rent in advance. You will also have agency fees to contend with.. You will also need a guarantor.

6. The fact you live in London means its not impossible, so theres no need to panic.

7. If you hit an existing student house then you could well save money if the contract had started earlier than september. Some of them being in the summer. That could save you money, so its not all bad.

ReputationRep:
    I'm in the same situation too,
    trying not to panic!

ReputationRep:
    thanks so much for the advice above!

(Original post by john.tsui)
    I'm in the same situation too,
    trying not to panic!
    what are you planning to do then?

ReputationRep:
    i've emailed the accommodation department about the probability of me getting a place, in the mean time im just looking at stuff like mcmillan student housing and charter in lewisham

there's also a goldsmiths SU housing group on Facebook that you can join thats really quite useful

Good luck!!

ReputationRep:
    Yeah thats the same as me. I applied on the first day and got an unconditional offer to study at goldsmiths, but didnt get into accomodation either. It will probs take me about 45 mins - 1 hour to get there by train.
    I think its best to not rely on the waiting list and get private accomodation instead because there is no guarentee of getting anything plus you could be waiting for weeks after the term starts to hear back from them about an opening in halls.

hope it all works out for you

ReputationRep:
    Hi

I don't know if you've seen this but there are a few places left in Landale House, which used to be a Goldsmiths Hall (just over 100 people) but now seems to be run independently, but Goldsmiths students can still get in - plus other students from other unis which I quite like the idea of.

I think the transition to independent management has meant that they've got some deals going and I think that an all inclusive (all bills for elec/gas/wifi/water are covered within your rent) room with shared bathroom and kitchen facilities between 4 or 5 bedrooms in a flat, plus other communal spaces for everyone. I think it's £175/week (down from almost £200). So similar to the actual Goldsmiths Halls that I didn't get into. I had been looking at private rental but prefer the idea of being with a lot of students rather than just a few in a flat.

It's right next to Southwark Park (good for runners) and opposite a leisure centre/gym and close to a big Tesco. Canada Water and Surrey Quays are 3-5mins away then 1-2 stops to New Cross or New Cross Gate so about 20-25 mins door to uni. Cost of a monthly Zone 2 student travelcard for all trains and buses is £66, so I figure that works for me so booked yesterday! The rental is for 51 weeks but I want to try and get some summer work up in Canary Wharf or I might find someone to cover the summer.

http://wearehomesforstudents.com/london-landale-house - website shows more availability than there is now, but there is a cancellation period which means you can book now and if results aren't what you hoped you can exit without penalty.
    Hope that helps...

ReputationRep:
    Two words my friend: Spare Room.

Best website to use, it's still a bit difficult to find places because of London in general, it's worth trying the Forest Hill area, it's nice and quite convienient to get to Goldsmiths from.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.