Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

As long as you have a calorie deficit you can eat junk food every day? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ive been calorie counting for the past week limiting to 1500 calories. I've been averaging around 1300 calores a day but these 1300 have mostly been from junk food. Does it matter what i actually eat or is it fine as long as I have a calorie deficit?

Like, I've just had five biscuits for 200 calories which has brought me up to 1300 today but I feel guilty about it and don't know if I should.

ReputationRep:
    Well you don't get any vital vitamins and minerals so no it's not really fine

ReputationRep:
    keep eating junk everyday and your skin will look like ****

ReputationRep:
    In what sense?

If you're trying to lose weight, sure. It doesn't matter what you eat, just how much you eat.

Is it healthy? No.

ReputationRep:
    Yes you will will lose weight. However, it's highly likely that you wont be getting all your vitamins which can be an aid to losing weight (B vitamins to my knowledge) and generally being healthy.

ReputationRep:
    The problem is more about the imbalance that say, having a McDonald's meal every day would bring. That stuff's full of salt and saturated fat so sure you'll be in a caloric deficit and may lose weight but you won't be particularly healthy! How does a high blood pressure and a buildup of crap in your arteries sound?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Airfairy)
    Ive been calorie counting for the past week limiting to 1500 calories. I've been averaging around 1300 calores a day but these 1300 have mostly been from junk food. Does it matter what i actually eat or is it fine as long as I have a calorie deficit?

Like, I've just had five biscuits for 200 calories which has brought me up to 1300 today but I feel guilty about it and don't know if I should.
    I am literally doing the same thing as you, target is 1500 calories as well. This does work when losing weight is you're only goal but it's not healthy. We both need to focus on improving our diets as well as lowering the calorie intake

ReputationRep:
    There are slim, healthy looking people walking around who have very unhealthy diets. If you live on unhealthy, high fat foods, you risk having a heart attack. Someone I worked with dropped dead at the age of 29 of a heart attack. He was slim and a professional dancer so to all intents and purposes was healthy. But he ate junk most days. He just had a fast metabolism so burned it off quickly, coupled with his job. But all that fat is accumulating around your heart and arteries, even if you cannot see it outwardly.

ReputationRep:
    You'll lose weight yes, but it's not healthy. Especially long term.

ReputationRep:
    Calories vs calories out for weight management, but for health? Depends on the content of one's diet.

In your case, eating in a deficit will grant you weight loss, but what your diet contains is not healthy. I'd recommend that you significantly reduce the number of calories that come from junk food - you'll both look and feel far better for it...my new e-Book goes further into this @ thedietresolution.com

ReputationRep:
    Like others have said you will gain the desired result of weight loss but you'll be missing out on important nutrients such as vitamins, minerals, fibre, etc so you'll feel like rubbish

ReputationRep:
    Running a calorie deficit means your limiting a lot of what you eat so you’re not able to eat a wide range of food and gain nutrition, so if you want a healthy lifestyle you have make sure those reduced calories contain all the nutrients you need, if not more, leaving little to no space for junk food. But you would lose weight, technically.

Although if you ate carbs at night you wouldn’t, they might be less in calories but 10g of ununsed carbs = ~10g fat. So there’s more to it than just a deficit, certain foods you eat can boost your energy, promoting better weight loss - am I gonna be more active in the gym after eating a bowl of oats and fruits or a pack of Doritos? They could be the same calories but one is helping me put my body to good use

ReputationRep:
    It's not healthy at all. Eat at least 80% healthy in a caloric deficit - then you can have SOME junk and not be deprived but still be mostly healthy and losing weight.

ReputationRep:
    Reading these replies is scaring me :hide:

I need to cut down on the junk food :erm:
    • TSR Support Team
    • PS Reviewer

ReputationRep:
    Yes you can do it.

It's not healthy

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.