Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dutch left-wing newspaper: "Dutch culture doesn't exist and has never existed". Watch

ReputationRep:
    "de Volkskrant, or the People's newspaper, claims that "Dutch culture doesn't exist and has never existed.

"The radical-right propaganda of columnist Derk Jan Eppink should not remain unanswered"

Drivel.

It took me 2 days out of a 2-week vacation to the Netherlands to be overwhelmed by their culture.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    "de Volkskrant, or the People's newspaper, claims that "Dutch culture doesn't exist and has never existed.

"The radical-right propaganda of columnist Derk Jan Eppink should not remain unanswered"

Drivel.

It took me 2 days out of a 2-week vacation to the Netherlands to be overwhelmed by their culture.
    Good for you

ReputationRep:

Rather than throw out a headline, what is the newspaper's argument for this somewhat improbable conclusion?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    Rather than throw out a headline, what is the newspaper's argument for this somewhat improbable conclusion?
    Although my Dutch is quite poor, I was able to understand most of the article.

It is a reply to a column made by Derk Jan Eppink

Honestly, it's hard to understand Cas Mudde's rationale behind the "Dutch culture does not exist and never existed" claim. You'll need to ask a native.

Although I won't deny immigration is central to populism, the author calls it anti-immigration which is disingenuous, for the most part. He goes on to call Douglas Murray an "Islamophobe", which is ludicrous - Murray is on the same level as Sam Harris when it comes to criticisms of Islam, the faith.

The author is in complete denial of the effects of mass and uncontrolled immigration on culture in Europe.

Radical-right defines cultures and ethnic groups in essentialistic terms, as if they are homogeneous and unchangeable. Dutch culture, however, does not exist and never existed.

No matter what way you look at the word 'culture', it's undeniable that a Dutch culture exists, that an Italian, German, Swiss, French, British, etc... exist.

ReputationRep:

Radical-right defines cultures and ethnic groups in essentialistic terms, as if they are homogeneous and unchangeable. Dutch culture, however, does not exist and never existed.

No matter what way you look at the word 'culture', it's undeniable that a Dutch culture exists, that an Italian, German, Swiss, French, British, etc... exist.
    And a culture neither has to be homogenous nor unchangeable in order to exist.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    um what

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by nulli tertius)
    And a culture neither has to be homogenous nor unchangeable in order to exist.
    I agree that culture isn't homogenous or unchangeable, but to say it doesn't exist is preposterous. Culture to me is the fundamentals surrounded by things we've picked through our societal evolution, and it's under threat.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by serah.exe)
    um what
    I had the same reaction.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I had the same reaction.
    I'm from the Netherlands myself and the article title seems stupid/confusing/insulting; of course there's an amazing culture and the Dutch are proud of it

ReputationRep:
    I'm from the Netherlands myself and the article title seems stupid/confusing/insulting; of course there's an amazing culture and the Dutch are proud of it
    Eyyyyy hoe gaat het?

Yeah, Amsterdam and Muiden were proper nice.
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Eyyyyy hoe gaat het?

Ik heel goed, dank u wel :ahee:

Amsterdam's where I'm from, glad you like it. :yep:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Eyyyyy hoe gaat het?

Ik heel goed, dank u wel :ahee:

Amsterdam's where I'm from, glad you like it. :yep:
    English translations pls. Rules n stuff...
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    English translations pls. Rules n stuff...
    He asked if I liked cheese (popular in the Netherlands) and I said yes

ReputationRep:
    Kaas is zoe lekker maar wiet is beter
    • Political Ambassador
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    Kaas is zoe lekker maar wiet is beter
    Ik ben het met je eens :leaf:

ReputationRep:
    Ik ben het met je eens :leaf:
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Funny.

alexschmalex my brother pls come and see

ReputationRep:

Drivel.

I have found there is a Dutch culture from my visits there. Good things such as the level of cycling, the trains, the artworks especially of the 17th century, spas where no-one bats an eyelid when you sit in a sauna without clothes, for example.

Whether all of it is good and should be preserved is something for legitimate debate, of course. Geert Wilders is a man of hate and should not be supported though.

ReputationRep:
    No White country has a culture or even exists. Asian countries, however, do exist and have their own cultures. The same goes for African countries.

A White country is any country that needs to be flooded with Africans and Asians.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.