Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Mini Roundabout Query Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Today I approached a mini-roundabout similar to this (but smaller as it used to be a simple junction and had a mini-roundabout painted onto it as a traffic-calming measure):

http://www.learntodrive.webeden.co.u...57_525x347.jpg

Using the image above, I am the blue car and my intention is to take the first exit and turn left onto a minor road, the red car is waiting to join the roundabout but is on my right and has priority, and (not in this image) there is a car trying to join at the other exit which has priority over the red car. We each come to a stop and probably no more than two seconds pass with no indication of movement from either of the other motorists, so I bite the bullet and join the roundabout and take my exit which annoys the red car enough to sound his horn at me.

So my question is this - who had priority in this situation?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXI)
    Today I approached a mini-roundabout

I am the blue car and my intention is to take the first exit and turn left onto a minor road, the red car is waiting to join the roundabout but is on my right and has priority, and there is a car trying to join at the other exit which has priority over the red car. We each come to a stop and probably no more than two seconds pass with no indication of movement from either of the other motorists, so I bite the bullet and join the roundabout and take my exit which annoys the red car enough to sound his horn at me.

You did, because you were the first vehicle to enter the junction.
    You are then approaching from everybody else's right.
    Prior to that the other cars waiting had no priority over any other vehicle.

ReputationRep:
    You did up until the 3rd car came along and screwed everything up. You're turning left at the roundabout, the car to your left had no reason to stop for you, thus they should've been stopping the red car because they had priority over them. For whatever reason, the 3rd car discarded their priority which lead to this awkward situation that didn't need to happen.

However, the moment the red car entered the junction was the moment you lost priority. Of course, if you set off at the same time it's a bit of an iffy situation. But strictly speaking, if you were hit, you would've been at fault for failing to give way.

ReputationRep:
    This happens all the time on busy mini roundabouts, where all three cars have priority over the one to their left. Just wait and respect whoever goes first. Not much else you can do.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Treeroy)
    This happens all the time on busy mini roundabouts, where all three cars have priority over the one to their left. Just wait and respect whoever goes first. Not much else you can do.
    Judging by what the OP saying it's not a case of a priority circle.

From what I've read, this seems to be the scenario.

Key:
    Black = OP
    Red = Red car in OP
    Blue=3rd car

In which case it'd make sense for the OP to go first. The 3rd car that came along caused a problem where there shouldn't have been a problem, there was no need for them to sit at the junction and 'give way' to a car that wasn't crossing their path.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AXI)
    Today I approached a mini-roundabout similar to this (but smaller as it used to be a simple junction and had a mini-roundabout painted onto it as a traffic-calming measure):

http://www.learntodrive.webeden.co.u...57_525x347.jpg

Using the image above, I am the blue car and my intention is to take the first exit and turn left onto a minor road, the red car is waiting to join the roundabout but is on my right and has priority, and (not in this image) there is a car trying to join at the other exit which has priority over the red car. We each come to a stop and probably no more than two seconds pass with no indication of movement from either of the other motorists, so I bite the bullet and join the roundabout and take my exit which annoys the red car enough to sound his horn at me.

Whoever breached the give way markings of their lane first. You all have someone to the right of you. If you all sat static, not sure who had priority, and you took the plunge and were on the roundabout first, you had right of way.

If the red car had entered the roundabout before you then they had right of way and you were in the wrong.

In future try to time coming to the roundabout so that you don't stop unless there is a car already on or joining the roundabout.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    The way I've always understood it (and how it works at a mini roundabout near me) is that the vehicle crossing the paths of other vehicles should go first, which clears you to follow the red car to the first exit.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.