Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Is emotional abuse okay? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    My mum and dad always make me feel like I'm not good enough and I'm worthless, they put me in the middle of their fights and most of the time I have to stop them when it gets out of hand (smashing glasses and that). They treat my brother completely differently, they bend over backwards for him and never tell him he's not good enough, they always say how smart he is and how clever he is. One time he literally strangled me on a shop floor (he's 5 years older than me) and they just let him walk away, in fact they told me off for making him so cross (it wasn't my fault, it was my birthday and I was just walking round a shop, this was 2 years ago, but it's the easiest example I can give) don't get me wrong now my brother and I are way closer than I am with my mum or dad. Anyway It started making me really down so I looked into ways I can move out at 16, and it basically turned out that it's really difficult and I don't want to go into a hostel or foster care, so I'm a bit screwed. I looked at childline and I realised what my parents were doing wasn't normal and that it was emotional abuse, so now what? I'm finding it really difficult at the moment because some days they are fine with me and other days they tell me that I'm a waste of space, that I'm stupid, and they always make me feel really guilty. But my dad has a very highly paid job so whenever I say that they shouldn't be like that to me he just says that he buys me all this stuff and I do nothing but complain, when in actual fact I would love to have nothing so I didn't feel like I owed them anything. When I get away from home I feel so much better and relieved that i am not being constantly judged and criticised, I'm way more productive and motivated, in a weird way I have a lot more energy as well. Do I stay like this for 2 years? Or is their anyway I can move out? I can't move out to a friends tho because my only really really close friend lives next door and their parents are friends with mine.

ReputationRep:
    :hugs:

ReputationRep:
    Same here - its never okay but I just had to put up with physical and emotional abuse - beating, making me work and saying all sorts to me :emo:

Wow I can relate to this a lot… I guess you need find a way to stick it out for 2 more years then if you’re going to uni you can move out… if you’re not going to uni it all gets a lot tougher since renting is really expensive

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    Wow I can relate to this a lot… I guess you need find a way to stick it out for 2 more years then if you’re going to uni you can move out… if you’re not going to uni it all gets a lot tougher since renting is really expensive
    It literally really annoys me that so many more people go through this and there are no options for us 😕

ReputationRep:
    Have you any grandparents or cousins or aunts and uncles you could turn to? Give them a ring and see if they'll have you - Godparents, too. No abuse is okay and it's evidently a negative environment - one you've tried to stop by talking to your dad, which hasn't worked.

You might want to also try talking to your mum on her own if your dad won't change the record.

Hope that helps.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrythomas14)
    Have you any grandparents or cousins or aunts and uncles you could turn to? Give them a ring and see if they'll have you - Godparents, too. No abuse is okay and it's evidently a negative environment - one you've tried to stop by talking to your dad, which hasn't worked.

You might want to also try talking to your mum on her own if your dad won't change the record.

Hope that helps.
    My gran died a couple months ago, and my other grandparents are the same to me, they've told me I'm the reason for my parents fighting, my mums also fed them a bunch of lies about me, and then my uncle has skin cancer and I don't want to add to his stress, we have quite a close family weirdly, it's just I'm not really sorry involved in it. Thanks anyway I may reach out to my uncle and cousins if he gets better

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AKB2000)
    My gran died a couple months ago, and my other grandparents are the same to me, they've told me I'm the reason for my parents fighting, my mums also fed them a bunch of lies about me, and then my uncle has skin cancer and I don't want to add to his stress, we have quite a close family weirdly, it's just I'm not really sorry involved in it. Thanks anyway I may reach out to my uncle and cousins if he gets better
    I'd say confront your mum, too - if talking to your dad doesn't work. Yeah do that as well as maybe looking into some counselling.

Condolences for your loss.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.