Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

GCSE maths and further maths Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    I am a GCSE student going into year eleven next year. I have never really been naturally talented at mathematics but I worked very hard and was able to get into the top set. I thought that things were going well in Year 10; I was doing well in all of my unit tests and I was rebuilding my confidence. In preparation for the year ten mocks, I was doing practice papers and going over topics and spending time at a weekly tutor. I thought I knew what to expect by doing past papers and what I believed was good revision but I went into my mock and I ended up getting a very low mark on one paper and a relatively mediocre mark on the other. Now I am panicking because my confidence has gone down completely and it has completely put me off doing further maths next year. Anyway sorry for the long winded story, my questions are: what is further maths really like? What revision will help me to do better in GCSE maths? Will doing further maths help my maths GCSE?

ReputationRep:
    Well since I have been a guinea pig for the new maths specification which is why I flopped my maths papers you will be able to look at the papers we did so it will give you a glimpse of the kind of question examiners will ask you in the maths papers next year.

ReputationRep:
    Hey, I just finished year 11 and I did both edexcel maths and further maths.

First of all, don't panic about your mocks. In fact, it's a good thing that you didn't get what you wanted - the whole point of mocks is to tell you what you're lacking in, so you can improve on them by the time you get to the real thing. Remember, you've still got a whole year to go!

Next, revising through past papers is useful, but it won't necessarily help you all the time. There's always going to be that one geometry question that throws you off and takes real thinking - the kind that you won't have ever seen before. But remember, you're supposed to have learnt it. General rule of thumb I use is to break the question down, looking for triangles, then applying trigonometry and sine/cosine rule.

As for further maths, it will not help your maths GCSE THAT MUCH. In the exams I took this year, there were probably only 2 questions in all 3 papers that I could actually apply something I learnt in further maths. Actually, most of the time your 1-9 maths will help you in further maths, because the specification is old and includes a lot of stuff that previously wasn't taught in GCSE. Otherwise, further maths and 1-9 maths are separate topics.

Furthermore, further maths is really just some of AS-level maths, but kind of dumbed down a bit in my opinion. It's pretty much most of C1, C2, and half of C3 and C4. When it comes to further maths, doing past papers helps A LOT. All the questions are quite repetitive of previous years, and you'll find them really easy and straightforward once you get the hang of them. Only thing I will note is that you'll probably find it difficult at first, but gradually it'll make sense. That was the case for me at least.

Anyway, that's pretty much it. Just try not to stress too much. Keep calm and do maths I guess? Good luck with year 11!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by The RAR)
    Well since I have been a guinea pig for the new maths specification which is why I flopped my maths papers you will be able to look at the papers we did so it will give you a glimpse of the kind of question examiners will ask you in the maths papers next year.
    Yes that's true, that will be the first thing I'll try to do next year

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by DisneylandChina)

First of all, don't panic about your mocks. In fact, it's a good thing that you didn't get what you wanted - the whole point of mocks is to tell you what you're lacking in, so you can improve on them by the time you get to the real thing. Remember, you've still got a whole year to go!

Next, revising through past papers is useful, but it won't necessarily help you all the time. There's always going to be that one geometry question that throws you off and takes real thinking - the kind that you won't have ever seen before. But remember, you're supposed to have learnt it. General rule of thumb I use is to break the question down, looking for triangles, then applying trigonometry and sine/cosine rule.

As for further maths, it will not help your maths GCSE THAT MUCH. In the exams I took this year, there were probably only 2 questions in all 3 papers that I could actually apply something I learnt in further maths. Actually, most of the time your 1-9 maths will help you in further maths, because the specification is old and includes a lot of stuff that previously wasn't taught in GCSE. Otherwise, further maths and 1-9 maths are separate topics.

Furthermore, further maths is really just some of AS-level maths, but kind of dumbed down a bit in my opinion. It's pretty much most of C1, C2, and half of C3 and C4. When it comes to further maths, doing past papers helps A LOT. All the questions are quite repetitive of previous years, and you'll find them really easy and straightforward once you get the hang of them. Only thing I will note is that you'll probably find it difficult at first, but gradually it'll make sense. That was the case for me at least.

Anyway, that's pretty much it. Just try not to stress too much. Keep calm and do maths I guess? Good luck with year 11!
    Thank-you so much for your advice! Did you find it difficult to manage the workload? That's another thing I am a bit worried about :/

ReputationRep:

Most of what I'm gonna say has already been said by this post which pretty much has the question answered.
    I've also just finished yr 11 and did edexcel GCSE maths and AQA further maths.
    They are quite different in the sense that imo further maths exam questions ask more direct questions based on algebraic manipulation whereas with GCSE maths the questions are more wordy with more emphasis on problem solving. I think to do well in Further Maths your algebra skills have to be VERY STRONG because a lot of the questions require this kind of skill.
    In terms of content Further Maths touches on AS Maths i.e. Calculs and some AS further maths I believe with matrices. Other than that (and limiting values of sequences) the topics are an extension of GCSE with again a greater emphasis on algebra.
    As the previous post stated PAST PAPERS help a lot and if you're able to complete 3 sets of them you'll be more prepared than 95% of my maths class! It just helps you to get used to the questions but word of warning, just because you do well in the past papers doesn't mean the exam will be just as predictable. Yes, some standard questions will turn up in the paper but EXPECT a few questions to make you have to think because that's the point of an exam right?
    Again further maths doesn't really help with normal maths gcse, in my real maths gcse i only applied my fm knowledge on the last question of paper 3 and that was it. That's what I mean when they're quite different despite them being both maths.
    Overall, if you're not naturally good at maths you'll find it difficult; however, if you practice a lot especially with algebra to the point where you see ways to tackle questions you'll do well. As for the real exam, don't panic if you can't see the answer after a while of trying (happened to me), move on and come back to it - as the previous post said it's usually some stupid geometry question or circle theorem question lol.
    Good luck with yr 11 and don't forget further maths past papers because it can easily be left until the very last minute due to other GCSEs taking up your time (especially during exam season).
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nakash)
    I am a GCSE student going into year eleven next year. I have never really been naturally talented at mathematics but I worked very hard and was able to get into the top set. I thought that things were going well in Year 10; I was doing well in all of my unit tests and I was rebuilding my confidence. In preparation for the year ten mocks, I was doing practice papers and going over topics and spending time at a weekly tutor. I thought I knew what to expect by doing past papers and what I believed was good revision but I went into my mock and I ended up getting a very low mark on one paper and a relatively mediocre mark on the other. Now I am panicking because my confidence has gone down completely and it has completely put me off doing further maths next year. Anyway sorry for the long winded story, my questions are: what is further maths really like? What revision will help me to do better in GCSE maths? Will doing further maths help my maths GCSE?
    Do you know which mocks you did? Which exam board? And what marks did you get? If you did an official mock that is based on the whole spec then a mediocre mark is common at the end of Y10 and you have a whole year to improve. Plus doing Further Maths (is it AQA Level 2 FM?) will help you with some of the grade 8/9 questions in GCSE maths.

Doing old spec past papers wouldn't have prepared you that well for some of the mocks for the new spec which are mostly very hard. For example, the Edexcel autumn mocks that were given to Y11 students produced an average mark of 30% nationally. The final exams were easier.

If you do FM next year then you need to make sure that you continue to practice the regular GCSE. Getting a high grade in GCSE maths is much more important then getting a high grade in FM. Some teachers will only concentrate on Further Maths in Y11 but if you have a tutor then you can use that time to concentrate on the maths GCSE. I recommend you discuss this with your tutor. I tutor students in a similar position to you and I would always concentrate heavily on the GCSE maths material during Y11 unless they are very confident with everything at the end of Y10.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by maninblack00)
    Most of what I'm gonna say has already been said by this post which pretty much has the question answered.
    I've also just finished yr 11 and did edexcel GCSE maths and AQA further maths.
    They are quite different in the sense that imo further maths exam questions ask more direct questions based on algebraic manipulation whereas with GCSE maths the questions are more wordy with more emphasis on problem solving. I think to do well in Further Maths your algebra skills have to be VERY STRONG because a lot of the questions require this kind of skill.
    In terms of content Further Maths touches on AS Maths i.e. Calculs and some AS further maths I believe with matrices. Other than that (and limiting values of sequences) the topics are an extension of GCSE with again a greater emphasis on algebra.
    As the previous post stated PAST PAPERS help a lot and if you're able to complete 3 sets of them you'll be more prepared than 95% of my maths class! It just helps you to get used to the questions but word of warning, just because you do well in the past papers doesn't mean the exam will be just as predictable. Yes, some standard questions will turn up in the paper but EXPECT a few questions to make you have to think because that's the point of an exam right?
    Again further maths doesn't really help with normal maths gcse, in my real maths gcse i only applied my fm knowledge on the last question of paper 3 and that was it. That's what I mean when they're quite different despite them being both maths.
    Overall, if you're not naturally good at maths you'll find it difficult; however, if you practice a lot especially with algebra to the point where you see ways to tackle questions you'll do well. As for the real exam, don't panic if you can't see the answer after a while of trying (happened to me), move on and come back to it - as the previous post said it's usually some stupid geometry question or circle theorem question lol.
    Good luck with yr 11 and don't forget further maths past papers because it can easily be left until the very last minute due to other GCSEs taking up your time (especially during exam season).
    Hi! Thank-you for your advice. I am actually quite good at algebra so that's good, it is more the problem solving parts that get me so that's good news but I will focus on that more. Thank you once again

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    Do you know which mocks you did? Which exam board? And what marks did you get? If you did an official mock that is based on the whole spec then a mediocre mark is common at the end of Y10 and you have a whole year to improve. Plus doing Further Maths (is it AQA Level 2 FM?) will help you with some of the grade 8/9 questions in GCSE maths.

Doing old spec past papers wouldn't have prepared you that well for some of the mocks for the new spec which are mostly very hard. For example, the Edexcel autumn mocks that were given to Y11 students produced an average mark of 30% nationally. The final exams were easier.

If you do FM next year then you need to make sure that you continue to practice the regular GCSE. Getting a high grade in GCSE maths is much more important then getting a high grade in FM. Some teachers will only concentrate on Further Maths in Y11 but if you have a tutor then you can use that time to concentrate on the maths GCSE. I recommend you discuss this with your tutor. I tutor students in a similar position to you and I would always concentrate heavily on the GCSE maths material during Y11 unless they are very confident with everything at the end of Y10.
    Hi, my mock exams were put together by teachers using past questions from exams. Our GCSE maths is with Edexcel and as far as I know our further maths should be the same, but I am not sure. I do agree in the sense that it seems to have become dramatically more difficult; it seemed as if my teachers had pulled the last question out of every past exam paper and put it into an exam. I plan to do revision of the GCSE with my tutor as my school focus solely on further maths in year 11 (which I think is a tad risky but oh well). Thank-you for your advice, my teachers often try to teach us or challenge us way above our standards in order to prepare us for the worst possible scenario, so maybe that is what happened for my mocks
    • TSR Support Team
    • Study Helper

ReputationRep:
    Hi, my mock exams were put together by teachers using past questions from exams. Our GCSE maths is with Edexcel and as far as I know our further maths should be the same, but I am not sure. I do agree in the sense that it seems to have become dramatically more difficult; it seemed as if my teachers had pulled the last question out of every past exam paper and put it into an exam. I plan to do revision of the GCSE with my tutor as my school focus solely on further maths in year 11 (which I think is a tad risky but oh well). Thank-you for your advice, my teachers often try to teach us or challenge us way above our standards in order to prepare us for the worst possible scenario, so maybe that is what happened for my mocks
    You're probably doing the AQA Level 2 Further Maths qualification (there is no Edexcel equivalent) but I may be wrong. It is common for students to do Edexcel GCSE maths and AQA Level 2 Further Maths.

If you have finished and understand most of the content then you're in a good position since you have a year to go. You just need to make sure you keep practicing GCSE Maths throughout the year. Unfortunately there aren't enough resources yet for practicing new style exam questions. In addition to the Edexcel mock and 2017 papers (which you won't be able to access), there are the specimen papers and the two problem solving sets available on the Edexcel website. Plus I recommend getting all the CGP resources including the Exam Practice Workbook, the Grade 9 Targeted Workbook and the set of six practice papers - these are all great resources.

And if you ever have questions throughout the year and your teacher/tutor is not available then I highly recommend posting in the maths forum

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notnek)
    You're probably doing the AQA Level 2 Further Maths qualification (there is no Edexcel equivalent) but I may be wrong. It is common for students to do Edexcel GCSE maths and AQA Level 2 Further Maths.

If you have finished and understand most of the content then you're in a good position since you have a year to go. You just need to make sure you keep practicing GCSE Maths throughout the year. Unfortunately there aren't enough resources yet for practicing new style exam questions. In addition to the Edexcel mock and 2017 papers (which you won't be able to access), there are the specimen papers and the two problem solving sets available on the Edexcel website. Plus I recommend getting all the CGP resources including the Exam Practice Workbook, the Grade 9 Targeted Workbook and the set of six practice papers - these are all great resources.

And if you ever have questions throughout the year and your teacher/tutor is not available then I highly recommend posting in the maths forum
    Thank-you! I have CGP revision guides for all three sciences and they're really useful so I will look into it

ReputationRep:
    Thank-you so much for your advice! Did you find it difficult to manage the workload? That's another thing I am a bit worried about :/
    Well not really. I started learning FM at about February time, so I had only 4 months to learn everything. All our lessons were afterschool, because there were only 4 of us doing it. It never really seemed to me like some more work, just a little something on the side. However, you do have a whole year to learn it, so as long as you distribute your work evenly, there's no reason why you won't be confident with it by the time exams come.

ReputationRep:
    Well not really. I started learning FM at about February time, so I had only 4 months to learn everything. All our lessons were afterschool, because there were only 4 of us doing it. It never really seemed to me like some more work, just a little something on the side. However, you do have a whole year to learn it, so as long as you distribute your work evenly, there's no reason why you won't be confident with it by the time exams come.
    Ok, thanks for your help

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Make your revision easier

Maths

Maths Forum posting guidelines

Not sure where to post? Read the updated guidelines here

Equations

How to use LaTex

Writing equations the easy way

Student revising

Study habits of A* students

Top tips from students who have already aced their exams

Study Planner

Create your own Study Planner

Never miss a deadline again

Polling station sign

Thinking about a maths degree?

Chat with other maths applicants

Can you help? Study help unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.