Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Should I make changes to my CV? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I plan on doing some volunteer work at a company to gain work experience and a reference, the problem is in the city where i'm doing it they have two stores Store A and Store B.

The problem is in Store A which is on my CV I didn't do so well mainly because it was a clothing store which I didn't know much about clothing, but I stayed because I didn't know about store B, and was desperate for experience.

So my question is this, since I messed up so bad at store A that I didn't gain a reference, and I just wasn't good at my job should I take it off so store B doesn't know because that's where i'm interested in working.
    • Community Assistant
    • CV Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by James3200)
    So I plan on doing some volunteer work at a company to gain work experience and a reference, the problem is in the city where i'm doing it they have two stores Store A and Store B.

The problem is in Store A which is on my CV I didn't do so well mainly because it was a clothing store which I didn't know much about clothing, but I stayed because I didn't know about store B, and was desperate for experience.

So my question is this, since I messed up so bad at store A that I didn't gain a reference, and I just wasn't good at my job should I take it off so store B doesn't know because that's where i'm interested in working.
    Not following you. You plan on doing some volunteer work? What has this got to do with Stores A and B?

You have worked at Store A and got fired - yes?

Are you applying to store B and it is the same company as Store A? If so, they possibly have an electronic application process and will have your records anyway.

Broadly, if you get fired from a job, you have to weigh up which is more difficult - if you leave it off, you can't use it as experience, which you may well need. If you put it on, then can't get a reference, that may need some explaining, especially if it is your immediately previous job.

ReputationRep:
    Are there other people you could ask for a reference? If possible, try to leave Job A on as it shows you have retail experience which would be useful for future roles.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.