The Student Room Group

Latest London acid attack leaves 2 people injured

this would not happen in America... they would be sent to Old Sparky :angry:
Reply 2
http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/former-east-london-gang-member-says-using-acid-to-carry-out-attacks-is-a-winwin-a3593881.html
A former gang member who attacked victims using acid has told Evening Stndard that the reason these attacks are happening is because there is no punishment for just carrying acid, unlike a knife and it's hard to tell whether someone is carrying acid since it's usually kept in a water bottle. The punishment for an acid attack is also lower than for a stabbing attack. It seems like we need to have tougher penalties for acid attacks and for carrying acid.
How many more victims will there be until changes to the law are made?
London is actually a sh*thole.
Reply 5
As a foreigner (coming from the U.S. where we have insanely high gun crime violence), I see these reports of the number of attacks in just London, is averaging 3 a week. When did this sort of thing first start happening. I had thought it was terror related, and of course, it may very well be. But I'm seeing that 80% of the criminals doing this are White males, so is this racial terrorism? The social media comments in the article are very troubling:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/uk-acid-attack-survivors-demand-government-action-170715064824392.html
I would tie those attackers to a chair and pour acid over their faces. This country's criminal justice system is pathetic.
Reply 7
Original post by luq_ali
As a foreigner (coming from the U.S. where we have insanely high gun crime violence), I see these reports of the number of attacks in just London, is averaging 3 a week. When did this sort of thing first start happening. I had thought it was terror related, and of course, it may very well be. But I'm seeing that 80% of the criminals doing this are White males, so is this racial terrorism? The social media comments in the article are very troubling:

http://www.aljazeera.com/news/2017/07/uk-acid-attack-survivors-demand-government-action-170715064824392.html

I don't trust that source.

It's one of those " look, not all Muslims do it " kind of statements.

I think the stress of living in London causes people to snap. The anger, the jealousy, the hate, the pressure, the rent, and this is the end result.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 8
Original post by Foo.mp3
Need to reform the law on carrying acid, immediately, and have a good old-fashioned clear out of these London ghettos/gangs :yy:

Why not look into why someone would do it in the first place ?

A rival gang attack ?

Sexually rejected ?

Drug rivals attacking each other ?
Original post by luq_ali

The short answer is the work to identify the motives for the attacks is only now being done. We don't know why these attacks are being committed. We don't even know whether the attacks reported in the press are typical of acid attacks or the exception. For example, strangers murderering children is a very rare crime but attracts a disproportion amount of publicity when it occurs.
I really hope the laws are improved in regards to this soon, it's worrying how many attacks there have been lately.
Reply 11
Original post by Foo.mp3
Clear out the gangs, institutionalise (boot camp) the (fatherless) kids, deport the crims

Relationship education, counselling, male mentoring, and social services

As above + shut down the drugs networks

If we have to teach people throwing acid on others is not a good idea, something has gone seriously wrong in society.

Maybe these people are more prone to psychopathic genes and thoughts and cannot be rehabilitated or changed or become better people.
Original post by Justin.Reid2000
I would tie those attackers to a chair and pour acid over their faces. This country's criminal justice system is pathetic.

I agree.Sentences for crimes in this country are so weak,and prison tends to harden rather than reform criminals.Just a complete joke.
Reply 13
Original post by the bear
this would not happen in America... they would be sent to Old Sparky :angry:

Their gangs use guns instead.
Reply 14
another attack yesterday

http://www.standard.co.uk/news/crime/shocking-moment-moped-thugs-spray-victim-in-suspected-acid-attack-near-harrods-a3601026.html

I think it happens in London more because of the extreme poverty/wealth gap and pressure of having no money in London.
People snap and resort to violent crime.
I don't think the issue is with the surge in acid attacks. This only highlights the weak sentencing for every single crime, causing crime to rise. Not to mention the state of our prisons.
We need change!
But will we change?
Original post by TheYearNiner
But will we change?

Only if I become PM
Original post by Justin.Reid2000
Only if I become PM

sad
These attacks are horrific and we need to start clamping down on it with tougher sentences for possession of these substances and even tougher sentences for using it on someone. Disgraceful.

Quick Reply

Latest

Trending

Trending