Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Job HELP!!! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

ive applied to LOADS of jobs over the past 2 years and only got 1 interview (which i flopped terriby) I dont know what the issue is, ive volunteered at the BHF for 6 months as well as other experiences. I showed my CV to my schools career advisor and made a few amendments, i still have not been offered a single interview since. I would really like to help with this and would be greatful if someone could have a quick look at my CV.

Thank you
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    You can post your CV in CV Help as well but it does sound like a CV issue. Are you underqualified for the role? Are you listing relevant experience on your CV?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Hi,

ive applied to LOADS of jobs over the past 2 years and only got 1 interview (which i flopped terriby) I dont know what the issue is, ive volunteered at the BHF for 6 months as well as other experiences. I showed my CV to my schools career advisor and made a few amendments, i still have not been offered a single interview since. I would really like to help with this and would be greatful if someone could have a quick look at my CV.

Thank you
    BUMP

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    You can post your CV in CV Help as well but it does sound like a CV issue. Are you underqualified for the role? Are you listing relevant experience on your CV?
    Thank you, I have my GCSE's and predicted A level results so i should be qualified. How much experience do you think is needed to get a job in retail?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Thank you, I have my GCSE's and predicted A level results so i should be qualified. How much experience do you think is needed to get a job in retail?
    none at all, the day I finished my GCSE exam I went to TKmax and handed in my cv and on the same day I got the job, i only had two weeks of work experience at Oxfam
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    I'm not too familiar with retail, it probably depends where you're applying to. Big supermarket chains or independent high street shops?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the one 123)
    none at all, the day I finished my GCSE exam I went to TKmax and handed in my cv and on the same day I got the job, i only had two weeks of work experience at Oxfam
    Really, ive tried doing that to loads of different shops and have never recieved a reply

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by UWS)
    I'm not too familiar with retail, it probably depends where you're applying to. Big supermarket chains or independent high street shops?
    Ive been applying to both
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Ive been applying to both
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Really, ive tried doing that to loads of different shops and have never recieved a reply
    You probably need your CV looked at, pop it in CV Help and the team will get back to you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    go to the shops and say" can I talk to the manager" give the cv to the manager

ReputationRep:
    go to the shops and say" can I talk to the manager" give the cv to the manager
    Ive done that to quite alot of shops and never recieved an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Ive done that to quite alot of shops and never recieved an interview
    Keep trying, its long but its life

ReputationRep:
    In my experience, clothing shops are difficult to get a job in for students. Asda/Tesco are very good for students

ReputationRep:
    Retail jobs are quite competitive today, even people who are out of education will be applying and may have more experience. Like other posters have suggested, try targeting the larger shops and supermarkets. Have you also considered other jobs such as waitressing?

ReputationRep:
    This is really nice to get quick job in fw week. I am so glad you creativity and career choice

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    Hi,

Thank you
    Try mconalds. They take on a lot of students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Emma:-))
    Try mconalds. They take on a lot of students.
    I applied there and i didnt get an interview

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Sayfi)
    I applied there and i didnt get an interview
    You can still apply to other stores in your area.
    A friend of mine applied to one mcdonalds, didnt even get an interview then applied to another one in the area a couple of months or so later and got the job.

ReputationRep:
    I understand your frustration. Apart from adjusting your CV there's much I can say apart from keep applying and keep volunteering.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.