Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think chlorine washed chicken should be allowed for import into Britain? Watch

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)
    It is about the globalisation of commerce, taking regulation out of the hands of governments and into the hands of a few large multinationals. Globalisation has already gone too far (with business desires for cheap labour placed higher than the stability of nation states), and must be reined in significantly.

I suspect the superficially attractive freedoms that have grown over the past decades will be too persuasive for the young generation to resist their temptations, though, and the trend will continue with serious problems, like accommodation, overcrowding and political instability being ignored until it is too late to do anything about them.
    I agree with your first paragraph but not your second. I think the younger generation are now getting more politically aware of this and aware of their situation.

Back in the Blair era, when globalisation was creeping in the direction of pushing more power away from democratic institutions towards multinationals, people were distracted because by and large their self-interested desires were met. You could get cheap credit, get on the housing ladder, see fast increases in wealth just through the increase in value of your house. The system basically worked for you so why complain.

Young people today don't see the same benefits coming their way from the status quo. They are locked in to insecure jobs, insecure housing and burdened with debt, and when their eyes are being opened to the problems with the existing system, they aren't looking away with a "well I'm alright Jack" attitude. Hence the rising support for Corbyn.

I think the capture of globalisation by multinationals will only serve to destablise globalisation in the long run. Donald Trump ran on an anti-globalisation mandate but he's now back in the swamp working for the corporate lobbyists. But the likes of Corbyn and Sanders or whoever else might appear in that vein in the future won't.

I'd be interested to see how a Labour government led by Corbyn/McDonnell or one of their successors on the left would react to bringing in a regulation to protect public health / the environment and then getting sued by a US agrifood company. Would they play by the rules of international trade or would they tear up the trade treaty and refuse to honour it...?

ReputationRep:
    I don't have too much of a problem with chlorinated chicken. I do however have a problem with GM food and I definitely have a problem with meat produced using hormones and other chemical interventions.

My worry is that in a rush to do a deal the small print will not be read and we will end up in a position where US food can be sold in the UK but isn't labelled as such. So as consumers, we will be non-the-wiser about what is in our food or where it comes from. This would be a significant and massive step backwards to the days when food additives and colourings made kids (myself included) giddy.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MagicNMedicine)
    I'd be interested to see how a Labour government led by Corbyn/McDonnell
    A leftie government would be dangerous, as it would alienate commerce, ensure a toxic industrial relations climate, be too PC to turn away immigration and be too focused on social change to concentrate on preserving and growing the economy while reducing immigration and reining in multinationals in a non-damaging way.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by the bear)
    you are scratching around for rep :teehee:
    You must be new here:mute:

ReputationRep:
    A leftie government would be dangerous, as it would alienate commerce, ensure a toxic industrial relations climate, be too PC to turn away immigration and be too focused on social change to concentrate on preserving and growing the economy while reducing immigration and reining in multinationals in a non-damaging way.
    :yawn:

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ChaoticButterfly)
    :yawn:
    :sleep:
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    Don't want to eat chlorinated chicken with no proven detrimental effects to health? Cool, don't buy and eat chlorinated chicken, it really is a non issue, but then if they admitted that they would be failing at pushing project fear.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Jammy Duel)
    but then if they admitted that they would be failing at pushing project fear.
    Which side was Gove on?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    😂
    You are becoming a caricature. Broken record doesn't even come close.

Funny how 'alienating commerce' didn't seem to be an issue when so many big businesses were arguing in favour of EU membership....

'Too focused on social change'? You mean um like wanting to drastically reduce immigration and bringing back grammar schools?

Also are you happy about the Supreme Court's judgement this week banning Employment Trubunal fees, allowing people access to justice?

That was made possible by......Unions.

ReputationRep:
    I'm still forming an opinion.

Why is it used in the states? what's wrong with our chicken processing system here? are there any harmful implications of chlorinating chicken?

Initially, I thought it sounded quite revolting when I thought of eating a bleached chicken...

We already bleach the flour used in white bread (which is generally unhealthy compared to brown bread).

ReputationRep:
    Isn't the reason against chlorine washed chicken that farmers might become lax with other hygiene procedures because they believe it to be more effective than it actually is? It would be pretty easy to just keep doing the checks as is

Decide what food is 'safe' to be sold (decided by our government, nothing like TTIP), permit it and keep checking. Any extras like organic, free range, gluten free etc can be protected labels.
    • Political Ambassador

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ThomH97)
    Isn't the reason against chlorine washed chicken that farmers might become lax with other hygiene procedures because they believe it to be more effective than it actually is? It would be pretty easy to just keep doing the checks as is

Decide what food is 'safe' to be sold (decided by our government, nothing like TTIP), permit it and keep checking. Any extras like organic, free range, gluten free etc can be protected labels.
    If our consumers have such a problem with it and our producers start doing it one of two things will happen: chicken sales will drop and they'll revert to the old way, or people will stop having a problem with it. Attached that is needed is legislation requiring chlorinated chicken to be labeled as such and let the consumers decide what they want.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ByEeek)
    I do however have a problem with GM food
    What is wrong with GM?

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Meany Pie)
    What is wrong with GM?

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I don't want to eat bread that has the genetics of other species in it. I have no problems with breeding plants through selection. I do it myself. But genes from other species do not belong in the plants we eat. [ethical position]

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by BTAnonymous)
    Why is it used in the states? what's wrong with our chicken processing system here? are there any harmful implications of chlorinating chicken?
    It is because the standards in which they mass produce chickens is so vile that they must disinfect the meat before it is safe to eat. Tasty

Their animal welfare standards are ****ing appalling.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    It is because the standards in which they mass produce chickens is so vile that they must disinfect the meat before it is safe to eat. Tasty

Their animal welfare standards are ****ing appalling.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    I agree with your sentiment. But the standards in the UK and Europe are not much better. If American chickens are living in squalid back street hostels, UK chickens are living in squalid back street bed and breakfasts.

I believe UK chickens that we pick up and put in our roasting tins are still covered with all manner of deadly bacteria and pumped with antibiotics to boot. I don't particularly want to eat US chicken but let us not kid ourselves that ours are significantly better. They aren't.

ReputationRep:
    I don't want to eat bread that has the genetics of other species in it. I have no problems with breeding plants through selection. I do it myself. But genes from other species do not belong in the plants we eat. [ethical position]
    Fair enough.

I agree with your sentiment. But the standards in the UK and Europe are not much better. If American chickens are living in squalid back street hostels, UK chickens are living in squalid back street bed and breakfasts.

I believe UK chickens that we pick up and put in our roasting tins are still covered with all manner of deadly bacteria and pumped with antibiotics to boot. I don't particularly want to eat US chicken but let us not kid ourselves that ours are significantly better. They aren't.
    The UK has far higher standards than Europe.

Of course there is bacteria that is part of the reason we cook it.

The US standards really are significantly worse on a much larger scale. The industrial systems are bad wherever they are but we at least try to care about welfare.

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:

The UK has far higher standards than Europe.
    Are they? Did you see Hugh Fernley Whittingstall's Chicken Out campaign a few years ago. It was an expose on UK industry. It really isn't that good.

ReputationRep:
    I would say no... but then.... survival of the fittest.... less people would eat chicken☺️

ReputationRep:
    Are they? Did you see Hugh Fernley Whittingstall's Chicken Out campaign a few years ago. It was an expose on UK industry. It really isn't that good.
    I haven't watched that one, but I did watch his "Chicken Run" (2009 I think) where he set up his own intensive chicken farm and killed them all because he put them on wet bedding so they got hypothermia and died.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 30, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.