Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

My son's father died 10 years ago tomorrow. AMA. Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by markova21)
    I don't think so, no. For years after I drummed into him to not drink alcohol as it ruined his father's life, etc. I inadvertently put the fear of God into him !! But his friends were beginning to drink and he felt left out a bit. I know for a fact they all actually persuaded him just a few year ago not to worry and a few drinks were not going to turn him into a raging alcoholic, just because his father had been. The really ironic thing is his father was born and brought up in a pub !! His parents bought it a few years before they were all born [ one of 7 children]. His father was an alcoholic too. Like me, his 91 year old mother [ must ring her tomorrow, that reminds me] never ever drank and thinks it's evil, like I do. There's a memorial service for him on Friday. My son is travelling down the previous day and will hopefully have a nice time with all his dad's relatives. They're such nice people. I can't go anywhere near Mayo. There are too many memories of his father everywhere. Even though it's now been 10 years it's just too painful. Plus my Social Phobia doesn't exactly help.
    Ah, I have social anxiety myself and I'm from Ireland. It's great that your son still has contact with his dad's side of the family. He also has a mum who clearly loves him to bits. I've learned that everyone has issues to deal with, however happy they appear on the surface. Your son worth he just fine

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nirvana1989-1994)
    That's an interesting choice. I'm sure he'll be successful. I've recently also wanted to get into teaching too.

I hope that the entry grades stay they same, I'm sure they will.

Also, can I ask, why won't he get the student finance loan for the course? Sorry if it's a dumb question. I did BTEC Extended Diploma in Applied Science.
    Do you know how you only get a total of 4 years Higher Eduation funding? Well this stupid HND, instead of being equivalent to the first TWO years of a degree, id only equal to the first year. Even though it lasted two years and cost £2,500 each year. He only has 2 years of funding left. If he wanted to do Early Childhood Studies he has been told the Social Carw courses he has studied previously don't correlate, and he will have to start that degree back at Year One. Have found out they only fund Years 2 and 3 and you are expected to find the money for the first year plus the firs year accommodation fees and money to live on himself. If he did ECS, because he still has 2 yrs of funding left, his Student Loan will only kick in once more once he is in the 2nd year .[ The HND was only worth 120 credits, instead of the usual 240].

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by YaliaV)
    Ah, I have social anxiety myself and I'm from Ireland. It's great that your son still has contact with his dad's side of the family. He also has a mum who clearly loves him to bits. I've learned that everyone has issues to deal with, however happy they appear on the surface. Your son worth he just fine

Posted from TSR Mobile
    Many thanks, Yalia. Whereabouts are you [ if you don't mind me asking]?
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Do you know how you only get a total of 4 years Higher Eduation funding? Well this stupid HND, instead of being equivalent to the first TWO years of a degree, id only equal to the first year. Even though it lasted two years and cost £2,500 each year. He only has 2 years of funding left. If he wanted to do Early Childhood Studies he has been told the Social Carw courses he has studied previously don't correlate, and he will have to start that degree back at Year One. Have found out they only fund Years 2 and 3 and you are expected to find the money for the first year plus the firs year accommodation fees and money to live on himself. If he did ECS, because he still has 2 yrs of funding left, his Student Loan will only kick in once more once he is in the 2nd year .[ The HND was only worth 120 credits, instead of the usual 240].
    That's awful.

I don't know how on earth they expect students to just have that type of money.

Does he work currently or looking?

ReputationRep:
    That's awful.

I don't know how on earth they expect students to just have that type of money.

Does he work currently or looking?
    His course finished on 6th June. But he didn't want to just leave the Primary School placement, simply because his college course had ended. So he asked them and they said yes, and for four weeks he went into the primary school, Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm for the four weeks until the end of the school term on the last day of June. It cost a fair bit as it's in a rural area and he had to get a taxi there and back each day. But the school have been great with him, and it was only for 4 weeks so we persevered with being skint !! When the school year ended , and on his last day there, which was 23 June he was able to make an appointment to claim Jobseeker's Allowance the following week. So he has just started looking ,really.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

His course finished on 6th June. But he didn't want to just leave the Primary School placement, simply because his college course had ended. So he asked them and they said yes, and for four weeks he went into the primary school, Monday to Friday, 9am to 3pm for the four weeks until the end of the school term on the last day of June. It cost a fair bit as it's in a rural area and he had to get a taxi there and back each day. But the school have been great with him, and it was only for 4 weeks so we persevered with being skint !! When the school year ended , and on his last day there, which was 23 June he was able to make an appointment to claim Jobseeker's Allowance the following week. So he has just started looking ,really.
    Ah, I see.

I'm sure he will be successful in his job search.

ReputationRep:
    Ah, I see.

I'm sure he will be successful in his job search.
    Let's hope so !
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

Let's hope so !
    I'm sure he will.

ReputationRep:
    Don't really like Ferrero's that much. Granted i'd eat them if I was desperate for chocolate and there was nothing else in !! BTW, you DO know i'm female, don't you?
    You may be wasting your time repeating this, a lot of people on this site don't know what a female is. However, Pepsi or Coke (full flavoured,not diet)?

How do you eat Malteasers?

ReputationRep:
    Many thanks, Yalia. Whereabouts are you [ if you don't mind me asking]?
    I'm from Northern Ireland as well lol. Moving to Belfast soon

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doomsday Bunny)
    You may be wasting your time repeating this, a lot of people on this site don't know what a female is. However, Pepsi or Coke (full flavoured,not diet)?

How do you eat Malteasers?
    Coke. And with Malteasers, I just put them in my mouth and eat it all.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.