Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Doing A Levels at 21? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    This may sounds like a stupid question but how should I go about starting A levels at 21?

I finished secondary school at 16 and passed all my GCSES even if they weren't quite as high as I would have liked. But I was 16 and a very different person and revising wasn't something I wanted to do a lot of. Anyway I planned to change that when I went to sixth form and at one stage was really hoping to get into medicine or veterinary medicine at uni and so chose history, chemistry, biology and maths to do at AS level. The problem is I was never the most social person and had real issues at making friends at college and this along with some worsening mental issues that ended up in self harm and nearly worse meant I left half way through my first year as I nearly had breakdowns about going in. I got some help and ended up being allowed to have another go the next year however knowing nobody at all from that year group made it even worse and it coincided with my problems that I won't go into in anymore detail being worse than ever and so I quit again and for a year or so things were really bad and I could hardly get out of bed never mind study.

Anyway I am in a largely better place now and would like to begin to study again however I am 21 so feel waaaaay too old to join a class of 16 year olds plus I'm not even sure if that's possible anyway and I'm pretty sure it would be very expensive now I no longer qualify for free and explaining my situation in the past and why it happened would be rather difficult too. I was looking at possibly doing A levels at home and seeing how it went but again it's obviously expensive and I have no experience of anything like that. It's just the early stages as I'm not even sure what A levels I would wanna do for sure yet but based on my situation does anyone have any similar experience or advice on what's the best way to do them. I mean am I too old to do them anyway? I know I've ****ed up my life a bit as most people my age are finishing uni but I can't change or help what happened.

Anyway thank you

ReputationRep:
    Do it man, its never too late to get an education and try better your circumstances

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by clg96)
    This may sounds like a stupid question but how should I go about starting A levels at 21?

I finished secondary school at 16 and passed all my GCSES even if they weren't quite as high as I would have liked. But I was 16 and a very different person and revising wasn't something I wanted to do a lot of. Anyway I planned to change that when I went to sixth form and at one stage was really hoping to get into medicine or veterinary medicine at uni and so chose history, chemistry, biology and maths to do at AS level. The problem is I was never the most social person and had real issues at making friends at college and this along with some worsening mental issues that ended up in self harm and nearly worse meant I left half way through my first year as I nearly had breakdowns about going in. I got some help and ended up being allowed to have another go the next year however knowing nobody at all from that year group made it even worse and it coincided with my problems that I won't go into in anymore detail being worse than ever and so I quit again and for a year or so things were really bad and I could hardly get out of bed never mind study.

Anyway I am in a largely better place now and would like to begin to study again however I am 21 so feel waaaaay too old to join a class of 16 year olds plus I'm not even sure if that's possible anyway and I'm pretty sure it would be very expensive now I no longer qualify for free and explaining my situation in the past and why it happened would be rather difficult too. I was looking at possibly doing A levels at home and seeing how it went but again it's obviously expensive and I have no experience of anything like that. It's just the early stages as I'm not even sure what A levels I would wanna do for sure yet but based on my situation does anyone have any similar experience or advice on what's the best way to do them. I mean am I too old to do them anyway? I know I've ****ed up my life a bit as most people my age are finishing uni but I can't change or help what happened.

Anyway thank you
    Are you still looking to go onto University? If so have you considered an access course? I took one this year at 20 but the age range of my classmates was from 18 to 46. Since you are under 25 and do not have any level 3 qualifications it should be free for you. I made friends in my biology class who were going on to do veterinary science degrees.

You can take A Levels from home with distant learning courses like Open Study College but for three AS/A levels it costs around £1000 and then you have to pay for the exams as an external candidate on top of that.

Some colleges will allow you to take A Levels alongside their 16 year olds, but sixth form colleges will not.

ReputationRep:
    I would like to go to uni yes and A levels are thought of more highly by them are they not? I had been thinking similar subjects to before because if nothing else they at least hold my interest, so the sciences and maths etc but on second look the sciences require practical assessments and the costs are obscene for those if somewhere can even be found to do them so maybe I should just give up hope on that. One college nearby does a biology AS level for adults.. for £811. I was unsure about the free level 3 course for under 25s too when I read about it. As I currently have no level 3 qualification does this mean I could do an access course for free or instead 1 A level for free at an FE college (if I could even find one) and pay for the rest if I did more? Or could I only get an access course free?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    There are a fair few people studying for A-levels in the Mature Students forum. There's a specific thread for A-levels here but it's been inactive for a little while as exams have finished. There's a chat thread too I just turned 26 and am going back to college this September, so you're not too old. There are some people floating around the forum who are twice my age too!

If you didn't complete your A-levels you would be eligible for funding for A-levels or an Access course at a college with the 19+ Advanced Learner Loan. If you studied long distance there isn't any funding.

Usual advice with "should i do A-levels or an Access Course" is to work backwards: figure out what you want to do, look at what degree you'd need and look at the requirements for those degrees at different unis.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Help with your A-levels

All the essentials

The adventure begins mug

Student life: what to expect

What it's really like going to uni

Rosette

Essay expert

Learn to write like a pro with our ultimate essay guide.

Uni match

Uni match

Our tool will help you find the perfect course for you

Study planner

Create a study plan

Get your head around what you need to do and when with the study planner tool.

Study planner

Resources by subject

Everything from mind maps to class notes.

Hands typing

Degrees without fees

Discover more about degree-level apprenticeships.

A student doing homework

Study tips from A* students

Students who got top grades in their A-levels share their secrets

Study help links and info

Can you help? Study help unanswered threadsRules and posting guidelines

Sponsored content:

HEAR

HEAR

Find out how a Higher Education Achievement Report can help you prove your achievements.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.