Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Struggling with an NPV / IRR Calculation for my Exec MBA, can anyone please help? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So I'm on the last question of my accounting and finance module for my MBA and i just can't wrap my head around it. So here's the question:
    Evaluate which showroom should be selected or rejected. (Ms Rachel Casper has suggested a preference for NPV method, however the CEO and Finance Director particularly are in favour of IRR. Use the WACC as your discount rate to evaluate the investment projects.
    The WACC I have worked out is 9.74% but I don't know whether its my constant study (whilst holding a full time job) but I just can't do this question. So here's the background info:
    The showroom would be leased over a period of 5 years and
    the total initial cost of investment is projected to be £20 million.
    City Centre
    It is expected that the City Centre showroom will increase the overall sales by 3.5 % and gross profit by 1.8 % every year. However, the fixed overhead will increase £200,000, £350,000 and £150,000 in first three years with £nil increase in years 4 and 5. All other costs are estimated to increase by 3.5% every year. In the second year company will need a working capital investment of £1 million, 40% of this value will be recovered in year 4. The company is following a straight line depreciation policy and it is calculated that at the end of year five the company could possibly sell the assets at 10 % of historical cost.
    Cross Gates
    On the other hand, if the showroom is opened at Cross Gate then it will require fixed overhead investment for four years - £250,000 in the first year, £nil in the second year, £180,000 in the third year, £210,000 in the fourth year and £110,000 in the fifth year. However, other costs will increase at a 2.5% rate per year. The working capital investment will be £800,000 in year three and 75% of it will be recovered in the last year. The sales and gross profit will increase at 3.2% and 1.5% respectively. The Company will follow the same policies for depreciation.

Literally any help you could give me would be so so greatly appreciated!!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.