Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    This year I was faced with some unexpectedly bad exam marks and the situation which my student advisor had previously told me was pretty likely after my first semester results and that is, repeating second year. I got my results back from my second semester exams, my studying technique improved (less passive studying more active learning) and I got higher marks but it still wasn't enough. I've heard back after submitting an application to resit the year and am told I will need an interview and doctors note to say I'm fit to return to academia. I was wondering if anyone has repeated a year at Glasgow and if so what is the process and should I be worried my application can get denied?

My worst fear at this moment is getting forced into doing a designated degree (three year degree, no honours) which I am terrified of.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by carlsbear)
    This year I was faced with some unexpectedly bad exam marks and the situation which my student advisor had previously told me was pretty likely after my first semester results and that is, repeating second year. I got my results back from my second semester exams, my studying technique improved (less passive studying more active learning) and I got higher marks but it still wasn't enough. I've heard back after submitting an application to resit the year and am told I will need an interview and doctors note to say I'm fit to return to academia. I was wondering if anyone has repeated a year at Glasgow and if so what is the process and should I be worried my application can get denied?

My worst fear at this moment is getting forced into doing a designated degree (three year degree, no honours) which I am terrified of.
    There seems tp be a lot you arent telling us about why you are getting these marks plus why you have to provide a doctors note. Clearly the uni feels there are other circumstances affecting your academic performance and whether you are up to studying. Speak to the welfare team and your GP.

If you wish to avoid being on a designated degree, then you will need to convince them of your ability to make improvements plus cope with the course.
    You will then need to improve your academics.

There are too many missing details to form an assessment of what their concerns are, but if you can address them then you should be able to persuade them to let you continue. That is the whole point of the meeting, so be prepared to show them you understand your situation plus you will make the changes needed to succeed.

ReputationRep:
    The doctors note thing was sent in a generic email which they send to everyone (my friend who resat the year last year told me this) which is why I'm not sure if I actually need one. I didn't post about my situation cause it's quite personal but both my parents were really ill and in and out of hospital over the end of last year with emergency surgeries etc. I had to look after my younger sister most of the time I was at home and I also live with my gran who had a massive stroke and has short term memory impairments. My parents are a lot better now and there's a lot taken off my plate as well as my studying technique has improved and I just really do not want to be on a designated degree.
    • Very Important Poster

The doctors note thing was sent in a generic email which they send to everyone (my friend who resat the year last year told me this) which is why I'm not sure if I actually need one. I didn't post about my situation cause it's quite personal but both my parents were really ill and in and out of hospital over the end of last year with emergency surgeries etc. I had to look after my younger sister most of the time I was at home and I also live with my gran who had a massive stroke and has short term memory impairments. My parents are a lot better now and there's a lot taken off my plate as well as my studying technique has improved and I just really do not want to be on a designated degree.
    That changes a lot form your OP as its highly relevant. You have a legitimate reason as to why your marks were sub par? Were they aware of your family problems? Is anyone able to verify the position with your parents i.e local minister, Dr, social worker? Someone independent and a professional? Does your GP know what was going on and did you get any treatment for stress etc. mentioning the medical conditions will give them an indication of how serious the situation was, but you need to emphasise how it affected you mentally and physically. Did you mention it to your tutor, welfare services?

If you make a good case plus have supporting documents, then I'd think they would be sympathetic and give you a chance of avoiding the designated degree. You have to get your message across though and dont hide. they cant take it into account if you decide not to tell them because its personal.

Go and see the student advisor for support or a second set of eyes to read what your application.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by 999tigger)
    That changes a lot form your OP as its highly relevant. You have a legitimate reason as to why your marks were sub par? Were they aware of your family problems? Is anyone able to verify the position with your parents i.e local minister, Dr, social worker? Someone independent and a professional? Does your GP know what was going on and did you get any treatment for stress etc. mentioning the medical conditions will give them an indication of how serious the situation was, but you need to emphasise how it affected you mentally and physically. Did you mention it to your tutor, welfare services?

If you make a good case plus have supporting documents, then I'd think they would be sympathetic and give you a chance of avoiding the designated degree. You have to get your message across though and dont hide. they cant take it into account if you decide not to tell them because its personal.

Go and see the student advisor for support or a second set of eyes to read what your application.
    Thank you! I feel like you've really cleared this up for me and given me a bit more hope in this situation
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    That all sounds really stressful - I'm not surprised if you were struggling to study, and hopefully the university would be understanding as well.

I think you'd be best contacting the SRC (www.glasgowstudent.net/advice/academic/) as they will know what the process is, and they should be able to give you advice on avoiding a designated degree. They can also help you appeal against university decisions if you need to.
    • Very Important Poster

Thank you! I feel like you've really cleared this up for me and given me a bit more hope in this situation
    I think you have enough to work with to make a decent case and be reasonably confident.

Its difficult to advise properly on a message board and thats why interviewing is preferable and more effective. Go and see the student advisor as long as you make a decent case maybe 1-2 sides of A4, then youd have a decent chance.

Your case will be a narrative along the lines of the previous post to explain whats happened and when and the consequences for you. Looking forward you need to acknowledge and explain your marks and why they suffered. You would then point out that is not your true potential and as things have improved you are now able to return to studies and do yourself justice.

Any supporting evidence even from your GP confirming the fact youve had family dramas but are now fit to return to study etc would be taken into account. Dont underestimate supporting evidence or good preparation so they see you are serious.
    No idea what regulations cover you but this is an example from the school of medicine, Dentistry and Nursing. They must have had some sort of meeting to let you repeat the year, so this meeting is about something else.

It gives you an idea of how they approach the issue.

Name:  glasgow progression.PNG
Views: 75
Size:  67.1 KB
    A student advisor can identify which are the exact rules you need to look at.
    https://www.glasgowstudent.net/about/representation/

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.