Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Dutch left-wing newspaper: "Dutch culture doesn't exist and has never existed". Watch

ReputationRep:
    So what is Dutch culture? I admire the social liberalism, but overall I've always found Amsterdam to be a pretty bland experience compared to, say, Spain.

ReputationRep:
    Justin Trudeau's pulling the same crap in Canada: asserting they have no core culture and hence is a blank canvas (for Islamists to turn black). Slowly, the citizenry of Europe are waking up to the dismal reality that mainstream politicians, plus the left, are a bunch of traitors/imbeciles

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Hotel1000)
    No White country has a culture or even exists. Asian countries, however, do exist and have their own cultures. The same goes for African countries.

A White country is any country that needs to be flooded with Africans and Asians.
    But of course. Whites are not indigenous to anywhere, they are nothing more than a demented, orc like mutation, who just randomly spawned in some swamp one day and started oppressing all the superior non-white races, who were all living in perfect harmony with one another before the white devils came along and ruined everything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Dodgypirate)
    Although I won't deny immigration is central to populism, the author calls it anti-immigration which is disingenuous, for the most part. He goes on to call Douglas Murray an "Islamophobe", which is ludicrous - Murray is on the same level as Sam Harris when it comes to criticisms of Islam, the faith.
    Worth pointing out that Murray's most prominent appearance in the Netherlands was this speech to the Dutch Parliament in 2006, which includes the following gems:
    - "Where a [Muslim] person [who commits a crime] was born in the West, they should be deported to the country of origin of their parent or grandparent."
    - "Conditions for Muslims in Europe must be made harder across the board: Europe must look like a less attractive proposition. We in Europe owe – after all – no special dues to Islam. We owe them no religious holidays, special rights or privileges. From long before we were first attacked it should have been made plain that people who come into Europe are here under our rules and not theirs. There is not an inch of ground to give on this one. Where a mosque has become a centre of hate it should be closed and pulled down. If that means that some Muslims don't have a mosque to go to, then they'll just have to realise that they aren't owed one."
    - (Also a few really dumb comments unrelated to Islam or Muslims*)

These aren't attacks on religious extremism, or organised religion, or even criticisms of Islam as a religion specifically. They are simply an attack on the rights of Muslims citizens in general via othering - he's presenting Muslims as necessarily "foreign" and as such entitled to less rights than everybody else.

* The things I'm talking about here are:
    - Murray's claim that the US actually won the Vietnam War because "During the Tet Offensive the American military was killing the enemy at ratios of 30-40 for every GI lost. That, under any calculation, should be thought of as a victory." In other words, he misunderstands insurgency in precisely the same way the American generals in Vietnam did.
    - His claim that "revolution and rebellion are ingrained into the [French] national psyche in the wake of '68", as if, you know, 1789-95, 1830, 1832, 1848 and 1871 hadn't all happened and been heavily ingrained into French historical memory before 1968.

Eyyyyy hoe gaat het?

Yeah, Amsterdam and Muiden were proper nice.
    Gesundheit!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Gesundheit!
    Dat is Duits, mijn vriend.

Dat is Duits, mijn vriend.
    Ah, sorry, I just thought you were sneezing or choking or something.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Mathemagicien)
    Ah, sorry, I just thought you were sneezing or choking or something.
    Geen probleem.

ReputationRep:
    Well, Dutch culture is part of the broader Western culture. I guess what makes it unique is the transformation the Dutch provinces have undergone since the Reformation.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 27, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.