Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My son's father died 10 years ago tomorrow. AMA. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Hi Markova, how did he die!?

How old is your son now?
    Did you manage to move on and find love?

(You ever want a chat drop me a pm)
    He was a chronic alcoholic, who suffered from BiPolar disorder, general depression, etc. I walked into his house. His mother and sister were worried about him as they had not heard from him for a few days. I let myself in with my spare key and found him lay on the top of his bed, stone cold dead. He was as cold as a piece of marble. The death certificate said "Alcohol and Drug Toxicity". That's a nice way of saying he committed suicide. My son is 20 and I briefly found love but he cheated on me with his ex.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by shameful_burrito)
    Sorry to hear that.

Is that you in your profile picture?
    Yes, that's me in my profile picture in one of my costumes I wore when I was dancing in Japan for three years. [ A long time ago].!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    He was a chronic alcoholic, who suffered from BiPolar disorder, general depression, etc. I walked into his house. His mother and sister were worried about him as they had not heard from him for a few days. I let myself in with my spare key and found him lay on the top of his bed, stone cold dead. He was as cold as a piece of marble. The death certificate said "Alcohol and Drug Toxicity". That's a nice way of saying he committed suicide. My son is 20 and I briefly found love but he cheated on me with his ex.
    Ahh thats so sad. Happened to a female relative of mine not too long ago. How is your son doing, You have a good relationship with him?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joel 96)
    Were you the father? What the ****.
    I am female.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ClearSky)
    Forgot about that, right.
    So her ex?
    Yes. We were going to marry but he wouldn't [ couldn't ] stop drinking. Then he hit me when I was 4 months pregnant and I left him and moved back to Manchester. Moved BACK to Northern Ireland after my mum died when my son was 2. Stupidly we got back together again. Then broke up. Then got back together, etc. Insane.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Betelgeuse-)
    Ahh thats so sad. Happened to a female relative of mine not too long ago. How is your son doing, You have a good relationship with him?
    Yes, me and my son are close. He's a lovely, kind, gentle lad. Wouldn't harm a fly.

ReputationRep:
    Yes. We were going to marry but he wouldn't [ couldn't ] stop drinking. Then he hit me when I was 4 months pregnant and I left him and moved back to Manchester. Moved BACK to Northern Ireland after my mum died when my son was 2. Stupidly we got back together again. Then broke up. Then got back together, etc. Insane.
    Oh no... that sounds horrible!
    Do you still miss him?

ReputationRep:
    Deshi Basara

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    So sorry to hear about this! How have you been coping these past few years? Have you found any other ways to try and get your mind off it, e.g. possibly finding new hobbies?

No, not necessarily
    To be honest, most of the time i'm fine. Life goes on, and all that. I had stopped loving him a good few years earlier and we were no longer together. I was at times more his carer than anything. Ordering his Detox script off the doctor, booking his place in Cuan Mhuire, the local addiction centre. Cleaning up his house for him while he was away in Detox, etc. It just hits me around this date [ well tomorrow, 26th]. I never, ever go to Ballina in County Mayo, anymore. That's where he's buried and everywhere reminds me of him. THAT upsets me. He was 52.

ReputationRep:
    Oh no... that sounds horrible!
    Do you still miss him?
    I do sometimes. It hits me this time of year, around the anniversary of his death. It has been incredibly difficult bringing our son up alone with no -one to turn to for advice and guidance at times.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by orderofthelotus)
    What was your favourite subject in school?
    French. Absolutely loved it. But sadly i've forgotten nearly all of it now.

ReputationRep:
    I've never done one of these ask me anythings before. Been on tsr practically all day today. Just trying to take my mind off things. Anyway feel free to ask me anything about him or what happened, if you want. P.S. Even though he's been on my mind, it no longer upsets me, so don't worry.
    In these situations i find this question very important....
    Ferrero rocher or Lindor?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apeshit007)
    In these situations i find this question very important....
    Ferrero rocher or Lindor?
    Lindor.
    • Section Leader
    • Very Important Poster
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    I do sometimes. It hits me this time of year, around the anniversary of his death. It has been incredibly difficult bringing our son up alone with no -one to turn to for advice and guidance at times.
    Your son must be a similar age to what I was when mine died. That must have been incredibly difficult, my mum had the rest of our family to help her cope after my dad died. Even if he doesn't always say it I m sure your son is very grateful to have you in his life.

ReputationRep:
    Lindor.
    YESSSSSSSSSSS! SOMEONE THAT DOES'NT SAY FERRERO!
    Respect bro, respect

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by claireestelle)
    Your son must be a similar age to what I was when mine died. That must have been incredibly difficult, my mum had the rest of our family to help her cope after my dad died. Even if he doesn't always say it I m sure your son is very grateful to have you in his life.
    Thank you Claire. Yes, he has said he is a few times. [ Or words to that effect] ! Sean was ten. Ironically the same age as me when my dad died. And the same age as my grandfather when HIS father died.

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever date someone else after the birth of your son?

ReputationRep:
    Did you ever date someone else after the birth of your son?
    Yes. For a few months. But unfortunately he thought it was a good idea to continue having sex with his ex at the same time. So I dumped him.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by apeshit007)
    YESSSSSSSSSSS! SOMEONE THAT DOES'NT SAY FERRERO!
    Respect bro, respect
    Don't really like Ferrero's that much. Granted i'd eat them if I was desperate for chocolate and there was nothing else in !! BTW, you DO know i'm female, don't you?

ReputationRep:
    Yes. For a few months. But unfortunately he thought it was a good idea to continue having sex with his ex at the same time. So I dumped him.
    Well done tho, good choice :happy2:

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.