The Student Room Group

GCSE Edexcel Maths and Further Maths support

Hey guys, I did my maths and further maths GCSE Edexcel exams this year, and recently I've seen a lot of questions from soon-to-be year 11's that are going to start doing further maths in september. I'm making this thread so you guys can ask any questions you have about the two topics, and I'll try my best to answer them!
Hii

I’m currently in Year 11, and I’m going to sit my FP Maths exam this June hopefully. I’m kinda stuck on this question, and would appreciate some help with it x))

28896933-EE79-4310-B8A8-CEBD39B5D47B.jpeg
Hi, first of all, thanks for the question and sorry for the late reply. It's been such a long time and I guess it's that time of year again!

When it asks for the position vector, essentially it is just asking for a vector that starts from the origin, so you have to find OM\vec{OM}

From part a, you should have gotten p = 6 and q = -4.
(I'm going to use column vector notation because I find it easier than writing out i's and j's all the time.)
This gives us that OB=(124)\vec{OB} = \begin{pmatrix} 12 \\ -4 \end{pmatrix} and OC=(64)\vec{OC} = \begin{pmatrix} 6 \\ 4 \end{pmatrix}

Now, because the point D lies on OB\vec{OB} , we know that OD=kOB\vec{OD} = k\vec{OB} , where k is some scalar constant. However, because DC\vec{DC}
is parallel to OA\vec{OA} , we can deduce using similar triangles that k = 1/3. Which makes sense if you try and draw a diagram.

So this gives us that OD=1/3(124)\vec{OD} = 1/3\begin{pmatrix} 12 \\ -4 \end{pmatrix}

At this point, it is relatively easy. I'm sure finding k was the problem you had, so I'll leave it here for you to finish! Just remember to try drawing a diagram, they can really help, especially with vectors.

Good luck, and let me know if you need any additional hints!
Original post by DisneylandChina
Hey guys, I did my maths and further maths GCSE Edexcel exams this year, and recently I've seen a lot of questions from soon-to-be year 11's that are going to start doing further maths in september. I'm making this thread so you guys can ask any questions you have about the two topics, and I'll try my best to answer them!

should I still take further maths even if we only really started doing it now? I do one lesson after school once every week
Original post by Luckystars500
should I still take further maths even if we only really started doing it now? I do one lesson after school once every week

Thank you for the question. I started learning further maths around February time, which gave me 4 months to prepare for my exams.

At first, it was just like your structure of lessons with one per week. But as the exams got closer, it became 4 times a week.

The biggest thing I learned about Further Maths (at least, for Edexcel's IGCSE) was that the questions are practically the same every year. If you are intent on taking FM, you have to be committed to practising the subject even outside of school. One or two hours a week won't cut it. You just have to continually do practice papers, and it won't be that difficult to pick up.

FM is all about practice. Don't think too much about it being a qualification though, think of it as an experience. It will definitely prove beneficial to you if you want to take Maths or Further Maths at A-Level.

While I would recommend that you do take FM, you have to be realistic. Will it affect your other studies? Are you performing well enough in normal maths that you think you can do further maths? Are you willing to spend your time outside of school practising?

In the end, it's your decision to make.
Good luck with your GCSEs nonetheless!
Original post by Meriam Mkadmi
Hii

I’m currently in Year 11, and I’m going to sit my FP Maths exam this June hopefully. I’m kinda stuck on this question, and would appreciate some help with it x))

28896933-EE79-4310-B8A8-CEBD39B5D47B.jpeg

dont mind me asking, but r u a girl or boy?
Original post by DisneylandChina
Thank you for the question. I started learning further maths around February time, which gave me 4 months to prepare for my exams.

At first, it was just like your structure of lessons with one per week. But as the exams got closer, it became 4 times a week.

The biggest thing I learned about Further Maths (at least, for Edexcel's IGCSE) was that the questions are practically the same every year. If you are intent on taking FM, you have to be committed to practising the subject even outside of school. One or two hours a week won't cut it. You just have to continually do practice papers, and it won't be that difficult to pick up.

FM is all about practice. Don't think too much about it being a qualification though, think of it as an experience. It will definitely prove beneficial to you if you want to take Maths or Further Maths at A-Level.

While I would recommend that you do take FM, you have to be realistic. Will it affect your other studies? Are you performing well enough in normal maths that you think you can do further maths? Are you willing to spend your time outside of school practising?

In the end, it's your decision to make.
Good luck with your GCSEs nonetheless!

Original post by goku21699

Hey, not at all! I’m a girl x))

Quick Reply

Latest