The Student Room Group

China is creating an "unhackable" internet

As malicious hackers mount ever more sophisticated attacks, China is about to launch a new, "unhackable" communications network - at least in the sense that any attack on it would be quickly detected.

The technology it has turned to is quantum cryptography, a radical break from the traditional encryption methods.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-40565722
The technology is call (stick quantum in front of anything and it becomes 100x cooler) but as usual the the way it is being used is awful.
We are nowhere near cracking 128bit so there is nothing to worry about.
(edited 6 years ago)
Is it resistant to icebergs?
How much censorship is there in China? What a messed up country

Posted from TSR Mobile
I can see the criminal underworld licking their lips in anticipation of this becoming mainstream. It is all well and good governments being able to send unhackable communications, but so can private citizens. The surprises me for a closed government wanting control over the public.
Original post by Mathemagicien
Which is why European and American governments haven't been developing it. But now China is, they'd damn well better start funding their own research, lest China have total control over these systems.

I wouldn't get too worried. Contrary to popular belief, we have been doing research in this area and concept has been around for at least the last 20 - 30 years. But the reality is that switching photons of light is quite a different proposition to switching electrons of electricity.
Reply 7
The worrying thing is that it will become mainstream and the world will become dependent on Chinese technology. We think of low quality goods being "made in China". This is changing
Reply 8
Original post by Casisalive
We are nowhere near cracking 128bit so there is nothing to worry about.

Quantum computing can crack 128bit in a click of a finger. It's a matter of quantum vs non quantum cryptography. There's only one winner. Have you seen the new D Wave?

Quick Reply

Latest