Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi, I am a psychology graduate and I am hoping to apply for a Masters in Radiotherapy and Oncology (probably 2019 entry as I think I've left it a bit late for 2018). I have quite a few questions and I don't know who to ask so if anyone could give me answers or opinions I would really appreciate it

1- Is there a website that lists all the places you can have radiotherapy? I live in the middle of the countryside so have no idea which of the hospitals in my area do radiotherapy and would let me shadow them.

2-What work experience would you recommend getting before applying? I am hoping to visit a radiotherapy center but is there any other experience that would be beneficial?

3-Is placement really that bad? I've read numerous times that the staff on placements and when you are newly qualified can be rude and talk down to you. Is that really the case or have I just read a few bad experiences?

4-If I want further information on radiotherapy where are the best sites to look and is there any recommended reading?

5-I am still learning to drive, would this be an issue when travelling to placements? Should I make sure I can drive before applying?

6-Do you have any tips for the application process?

7-I am a psychology graduate so if anyone has any experience of doing a masters in radiotherapy after an undergraduate psychology degree I would love to pick your brain!

Thank you for any help you can give me.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by leahbw)
    Hi, I am a psychology graduate and I am hoping to apply for a Masters in Radiotherapy and Oncology (probably 2019 entry as I think I've left it a bit late for 2018). I have quite a few questions and I don't know who to ask so if anyone could give me answers or opinions I would really appreciate it

1- Is there a website that lists all the places you can have radiotherapy? I live in the middle of the countryside so have no idea which of the hospitals in my area do radiotherapy and would let me shadow them.

2-What work experience would you recommend getting before applying? I am hoping to visit a radiotherapy center but is there any other experience that would be beneficial?

3-Is placement really that bad? I've read numerous times that the staff on placements and when you are newly qualified can be rude and talk down to you. Is that really the case or have I just read a few bad experiences?

4-If I want further information on radiotherapy where are the best sites to look and is there any recommended reading?

5-I am still learning to drive, would this be an issue when travelling to placements? Should I make sure I can drive before applying?

6-Do you have any tips for the application process?

7-I am a psychology graduate so if anyone has any experience of doing a masters in radiotherapy after an undergraduate psychology degree I would love to pick your brain!

Thank you for any help you can give me.
    Hey

Nice to hear you're interested in Radiotherapy. I am an undergrad Radiotherapy and Oncology student. So here's my answers to your questions.... (sorry if it's too long):

1. There's a few ways to find a RT centre near you. (A) If you search "radiotherapy centre uk" or just "radiotherapy" in google maps, it should show you a few (though not all centres). (B) I have never used this website before but it lists private radiotherapy centres http://www.genesiscare.co.uk/cancer-centre (C) Your best bet is to google "radiotherapy CITY_NAME" e.g. "radiotherapy London" to find the centre closest to you. Also, quite a lot of the time, there is just 1 radiotherapy centre per city (not always tho, like London has a few, Bristol has 2 etc)

And in terms of shadowing, practically any centre will be more than happy to accommodate your visit, try finding the contact details of someone from RT hospital you wish to visit.

2. Experience wise, visiting/shadowing for a day in a radiotherapy department is what almost all unis want, whether it's BSc or MSc so deffos go ahead with this! Might be worth checking what uni you wanting to go to cuz they tend to have a form they expect you to take on your visit and give it to the (healthcare profession) radiotherapist who would fill it in and email it to your uni (just things like if you were dressed appropriately, on time, keen etc). Apart from that, any caring work experience counts so maybe some time in a day care or even at school, then you could say that you have experience of working with people from all ages and link it to how you'd deal with e.g. children with cancer? You might also want to check MacMillan's volunteering roles online?

3. Placement is such an important part of this degree... you learn so much and basically is your chance to apply all your theory to practice. In terms of good and bad placement, it purely depends on you as an individual and what department you go to. Although, majority of the time, you do end up with good placements. At UWE Bristol, we do 3 placements throughout the 3 years (1 placement 14 weeks long per year) so even if you do have a bad experience, you are not stuck in that department ;-) Plus, at my uni you have an assigned link lecturer that visits you, best to highlight them any issues so they can be resolved quickly.

4. Websites wise, here's some you may find useful:
    http://www.macmillan.org.uk/informat...iotherapy.html

http://www.macmillan.org.uk/informat...rapy-explained

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Radioth...roduction.aspx

http://www.cancerresearchuk.org/abou...t/radiotherapy

These are some websites - the cancer research one is probably the best one that I refer to if I need info on any particular cancer site or any particular radiotherapy technique.

If you are interested in further reading then I highly recommend Walter and Miller's Textbook of Radiotherapy.

5. Driving is definitely useful though you shouldn't delay applying for the course just cuz of driving. I don't drive and have been sent all over the country but had been lucky with hospital's accommodation - meaning no travelling unless your placement is in the city where you study e.g. Bristol. Idk how nhs bursary works for future students so you might want to consider being able to pay 2 rents if you are sent away.

6. Don't know a huge deal about MSc application process but it's always good to email the programme/course leader to express your interest. Give your 100% at interviews, I am sure you know already being a Psychology graduate 😊 Shouldn't be too complex but as part of your application process, you normally need DBS (CRB), Occupational Health Check, Vaccinations prior to placement and sometimes the clinical visit form from when you attended the RT centre.

7. I met a few radiographers on placement with a Psychology undergraduate degree followed by an MSc in RT - they did well and were amazing at their jobs as you'd expect 😊

Hope I have answered your questions but if there's anything else you want to know, then feel free! Also may I ask, what unis are you interested in applying? And you never know, it may not be so late still, because at UWE Bristol, they have like an October/Jan intakes for MSc (i think - probably best to email someone). Goodluck with everything!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.