Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Do you think there is any chance that tuition fees in England will go down? Watch

Announcements
    • Section Leader
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Kravence)
    Through my lack of interest in golf.
    I didn't question its hours, I questioned how it was potentially being used as a statistic for university in general.
    Now I'm v confused... So you don't think contact hours are a valid statistic?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Now I'm v confused... So you don't think contact hours are a valid statistic?
    It is but only for specific degrees and not all degrees.
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    It is but only for specific degrees and not all degrees.
    Oh I see, only when it appears to help your case. Got it.

Thanks for that.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Doonesbury)
    Oh I see, only when it appears to help your case. Got it.

Thanks for that.
    So you're saying it's perfectly fine to say one degrees contact hours represents every single degree?
    Golf management was just an example I pulled out of thin air, I'm not sure why that has offended you
    • Section Leader

ReputationRep:
    So you're saying it's perfectly fine to say one degrees contact hours represents every single degree?
    Golf management was just an example I pulled out of thin air, I'm not sure why that has offended you
    You used Golf Management as an example. When I asked you to clarify why, you said the contact hours were low. But they aren't. The contact hours are similar to STEM courses and higher than humanities.

What offends me is lazy thinking.

ReputationRep:
    I think there is a distinct possibility as the burden of debt on graduates has become too high. Labour will have a proposal and this will put pressure on the Tories, should they remain in power, to offer something too. Of course it will need to be funded in other ways, probably increases in taxation and maybe requirements for unis to reduce costs and perhaps reductions in degree courses. For me it is logical that education which generally benefits all should be funded out of progressive taxation or industry sponsorship.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by returnmigrant)
    There is now complete over-capacity of Uni places and going forward no government will be able to keep this going without hiking fees up to £20k+. So, what will actually happen is that Uni places will reduce - probably by some Unis actually closing - and therefore the more limited places will remain at £9k or similar.
    Mergers are more likely to reduce the back-office costs; registry, marketing, admissions etc

The problem with closures are that universities have become the steel works of the 21st century. After the local council and the local hospital, the local university is often the biggest employer in town, with enormous numbers of other businesses dependant on them.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Mergers are more likely to reduce the back-office costs; registry, marketing, admissions etc

The problem with closures are that universities have become the steel works of the 21st century. After the local council and the local hospital, the local university is often the biggest employer in town, with enormous numbers of other businesses dependant on them.
    The sector has imo had a couple of golden decades but site closures and redundancies seem to be accelerating.

MMU's Crewe campus to close
    MU accused of planning clearout

Universities are acting in an almost businesslike fashion as one interviewee noted in the second article
    “This sort of practice may be common in the corporate world but it is extremely rare in universities,” he said. “They have broken an unspoken moral contract that it isn’t going to act like a corporate firm. It is going to change the tone very markedly. Manchester University never used to be a business.”
    I think merger between unis with largely duplicate course offers will mean large scale shutdowns and job losses - not just in admin. The effect of previous rounds of merger has been to make the undergraduate offer of unis quite generic so the duplication in a merged entity would be high.

ReputationRep:
    None at all under this government, and to be honest I doubt it even under a Labour one if there was to be one in 2022. The economy will have suffered under the EU exit and dealing with poverty, benefits and other issues such as the NHS will take preference.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Joinedup)
    The sector has imo had a couple of golden decades but site closures and redundancies seem to be accelerating.

I think merger between unis with largely duplicate course offers will mean large scale shutdowns and job losses - not just in admin. The effect of previous rounds of merger has been to make the undergraduate offer of unis quite generic so the duplication in a merged entity would be high.
    We have to be careful with the data though.

Crewe and Alsager College, as was, has run out of students, I suspect largely because because of its disadvantageous location in a world without a shortage of teacher training places.

The problem with these redundancy programmes is that we have seen them before.

https://www.theguardian.com/educatio...ancy-recession

But then look at academic staff numbers (the bottom line)

https://www.hesa.ac.uk/data-and-analysis/staff

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Uni match

Applying to uni?

Our tool will help you find the perfect course

Articles:

Debate and current affairs guidelinesDebate and current affairs wiki

Quick link:

Educational debate unanswered threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.