The Student Room Group

What misconceptions do people have about your condition(s)?

Scroll to see replies

Original post by Casisalive
"How can you be depressed when others have it worse than you" is one I hear alot. Yeah I get alot of people have it worse but how does that help a neurochemical imbalance.

This

It makes you feel awful for being depressed, just plunging you deeper
Original post by Kindred
L A Z Y
That and "You're young. Just do stuff."
(Regarding a condition that causes fatigue)

CFS ?
Regarding my epilepsy...

'can you feel yourself having a fit?'
'can you drink?'

No, I cannot feel it.

Yes, I can get wasted.

I'm fortunate enough to only have to take 1 tablet twice a day to keep my from having a seizure, and it's been that way since the day I first popped the pill. I know others on 4-5 different meds, none of which work.

Regarding my anxiety...

'but you're so talkative and social'

THIS ONE gets to me...not everyone with anxiety is shy and not all shy people have anxiety...sigh...
I have Chronic Fatigue Syndrome. People think its all mental and I could just will myself to get better. The most annoying one I've had is when 3 of my family members said I should try getting a juicer and having fruit juice every day and I would get better in weeks apparently. I tried to explain the actual science behind the condition and they wouldn't listen.
hypothyroidism :smile:
"you don't look tired"
"it isn't cold!"
*sigh* :frown:
Reply 25
Original post by rainbow.panda
I have panic disorder and emetophobia and I often get told things like "just stop thinking about it" and "try thinking positively". Like WOW I'm cured :dry:

Sorry to hear you suffer from these conditions, I do too and they can be debilitating :frown: when I was housebound from panic disorder a few years ago, all I got told/asked was - "have you ever tried not panicking?" - wtf?! :laugh: I can laugh about the stupidity of that comment now but it was so hurtful to hear when I was ill.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I had someone talk to me really slowly when I informed her I was visually impaired. :s-smilie: Erm...

Ok, you do have to talk to me slightly slower because I will mishear a lot of things; but still.
My partner has type 1 diabetes and a lot of people think she got it because she ate too much food when she was younger.
People like to assume that pet/animal allergies aren't a big deal when I ask if they have any pets I'm allergic to, which they are because I have almost died once because of an allergic reaction! There's also the typical "you're probably not allergic to my {pet}", well I won't know until I'm struggling to breathe mate.
"What do you mean it hurts more when you've been sitting down?" said while in hysterics at me on the brink of tears, about my sciatica. Sitting down stretches and puts additional pressure on the nerve, increasing pain, and is actually a diagnostic.

"But you seem so smart" about my autism. We often have above average IQs, we just don't communicate in the same way as non-autistic people so they misread us as being thick.

"You just need to chill out" about both my anxiety and depression. I don't think I need to go into that one...

:colonhash:
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 30
My grandpa lost a kidney due to kidney cancer and now has end stage renal failure and gets dialysis and is on the transplant list as many of you know and the amount of people that ask if he lost a kidney and developed renal failure due to drinking alcohol is unbelievable. He's lucky if he drank once or twice a year throughout his life. People seem shocked when they hear cancer and diabetes complications caused his problems.

Posted from TSR Mobile
I have sensory issues with my hearing (nothing that gets in the way too much, but it does cause some anxiety in certain situations) and "partially deaf" was what got out among my schoolmates.
Original post by harrythomas14
Regarding my epilepsy...

'can you feel yourself having a fit?'
'can you drink?'

No, I cannot feel it.

Yes, I can get wasted.

I'm fortunate enough to only have to take 1 tablet twice a day to keep my from having a seizure, and it's been that way since the day I first popped the pill. I know others on 4-5 different meds, none of which work.

Regarding my anxiety...

'but you're so talkative and social'

THIS ONE gets to me...not everyone with anxiety is shy and not all shy people have anxiety...sigh...

Honestly same on the anxiety one "but you're one of the loudest ones in the group!"
That doesn't mean I don't get nervous to go out most of the time or socially exhausted from talking to people.
Original post by jessiexlong
Honestly same on the anxiety one "but you're one of the loudest ones in the group!"
That doesn't mean I don't get nervous to go out most of the time or socially exhausted from talking to people.

This, basically.
This, basically.

Its literally taken me months to figure out who doesn't completely exhaust me socially within minutes 😂
I have an "invisible " disability
It an awful way to live
Using my blue badge gets me shouted st a LOT by old folks!
One told me I don't look like a cripple and another RAN across the car park to tell me I'd to move because he wanted my space!!!!
Original post by jessiexlong
Its literally taken me months to figure out who doesn't completely exhaust me socially within minutes 😂

Wait, come again?
Original post by bobby147
CFS ?

Hypothyroid and a few deficiencies, but things aren't improving much with treatment so starting to consider there might be something else too.
Wait, come again?

Some people, when I talk to them, make me extremely tired because I'm so awkward and scared of messing up the conversation (if this was the sims they'd be depleting my social bar instead of filling it), whereas with other people I'm more comfortable and they don't exhaust me as much.
That I have Post Traumatic Stress Disorder owing to events in my childhood in care. 'Well, you are nearly 70, you should be over it by now."

Quick Reply

Latest