Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think there is any chance that tuition fees in England will go down? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    We are talking about individual salaries not household.
    I was saying that because a previous poster stated that someone received only £5000 which means their parental income was more than £50000/per annum. Parental income is measured as dual income.

Either way $66000 USD a year is not much to be honest, especially with living costs in England being so high

ReputationRep:
    Nope - sadly. I'm not for free tuition. I know we need to pay into the system. However, we don't get our worth. I read an article recently, claiming that students only have about 26 hours of actual teaching time in three years. Improve standards and then the pay would be OK.

PS - Just finished high school and want to go to London School of Economics and Political Sciences

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    No, nor do I think it should.

The people who take advantage of higher education should bear the cost of it. Only people who end up in well-paying jobs will ever chip into their tuition-fee debt, either. It's a completely fair system.
    Is it fair that Scotland have no tuition fees and the Welsh have their government paying for the majority of theirs? Yet England have no help and just have their fees keep rising? We're the UK, we should be united as one and yet only one country's students are being ****ed over to no end.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by ScarletCelestia)
    Nope - sadly. I'm not for free tuition. I know we need to pay into the system. However, we don't get our worth. I read an article recently, claiming that students only have about 26 hours of actual teaching time in three years. Improve standards and then the pay would be OK.

PS - Just finished high school and want to go to London School of Economics and Political Sciences
    We should be paying for the service we're getting no? We only get like 6-10hours(idk) of lectures/seminars a week and yet we're paying £9,000+ a year for it? When lectures are more than an old guy reading from a powerpoint- then I'd say paying for it is worth it but right now, it's not. Lecturers barely reply to emails, they act as if teaching is beneath them and they're only there for research purposes and they read off poorly made powerpoint slides. One of mine even made us do a presentation each week - taking up half an hour of a 2 hour lecture on US TEACHING OURSELVES.

No it's not worth the money - when it is, I wouldn't complain about the fees.
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by justme13)
    I was saying that because a previous poster stated that someone received only £5000 which means their parental income was more than £50000/per annum. Parental income is measured as dual income.

Either way $66000 USD a year is not much to be honest, especially with living costs in England being so high
    UK median gross household income (pre-tax) for 2 adults and 1 child is £35,600. For 2 adults and 2 children it increases to £44,200.

https://www.gov.uk/government/upload...l_analysis.pdf

£50k is above average by any measure.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrunkie)
    We should be paying for the service we're getting no? We only get like 6-10hours(idk) of lectures/seminars a week and yet we're paying £9,000+ a year for it? When lectures are more than an old guy reading from a powerpoint- then I'd say paying for it is worth it but right now, it's not. Lecturers barely reply to emails, they act as if teaching is beneath them and they're only there for research purposes and they read off poorly made powerpoint slides. One of mine even made us do a presentation each week - taking up half an hour of a 2 hour lecture on US TEACHING OURSELVES.

No it's not worth the money - when it is, I wouldn't complain about the fees.
    But your fees also pay for upkeep of the uni and facilities.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    Of course and those facilities which are always out of order/not available to students

What I'm trying to say is that £9k is not worth it for half-hearted education that is slowly becoming worthless. Universities get MORE than enough money from students, and yet they still charge us to print?

ReputationRep:
    It would increase naturally with inflation unless labour somehow manages to get into power

(Original post by ScarletCelestia)

Those 26 hours would be dependent on the degree, I'm already going to assume it's for something like golf management or something else ridiculous and is being used to try and sway people
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    I'm already going to assume it's for something like golf management or something else ridiculous and is being used to try and sway people
    a 5% unemployment rate.

90% working in professional or management roles.

https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/empl...eturnTo/Search

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by scrunkie)
    Is it fair that Scotland have no tuition fees and the Welsh have their government paying for the majority of theirs? Yet England have no help and just have their fees keep rising? We're the UK, we should be united as one and yet only one country's students are being ****ed over to no end.
    Because someone has a better hand than yours doesn't mean your own hand is weak.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bloomblaze)
    I have noticed increased discussion recently in the media (after this years election) about tuition fees in England.

Here are some interesting articles:

https://www.theguardian.com/commenti...-andrew-adonis

https://www.theguardian.com/higher-e...y-tuition-fees

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-40569202

Realistically do you think there is any possibility the fees will come down in the next few years?

(The reason why I ask is because I'm in my twenties and I am considering going back to education as a mature student, I have been looking at English universities but the tuition fees in England are very very high in my opinion.)

Thanks
    It's possible, because at one time there were no tuition fees and you even got a grant that you could live on.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Notorious_B.I.G.)
    Because someone has a better hand than yours doesn't mean your own hand is weak.
    Well I feel pretty disadvantaged (not to say I'm not privileged in any way, cos I am) considering I could have much less debt/no debt if I were born & studied on the other side of the borders... It's just baffling how every other country in the UK has some form of extra help, and England just get the brunt of it all. We should all be subject to the £9k fees, or we should all be entitled to some form of extra help.

* to clarify: I believe we should be paying tuition fees, I just don't think £9k is a reasonable amount considering most never pay back the full amount anyway.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Greenway123)
    It's possible, because at one time there were no tuition fees and you even got a grant that you could live on.
    That was a very long time ago when going to university wasn't basically an extension of college.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Tiger Rag)
    And yet at many (most?) universities, there has been no real change in facilities or the level of upkeep since fees were trebled.

ReputationRep:
    a 5% unemployment rate.

90% working in professional or management roles.

https://unistats.ac.uk/subjects/empl...eturnTo/Search
    That's not really relevant, my point was its likely to have far less contact hours than a science or engineering degree for example.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    That's not really relevant, my point was its likely to have far less contact hours than a science or engineering degree for example.
    Wut?!

Anyway, it's around 25% lectures & seminars vs 75% independent study. Not hugely dissimilar to Maths (31%) at Birmingham, or MechEng (34%).

And more than humanities such as History (13%), Economics (22%), Law (18%)

Why does 25% contact time make it ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    There is now complete over-capacity of Uni places and going forward no government will be able to keep this going without hiking fees up to £20k+. So, what will actually happen is that Uni places will reduce - probably by some Unis actually closing - and therefore the more limited places will remain at £9k or similar.

ReputationRep:
    Wut?!

Anyway, it's around 25% lectures & seminars vs 75% independent study. Not hugely dissimilar to Maths (31%) at Birmingham, or MechEng (34%).

And more than humanities such as History (13%).

Why does 25% contact time make it ridiculous?
    Just my personal opinion on the degree.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    Just my personal opinion on the degree.
    Go on then, expand.

Seems ideal for someone who loves golf and wants to be involved in the sport other than as a playing professional.

Certainly seems to be a successful, niche, course.

You specifically questioned the contact hours, which it turns out are good. I already showed it's an employable course. So by what other measure is it ridiculous?

ReputationRep:
    Go on then, expand.

Seems ideal for someone who loves golf and wants to be involved in the sport other than as a playing professional.

Certainly seems to be a successful, niche, course.

You specifically questioned the contact hours, which it turns out are good. I already showed it's an employable course. So by what other measure is it ridiculous?
    Through my lack of interest in golf.
    I didn't question its hours, I questioned how it was potentially being used as a statistic for university in general.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.