Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

If you only eat 10g of fat per day how much weight will you lose? Watch

Announcements

I was on a diet but now I am in hospital and can not go to the gym or move. If I ate 10g of fat per day for the rest of this month and all of august, how much weight would I lose? I'm hoping for 7lbs at least!

ReputationRep:
    Depends. If you ate 10g of fat per day but also ate 500g of carbs and 100g of protein, that's a total of 2490 calories a day. If your TDEE was about 2000, you would actually gain weight over time still.

Now that your question has been answered, couple of bits of advice. Firstly - a diet very low in fats is incredibly unhealthy, since fats are essential for various functions within the body. Secondly, don't try and diet while you're in hospital, your body needs fuel to recover from whatever it is you're in there for. Focus on eating good, healthy food, getting plenty of vitamins and minerals in as well as plenty of fluids, then hopefully crack on once you're alright again.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WoodyMKC)
    Depends. If you ate 10g of fat per day but also ate 500g of carbs and 100g of protein, that's a total of 2490 calories a day. If your TDEE was about 2000, you would actually gain weight over time still.

Now that your question has been answered, couple of bits of advice. Firstly - a diet very low in fats is incredibly unhealthy, since fats are essential for various functions within the body. Secondly, don't try and diet while you're in hospital, your body needs fuel to recover from whatever it is you're in there for. Focus on eating good, healthy food, getting plenty of vitamins and minerals in as well as plenty of fluids, then hopefully crack on once you're alright again.

This.

It baffles me that the vast majority of people don't understand how weight loss, gain and maintenance works. This seriously needs to be taught better in schools and on a yearly basis minimum. Because the ignorance is shocking, it's not a hard concept, it's no wonder people constantly try and fail to lose weight. They don't have a clue what they're doing.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SophieSmall)
    It baffles me that the vast majority of people don't understand how weight loss, gain and maintenance works. This seriously needs to be taught better in schools and on a yearly basis minimum. Because the ignorance is shocking, it's not a hard concept, it's no wonder people constantly try and fail to lose weight. They don't have a clue what they're doing.
    Totally agree. It's all so simple as well that it would only take up a small chunk of the curriculum. A few lessons would easily cover how it all works. It's not just the lack of understanding about how it all works that gets me, it's also the "what exercise is best for burning fat?" type questions - people get confused when you tell them it doesn't matter what type of exercise you do, the harder you work the more calories you'll burn and that's pretty much the crux of it, when it should be common knowledge. People know the ins and outs of the internet, forums and social media, but have absolutely no idea about how their own body works.

ReputationRep:

People like OP who don't know about macros hurt my feelings

ReputationRep:
    Totally agree. It's all so simple as well that it would only take up a small chunk of the curriculum. A few lessons would easily cover how it all works. It's not just the lack of understanding about how it all works that gets me, it's also the "what exercise is best for burning fat?" type questions - people get confused when you tell them it doesn't matter what type of exercise you do, the harder you work the more calories you'll burn and that's pretty much the crux of it, when it should be common knowledge. People know the ins and outs of the internet, forums and social media, but have absolutely no idea about how their own body works.

Pretty much. Lack of/ poor education in childhood mixed with ridiculous media sensationalism and misinformation about weight and weight loss leads to a very ignorant and confused population.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JordLndr)
    People like OP who don't know about macros hurt my feelings
    People who actually irritate me more are those when you explain the basics that go "That's too complicated for me, I ain't got time to weigh and count things" - right, well, if you just eat healthily and avoid junk food you'll likely take in less calories by proxy, but you'll also still probably have to reduce your caloric intake further by getting more exercise in if you're still not losing the weight and/or reduce your portion sizes - "But I can't just stop eating chips and burgers, I'll be miserable!" - well, those are your two options, pick one or stay the same.

Just realised finishing that up I've practically just had a conversation with myself :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    People who actually irritate me more are those when you explain the basics that go "That's too complicated for me, I ain't got time to weigh and count things" - right, well, if you just eat healthily and avoid junk food you'll likely take in less calories by proxy, but you'll also still probably have to reduce your caloric intake further by getting more exercise in if you're still not losing the weight and/or reduce your portion sizes - "But I can't just stop eating chips and burgers, I'll be miserable!" - well, those are your two options, pick one or stay the same.

Just realised finishing that up I've practically just had a conversation with myself :rofl:
    Haha, it's True though. You always hear people complaining but they don't put the effort in.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 25, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.