Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I become a pilot without a levels ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Hey,
    I'm currently doing Btec and I really want to become a pilot but they need A levels and I don't have any😭 Is there's any way that I can still become a pilot ?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    What kind of pilot? The answer is probably no regardless though. They expect A Levels and often a degree.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by cbreef)
    What kind of pilot? The answer is probably no regardless though. They expect A Levels and often a degree.
    Commercial pilot?
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alyzah)
    Commercial pilot?
    Better get studying my friend.

ReputationRep:
    You don't need A levels to be able to fly.

You will need A levels (minimum) to be recruited by any company.

ReputationRep:
    It will be the airline or flight school who demand a certain level of education. Training at a local aerodrome and self-study, technically, has no educational requirements.

I've known pilots in training with little or few qualifications, and I regret to say that they never fare well. The theory exams tend to test you the most, as there's tons of information to learn for 14 exams, so intelligence and the ability to retain information is a big issue.

The pilots I fly with tend to have university degrees, although it is becoming very common for people to start flight training straight out of school with A-Levels or equivalent. Personally, I'd recommend having a back-up plan, like going to university, or working for a few years to gain life experience. It certainly gives you the edge in airline interviews, and if you lose your licence or hate the job, you have something else to do.

In my opinion, too many people are trying to start too young, when it would be better to give it five years and have that extra maturity and education. There's a bit of an obsession with being at the controls of an airliner at 19 years old with all your friends on Instagram to see, when there's just no need for it. Potentially, you've got 40 years of work ahead of you, so take your time and act wisely!

Posted from TSR Mobile

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Alyzah)
    Hey,
    I'm currently doing Btec and I really want to become a pilot but they need A levels and I don't have any😭 Is there's any way that I can still become a pilot ?
    Most commercial flight schools will ask for 5 GCSE's (A*-C) at a minimum, including Maths, English and Science (and about £100,000). The RAF ask for a minimum of 5 GCSE's (A*-C) including English Language and Mathematics + 2 A-Levels = 64 UCAS points or a Degree.
    Good luck with your career.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
    Useful resources

Featured recruiter profiles:

HM Treasury logo

Policy adviser grad scheme

"Shape the UK’s future and your skills."

Quick link:

Unanswered public sector threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.