Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's been your biggest waste of money? Watch

Announcements
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What have you wasted tons of money over for no reason or for something you ended up not needing/liking or generally wasn't worth it

I was going down to London for a gig last year, I ended up missing train down, so had to buy another ticket, realised I had left my gig tickets at home so couldn't go to it and had booked the return train tickets for the wrong day.

Ended up losing £200 on tickets for things I didn't use, not including all the other tickets/stuff I did use/pay for.

ReputationRep:
    university

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AndrewSCO)
    What have you wasted tons of money over for no reason or for something you ended up not needing/liking or generally wasn't worth it

I was going down to London for a gig last year, I ended up missing train down, so had to buy another ticket, realised I had left my gig tickets at home so couldn't go to it and had booked the return train tickets for the wrong day.

Ended up losing £200 on tickets for things I didn't use, not including all the other tickets/stuff I did use/pay for.
    Think I've spent something close to £60+ on audio stories I've never listened to (Doctor Who - it's sort of hard to explain but they're not audiobooks). I am intending listening to them, but I've owned them all for over two years now!

It's not exactly a waste in my eyes, but I have spent over £350 on Pokemon games...

ReputationRep:
    Ive spent this year about £2000 on a girl at work who i really like ....what sucks is she treats me like i dont exist but i like her so much

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    Drinks from Starbucks, Costa and Cafe Nero before my commute to uni, despite being in my overdraft 🙃

ReputationRep:
    I spend a lot but I almost always satisfied with it.

I think taxis are a huge waste of money because at the end it's just about getting from point A to point B in the same city and it feels ridiculous to pay that much for it (I use them all the time and it's such a money drain on a monthly basis). I also have many clothes I'd rather not have bought.

ReputationRep:
    my ex-friend

the amount of money i spent on that bish and she still screwed me over. i swear i'm never doing anything nice for anyone ever again!

ReputationRep:

Street gliders.
    Spoiler:
    Show

£15 wasted. I must have been like 9-10 years old. I thought I would be cool. Tried them, realised I probably need to practice to avoid slipping but f#ck practicing. I just didnt wear them again.

From that day forth, I never asked my parents for any gift or present etc. It's been 9 years.
    • Very Important Poster
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Invested in a coffin, figured out it was the last thing I'd need.

ReputationRep:
    brought some tickets to a concert then forgot about it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    I think taxis are a huge waste of money because at the end it's just about getting from point A to point B in the same city and it feels ridiculous to pay that much for it (I use them all the time and it's such a money drain on a monthly basis). I also have many clothes I'd rather not have bought.
    so by that logic any method of transportation is also a waste of money...

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Nerry)
    so by that logic any method of transportation is also a waste of money...
    To a certain degree, yes. Come on, hundreds to get to NY in the 21st century?

More specifically, I hate spending money on things that I need instead of things I "like". Getting from A to B in a city is something I constantly need, but a taxi ride isn't some sort of special, entertaining or particularly pleasant activity

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by usualsuspects)
    To a certain degree, yes. Come on, hundreds to get to NY in the 21st century?

More specifically, I hate spending money on things that I need instead of things I "like". Getting from A to B in a city is something I constantly need, but a taxi ride isn't some sort of special, entertaining or particularly pleasant activity
    No but it is a necessity when you gotta get to the other side of town wearing a fancy dress and huge pair of heels and don't have any friends or family members who have a car who can give you a lift.

ReputationRep:
    Skullcandy earphones. Those were THE things back in secondary school. They break in less than 3 weeks, so I must've ran through like 10+ pairs or so.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by yungaheartz)
    No but it is a necessity when you gotta get to the other side of town wearing a fancy dress and huge pair of heels and don't have any friends or family members who have a car who can give you a lift.
    That's the point, spending on necessities in a certain sense is wasting money because you are obliged to do it but aren't getting any particular enjoyment out of it... at best you are avoiding suffering (though Epicurus would object that pleasure is exactly that). Taxes also qualify I guess, if you pay too much compared to what you actually get.

ReputationRep:
    Flying my son to the UK on Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class, to be told that it was just like economy ..

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    Flying my son to the UK on Virgin Atlantic in Upper Class, to be told that it was just like economy ..
    Definitely not worth it if you are in a small plane.

I went from UK to Geneva this summer and the seats are exactly the same for economy and business (or was it upper?). The only difference was that they get served a small meal and the middle seat of the row is blocked off by something that looked like a canteen tray.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Burnheal131)

I went from UK to Geneva this summer and the seats are exactly the same for economy and business (or was it upper?). The only difference was that they get served a small meal and the middle seat of the row is blocked off by something that looked like a canteen tray.
    This was Upper Class on a 777, San Francisco to Heathrow, fully flat bed and all. One of us appreciated it.
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Food. omg. I spend waaaayyy too much money on food.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by RogerOxon)
    (Original post by Burnheal131)

Intra-european first/business/upper class etc is generally the worst, the best you can ask for is what Burnheal described. It's much better if you're travelling outside of Europe, of course more expensive.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    AtCTs

Ask the Community Team

Got a question about the site content or our moderation? Ask here.

Welcome Lounge

Welcome Lounge

We're a friendly bunch. Post here if you're new to TSR.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.