Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

should i read fiction or non-fiction to improve my sentence structure? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by WutJob..)
    Depends on what you're wanting to improve your sentence structure for. Both styles are quite different, but non-fiction is the much easier style to do (I am a writer myself). However, the best advice is to learn to write in two ways: 1. In a report form (not too much fluff) 2. In a conversational tone (the style I'm using right now, it reads like we're talking face-to-face). If you learn both styles and the differences, it will give you a massive edge. If I were to make any recommendations, I'd actually look for some non-fiction books that are about this very subject, then you can get a very nuts & bolts look at it. The issue with fiction is when you end up with an excellent book, one you can get lost in. If the writing is great, it's harder to look for how the sentence is structured, because you're completely lost within the book. I hope that makes sense and helps you!

Regards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by KieranAdam)
    Depends on what you're wanting to improve your sentence structure for. Both styles are quite different, but non-fiction is the much easier style to do (I am a writer myself). However, the best advice is to learn to write in two ways: 1. In a report form (not too much fluff) 2. In a conversational tone (the style I'm using right now, it reads like we're talking face-to-face). If you learn both styles and the differences, it will give you a massive edge. If I were to make any recommendations, I'd actually look for some non-fiction books that are about this very subject, then you can get a very nuts & bolts look at it. The issue with fiction is when you end up with an excellent book, one you can get lost in. If the writing is great, it's harder to look for how the sentence is structured, because you're completely lost within the book. I hope that makes sense and helps you!

Regards.
    Yes-it does. Thanks. So you'd recommend that I first start reading any non-fiction book. What then... I keep reading them until I start noticing a change and then move to other genre? I really want to improve my writing, hopefully up to your standard so any help will be beneficial! I often get depressed thinking about how poor I write.

ReputationRep:
    Yes-it does. Thanks. So you'd recommend that I first start reading any non-fiction book. What then... I keep reading them until I start noticing a change and then move to other genre? I really want to improve my writing, hopefully up to your standard so any help will be beneficial! I often get depressed thinking about how poor I write.
    Bro, if you saw my actual handwriting......... I'm not perfect by any means hahahahahahaha. Looking back, I'd add another thing which I totally forgot. Write! I know that sounds crazy, but dedicate something like an hour every day of just writing, even if it's terrible. While writing and reading at the same time you will get better. I seriously wouldn't worry about how you write, it's not worth getting deppressed over. Remember, any half decent book has been proofread by someone who isn't the author (should be a professional). If you read any first draft of any book, I'd imagine you'd get a surprise. When you get a book, you're only getting the final product. That collection of words has been through many drafts, edited and proofread to make it "perfect". Take out the time, be disciplined, and you'll get what you're after. I wish you the very best. If you have anymore questions, drop me a message.

Regards

ReputationRep:
    Reading works by different poets may give you a better perception of your sense of rhythm.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Onde)
    Reading works by different poets may give you a better perception of your sense of rhythm.
    Poems are unusually written; it's not going to help me with sentence structure, is it?

ReputationRep:
    Poems are unusually written; it's not going to help me with sentence structure, is it?
    I find that a lot of non-fiction is written in a very clunky fashion that does not read very well. Often, it seems like sentences are started by the author without any thought of how the sentence is going to end. Reading poems may help you find a pleasing cadence more readily and perhaps teach you to write more succinctly.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.