Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Britain to ban sale of all new petrol and diesel cars and vans from 2040 Watch

• Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    I think the chances of Theresa doing a Walpole and still being in office in 2040 are pretty remote and the chances she won't have smashed a chair over Grayling's head remoter still.
    Consider yourself lucky he isn't your local MP...

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    Good gesture, but it distracts from what is actually necessary - far cheaper and more reliable public transport networks (particularly for freight), and would require investment to a) massively increase the capacity of the national grid and b) practically coat the pavements with charging stations to cover those who don't have driveways or can't park right outside their house for whatever reason.

Posted from TSR Mobile
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    What is that, the motto of Cumbernauld New Town?
    Dorothy lived there and went to Abronhill High School. It can't be all that bad !

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by uberteknik)
    Dorothy lived there and went to Abronhill High School. It can't be all that bad !
    I thought she lived in Kansas!

ReputationRep:
    Don't see the point of this when electricity is generated by fossil fuels or nuclear anyway, I guess you could make a good point about the negative health impacts of exhaust emissions on air quality though.

As long as Jaguar has electric cars I'm okay with electric cars. Been in a few and they feel so much smoother and are so much quieter than diesel and petrol cars
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    I thought she lived in Kansas!
    Heathen!
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by AngryRedhead)
    Don't see the point of this when electricity is generated by fossil fuels or nuclear anyway, I guess you could make a good point about the negative health impacts of exhaust emissions on air quality though.

As long as Jaguar has electric cars I'm okay with electric cars. Been in a few and they feel so much smoother and are so much quieter than diesel and petrol cars

Increasingly it's renewable.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)

Increasingly its renewable.
    Good to see, lets hope it carries on increasing

ReputationRep:

why jaguar? there are other, more refined and comfortable brands out there aha

would agree with the quiet aspect, but todays exec saloons with a big petrol engine are barely a whisper at motorway speeds, any quieter and you'd think you were deaf
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Good to see, lets hope it carries on increasing
    That's the plan...

Coal and oil to continue to decline significantly.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by brimstone131)
    why jaguar? there are other, more refined and comfortable brands out there aha

would agree with the quiet aspect, but todays exec saloons with a big petrol engine are barely a whisper at motorway speeds, any quieter and you'd think you were deaf
    I just like the Jaguar brand to be honest, not a big fan of BMW's and Mercedes

ReputationRep:
    I just don't see it posible to enforce an entire ban by 2040 - the infrastructure just isn't there,
    It is twenty-three years hence. That is a very long time.

Twenty-three years ago we did not have the internet; we had 67 mobile phones per 1,000 people; we did not have the Channel Tunnel; a 16GB disc drive was HUGE.

Twenty-three years ago we had about 19,000 filling stations in the UK (only about 8,000 now).

We had almost no charging points six years ago; now we have over 4,000, with the number growing exponentially.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Good bloke)

Twenty-three years ago we did not have the internet; we had 67 mobile phones per 1,000 people; we did not have the Channel Tunnel; a 16GB disc drive was HUGE.

Twenty-three years ago we had about 19,000 filling stations in the UK (only about 8,000 now).

We had almost no charging points six years ago; now we have over 4,000, with the number growing exponentially.
    And most* of the people on TSR weren't even born.

*Most, not all... :shakecane:

ReputationRep:

as i've said before in the thread, i agree that tech advances leave us increasingly hopeful given where we've come etc

however, you can't say 'it'll be alright, we'll think of something if we chuck enough money at it'..

i think we'll make progress, but i just can't see the practicality of all electric cars for everyone, no matter what tech is available. The reason for this is having worked in the industry, car manufacturers tend t be planning 3 model cycles ahead, that is to say each model runs 8 years - although much of the tech arrives closer to the time, the major manufacturers do not yet appear to have any major plans to make an all electric range, because frankly they wouldn't last.

For the same reason I am certain you'll never see a self driving car taking you to the shops, I think the manufacturers have other priorities at the moment, and would rather not spend money on it for the time being - who knows, a new govt could shelve these plans by 2022.....

ReputationRep:
    *Most, not all... :shakecane:
    Some, on the other hand ...

ReputationRep:
    i think we'll make progress, but i just can't see the practicality of all electric cars for everyone
    Who says all electric? There is hydrogen and other potential new fuels, hybrids of these.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    as i've said before in the thread, i agree that tech advances leave us increasingly hopeful given where we've come etc

however, you can't say 'it'll be alright, we'll think of something if we chuck enough money at it'..

i think we'll make progress, but i just can't see the practicality of all electric cars for everyone, no matter what tech is available. The reason for this is having worked in the industry, car manufacturers tend t be planning 3 model cycles ahead, that is to say each model runs 8 years - although much of the tech arrives closer to the time, the major manufacturers do not yet appear to have any major plans to make an all electric range, because frankly they wouldn't last.

For the same reason I am certain you'll never see a self driving car taking you to the shops, I think the manufacturers have other priorities at the moment, and would rather not spend money on it for the time being - who knows, a new govt could shelve these plans by 2022.....
    What are 3 8s?

Also it's not just the UK, also France, also Norway (by 2025), Holland, etc, etc...

It *is* already a priority for the manufacturers.

ReputationRep:
    Who says all electric? There is hydrogen and other potential new fuels, hybrids of these.

you misunderstand me I pointed out earlier on the thread that hybrid and hydrogen fuel cell would be the way forward

the headline itself is misleading. Imo, it seeks to scare/cause a reaction in the press to make it look like action is being taken on the 'illegal' air quality (this too is misleading), but in reality, very little will change. a large number of models today with petrol engines could pass the legislation of 2040, all that changes is you won't see huge RR's with 17mpg supercharged v8s anymore.... shame, but i always wondered what the point was

ReputationRep:
    What are 3 8s?

Also it's not just the UK, also France, also Norway (by 2025), Holland, etc, etc...

Volvo plan to make all their cars electric or hybrid from 2019

ReputationRep:
    What are 3 8s?

the 3 x 8 cycle comes from a 2001 leak from BMW which leaked what the E60, F10 and G30 (the latter two unnamed at the time) would ultimately be, and sketches as to their design, which ultimately proved fairly accurate. Given it takes an average manufacturer 3 years to fully ready themselves for production of a model (that is to say a 2020 model will be starting to be readied now), they have to plan ahead by a decade, if not two. All I'm saying is that the media portray it as a shock, to us and the manufacturers, when i reality i reckon they already know what the models of 2040 will be, and more importantly, what drives them

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 29, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.