Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hello, I need to make a choice between bristol or strathclyde for electrical and electronic engineering? If I choose strathclyde does it means that ( the university isn't that famous as Glasgow or Bristol ) the quality of teaching wouldn't be as high as Bristol for example.

I am an EU citizen and 2K pound/year is financially better for me than 9k.

I need to make my final decision as soon as possible. I have always wanted to be in Glasgow uni,but they didn't accept me for 0.03 points margin.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimensional)
    Hello, I need to make a choice between bristol or strathclyde for electrical and electronic engineering? If I choose strathclyde does it means that ( the university isn't that famous as Glasgow or Bristol ) the quality of teaching wouldn't be high as Bristol for example.

I need to make my final decision as soon as possible. I have always wanted to be in Glasgow uni,but they didn't accept me for 0.03 points margin.
    I don't know much about strathclyde. But I can tell you that both of the cities are amazing! Glasgow will be a lot more cultural than Bristol, but Bristol is also a great city.

Bristol is a very good university, looking at Strathclyde, it's also a very good research university - don't look too much at rankings; look at what the research that is being done, along with the researchers that are doing it - this is the research that you may want to get involved in, in the later years.

So, a bit of research is needed really for your specific subject, with the lecturers for that subject(s).

As for cities, I would pick Glasgow; but there is a caveat here: I love Scottish people! But Bristol has a famous nightlife.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Strathclyde has a long history of excellence in engineering, and STEM more broadly. There is no reason to suppose the teaching would be inferior - in fact quite possibly the opposite, given its focus is on these subjects.

You may want to consider other factors, such as housing availability for once you leave halls, whether you intend to travel home during the holidays and how this will factor in to your plans, casual or part time job availability if you do intend to remain the city and work over the summer period, etc, etc.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dimensional)
    Hello, I need to make a choice between bristol or strathclyde for electrical and electronic engineering? If I choose strathclyde does it means that ( the university isn't that famous as Glasgow or Bristol ) the quality of teaching wouldn't be high as Bristol for example.

Strathclyde is generally considered the best engineering department in Scotland and one of the best in the UK. The university might not be as well known to people not in engineering as Bristol or Glasgow, possibly due to not sharing the same name as a large city, but I wouldn't let that put you off. Bristol and Glasgow are pretty good too. I would look at the difference in fees - and don't you get them paid on your behalf if you attend university in Scotland, essentially making it free?

ReputationRep:
    I'm about to start electronic engineering in Glasgow in September and Strathclyde was my insurance, so I've done a fair share of research on both. My final decision had nothing to do with quality of teaching. I would have been perfectly happy to go there. I've only read good things about Strathclyde - I've read that it's the better engineering school between the two, is rated better for certain engineering disciplines and has better industry links (internships are important). If you wanted to go to Glasgow, there is no reason to write off Strathclyde. They're on par, they're in the same city, you can even use Glasgow's library.

In the end, it's how well you do in the course and what work experience you get in that time. Think about what you can do with the 7K/year that you save. Have a nicer place to live, be less dependent on additional income, meaning you can look for work that interests you and is relevant to your future plans.

ReputationRep:
    Bristol is one of the best Universities in the world for Engineering. This goes back generations, and the links with industry are well established, with major research ££ funding. The city is amazing - its a great place to be a student.

Catalogue of MEng EEE units here : http://www.bris.ac.uk/unit-programme...Code=4EENG006U

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.