Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

I've told stupid lies and I regret it Watch

Announcements

This is going to sound so strange but I was homeschooled for most of my school life. I had no friends and basically no life; when I went to college I pretended to be someone I wasn't. I told people that I went to school. At the time I felt like people would think I were a freak as on the rare occasion I have told somebody that I have been homeschooled had been shock but I now know that the shock was more of a fascination. I guess I just felt embarrassed (god knows why) and didn't want to admit that I had never had any friends.

I now have a boyfriend who I met at college. So we started out as friends and this is obviously when I had told hi m that I went to school just like everybody else. I have completely fallen for this guy; we have been together for 7 months and we have said that we love each other. The other day I met his parents and everything went smoothly. I now know that it is a matter of time until he has to meet my parents. I feel so guilty for lying and I now want to tell him the truth but it's just so stupid and I think that he will leave me because it is such a stupid lie and if I can lie about something like that what else am I capable of lying about? We have gotten so serious that we have planned to stay together once I go to university.

I am just such an idiot. If this were you would you be angry? I know I would...
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    The issue with lies like this is that it can escalate. You've been together for 7 months, I think he would be more annoyed that he found out himself rather than you admitting to it.

It's unlikely he will leave you for a small lie like that, but that's why you don't try to fake it with anyone. You should tell him tbh.

(Original post by UWS)
    The issue with lies like this is that it can escalate. You've been together for 7 months, I think he would be more annoyed that he found out himself rather than you admitting to it.

It's unlikely he will leave you for a small lie like that, but that's why you don't try to fake it with anyone. You should tell him tbh.
    I know, it was just such a stupid thing to do. Since the lie has been told I feel as though I'm a different person...I'm not as insecure about myself. Just so scared that he'll leave me and think that I am a freak. I've made my bed and now I have to lie in it I guess
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    I know, it was just such a stupid thing to do. Since the lie has been told I feel as though I'm a different person...I'm not as insecure about myself. Just so scared that he'll leave me and think that I am a freak. I've made my bed and now I have to lie in it I guess
    You see, while you have this lie hovering over your head, you'll probably think it's fine to tell more lies and you'll end up digging an even bigger hole. Just confess and hope he doesn't go rogue on you, but let it be a lesson that you don't lie.

ReputationRep:
    This is going to sound so strange but I was homeschooled for most of my school life. I had no friends and basically no life; when I went to college I pretended to be someone I wasn't. I told people that I went to school. At the time I felt like people would think I were a freak as on the rare occasion I have told somebody that I have been homeschooled had been shock but I now know that the shock was more of a fascination. I guess I just felt embarrassed (god knows why) and didn't want to admit that I had never had any friends.

I now have a boyfriend who I met at college. So we started out as friends and this is obviously when I had told hi m that I went to school just like everybody else. I have completely fallen for this guy; we have been together for 7 months and we have said that we love each other. The other day I met his parents and everything went smoothly. I now know that it is a matter of time until he has to meet my parents. I feel so guilty for lying and I now want to tell him the truth but it's just so stupid and I think that he will leave me because it is such a stupid lie and if I can lie about something like that what else am I capable of lying about? We have gotten so serious that we have planned to stay together once I go to university.

Jeez you really ARE a idiot.
    But "have a break, have a kitkat"

ReputationRep:

Don't worry - we all make mistakes. It's no big deal. Just explain why you did it - y'know, you felt insecure, as we all tend to do. He'll understand.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.