The Student Room Group

I need help.

I have just started my A Levels this year studying AS. I am thinking of dropping out of A levels many times but I 'm half hearted, something tells me to just keep going. I just don't know what to do. I never wanted to study A Levels, I'm not doing A Levels with my own will. I was forced to do A Levels because I have no where to go. I'm not happy where I am. I have cried timeless times doing my A Levels. I have mental breakdown prolly every week.

I take Physics , Chemistry & IT. I take Physics because I didnt want to take Biology as they say Chem and Bio are best mates. I take IT because I dont want to take Maths. So truthfully, the only subject that I enjoy is Chemistry but I got a U for my first exam. I got 2 U's and 1 D.

I can stop now and take a diploma next year but a degree would be better isnt it? And university seems a lot of fun but thats only if I score good grades and there are university that will accept me. I don't want to waste my 2 years in A levels to only get poor results.

I really don't know what to do. Please give me some advice. I've talked to my mom about this but she said its up to me and honestly I have no idea what to do.

I don't really have a lot of friends here that I can talk with or share my thoughts with. I only have one friend here that I are really close to me.

Should I stop A levels? My results are not good and it isn't something that I want to do but being a degree holder would be nice.
(edited 6 years ago)
Original post by Nicoledanie
x.

Well if you're not getting the results and you're not happy right now it's probably a good thing you're reconsidering things :smile:.

Have you thought about other options other than A Levels? Or maybe starting a new choice of A Level subjects? Maybe you just need a bit of academic help to get you back on track with the Chemistry for example. It does require a lot of work at A Level but is rewarding when you apply yourself. Have you spoken to teachers about this?
Reply 2
I know a lot of people who did a level first but hated it due to stress and failing. It happens if u choose the wrong subjects and dislike them. If you hate exams, do a vocational course it will still lead u to uni. However make sure you choose the right course. If you know what u want to do at uni...then u will know what course to pick. Dont do something you dislike. Do something you enjoy
Reply 3
Yes, i can take a diploma course next year. I think its too late to change the subject combination.
But i have like ZERO motivation to even study.
I have not talk to any teachers yet about this.

Original post by banoffeee
Well if you're
not getting the results and you're not happy right now it's probably a good thing you're reconsidering things :smile:.

Have you thought about other options other than A Levels? Or maybe starting a new choice of A Level subjects? Maybe you just need a bit of academic help to get you back on track with the Chemistry for example. It does require a lot of work at A Level but is rewarding when you apply yourself. Have you spoken to teachers about this?

Original post by banoffeee
Well if you're not getting the results and you're not happy right now it's probably a good thing you're reconsidering things :smile:.

Reply 4
Ever thought of getting an apprenticeship? You can sometimes go onto Uni and do other things depending on what you are doing an apprenticeship in. I'd always recommend an apprenticeship, I hated A Levels and dropped out, working suits me better. Maybe you are the same.
I'm sorry you're going through this. I would definitely recommend dropping out of A-levels if they're causing you this much agro - your health is more important.

I'd also only consider going to uni if you know exactly what you want to do with your life and know what course(s) will get you there - there's no point in accruing massive debts because uni 'looks fun'.

Find something you love to do, and do what needs to be done to get there.
whats your motivation for going to uni?
Being a degree holder for the sake of holding a degree is pretty pointless, tbh. The whole reason to go to uni is to study a subject you really enjoy (then find out its a lot harder than you could have ever imagined...lol). Like myself, im interested in human disease, specifically related to neuroscience, so I did a Medical science degree. As if that pure torture wasnt enough im just about to finish a Masters degree, where ive been studying developmental disorders.

Im incredibly interested in the stuff ive been studying-so much so, I want to make a career out of it, do a PhD next etc.....The whole reason they ask for good grades at A-level is because you wont get good grades if you arent incredible interested in the topics you chose. Also, because its a sign you can possibly handle the pressures of university-which are intense, believe me. Just because uni "looks fun", what with all those nights out or whatever, doesn't mean you dont have to work incredibly hard, which I believe you can only do if its something you are so interested in, you want to make your living out of it-or try to anyway.

So no, I wouldn't recommend a degree. And as for your A-levels....sounds like you aren't enjoying them, so look at other options (maybe other subjects, or as you say, diplomas in something else) that you actually enjoy, and do that instead. Life may not be that short, but better to not waste two years in hell when you can be doing something you actually are passionate about
Reply 8
What do you mean?

Original post by ian765434
whats your motivation for going to uni?
Reply 9
Thank you so much for all the replies. I appreciate it so much. They say A2 will be a lot worse than AS and I'm already struggling in AS. I guess A levels are not for everyone especially if you don't have the interest to study A Levels at all.
Original post by Nicoledanie
What do you mean?

Well you say it would be nice to have a degree and uni would be fun but that's not the strongest set of reasons to do a degree. It's also much more work a LOT of self study with a £50k price tag. Given that you're finding A'levels a struggle and a degree is pretty much more of the same you could find yourself in a similar position on a degree course but with the added burden of student debt.

Quick Reply

Latest