Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Miscellaneous questions about travelling alone in Europe Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey all! I just booked a flight to Berlin and two weeks later a flight home from Genoa. I’m planning to buy an Interrail card and travel a route of Berlin -> Prague -> Vienna -> Venice/Bologna/Verona -> Cinque Terre. This is my first proper trip alone so I’m super thrilled and absolutely terrified!

For accommodation I’ve been mainly looking at Couchsurfing and hostels. My priorities are central location, low cost and relative safety and cleanliness. Any experiences of these alternatives and things to keep in mind when looking for a place to stay? (I’m a young woman if that makes any difference.)

I’d love to meet some locals and other travellers but I’m not sure what’s the best way to go about doing this. There are some events on sites like Couchsurfing and Meetup but most of them look a bit meh. The fact that I’m even considering Tinder perhaps speaks for how low on ideas I am What has your experience of meeting people been when travelling alone? Any tips?

I’m also very happy to hear any suggestions of low-cost things to do in those cities in case you have any. I’d maybe also want to visit smaller places and perhaps do a bit of hiking somewhere with beautiful nature so suggestions for that are also welcome.

Thanks!

ReputationRep:
    couchsurfing has a good function called hangouts, where you can see other locals/travellers that want to hangout. if you do actually want to hang out and explore, that would be a good option, i wouldn't recommend tinder for that.

as you're not going to too many places, it might work out a lot cheaper to book buses for your trip. i'd also recommend checking out ljubljana in slovenia, you kind of go past it on your way from vienna into italy.

hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Tinder lol. That would make for a very different kind of trip.

Hopefully your hostels will be quite social. If you go for well rated ones then chances are they'll be popular, so good for meeting people! Just have to be bold and approach people like 'hey how long you been here what should i do' and hopefully they'll take the hint and invite you on whatever they are doing.

I think you've also got to be ready for a little alone time when travelling solo too. Don't be afraid to explore alone or eat out alone, if needs be.

Clinque Terre looks amazing.

ReputationRep:
    I did a trip from London - Brussels - Amsterdam - Berlin alone when I was about 21 and in Uni (I'm 27 and a PhD student now). It was an amazing experience and I'd definitely do it again. There were the odd occasions when I felt uncomfortable - mostly when I couldn't arrange travel during the day and arrived at night (as I did in Brussels). Then I felt a bit concerned so 'attached' myself to a group of girls - walked by them and made it look like I was a part of the group. That made me feel a lot safer and is definitely the biggie for me - traveling during the day.

Apart from that I enjoyed my solo travel much more than traveling with people, and it was great to meet new people that I wouldn't have met had I been traveling in a group. Berlin is great for solo travel - I stayed near Checkpoint Charlie and stayed mostly in the area - I didn't have long in Berlin so didn't get to do too much exploring! Make sure you check out the Currywurst museum - that was definitely one of my favourites and I make currywurst a lot at home now too.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nesky)
    couchsurfing has a good function called hangouts, where you can see other locals/travellers that want to hangout. if you do actually want to hang out and explore, that would be a good option, i wouldn't recommend tinder for that.

as you're not going to too many places, it might work out a lot cheaper to book buses for your trip. i'd also recommend checking out ljubljana in slovenia, you kind of go past it on your way from vienna into italy.

hope this helps
    Just looked into that Couchsurfing thing and it looks great! Looks like surprisingly many people use it. Will also do some research on buses. Thanks!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nexttime)
    Tinder lol. That would make for a very different kind of trip.

Hopefully your hostels will be quite social. If you go for well rated ones then chances are they'll be popular, so good for meeting people! Just have to be bold and approach people like 'hey how long you been here what should i do' and hopefully they'll take the hint and invite you on whatever they are doing.

I think you've also got to be ready for a little alone time when travelling solo too. Don't be afraid to explore alone or eat out alone, if needs be.

Clinque Terre looks amazing.
    Lol I tried Tinder yesterday and actually talked with some pretty interesting people it would be fun to just get drinks or something with. Maybe I'm just naive about what guys expect though

Cinque Terre does look amazing! I actually changed my plan before Italy a bit - I'm going to Lauterbrunnen and Marseille (near Massif del Calanques) so I'm definitely looking forward to the hiking aspect of my trip.

Will look for popular hostels and approach people while there. Thank you!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Cathrela)
    I did a trip from London - Brussels - Amsterdam - Berlin alone when I was about 21 and in Uni (I'm 27 and a PhD student now). It was an amazing experience and I'd definitely do it again. There were the odd occasions when I felt uncomfortable - mostly when I couldn't arrange travel during the day and arrived at night (as I did in Brussels). Then I felt a bit concerned so 'attached' myself to a group of girls - walked by them and made it look like I was a part of the group. That made me feel a lot safer and is definitely the biggie for me - traveling during the day.

Apart from that I enjoyed my solo travel much more than traveling with people, and it was great to meet new people that I wouldn't have met had I been traveling in a group. Berlin is great for solo travel - I stayed near Checkpoint Charlie and stayed mostly in the area - I didn't have long in Berlin so didn't get to do too much exploring! Make sure you check out the Currywurst museum - that was definitely one of my favourites and I make currywurst a lot at home now too.
    Traveling during the day and if necessary walking with a group of reliable-looking people definitely sounds like a good idea.

Berlin sounds great! Currywurst museum loool - maybe I'll have to visit just out of curiosity even though I don't even eat meat

Thanks so much!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by StationToStation)
    Traveling during the day and if necessary walking with a group of reliable-looking people definitely sounds like a good idea.

Berlin sounds great! Currywurst museum loool - maybe I'll have to visit just out of curiosity even though I don't even eat meat

Thanks so much!
    I'm a vegetarian too - they have (definitely had) tofuwurst too!

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.