Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Chances of getting into US University? Say Harvard, MIT, Stanford? Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi- I am thinking of applying to aforementioned universities as an international from UK and was wondering if I have a shot.Admission rates for internationals usually around 2%

IGCSEs: 8 A* 2A
    IB Predicted 40
    ACT Composite 34 (Reading 32 English 33 Maths 35 Science 35)
    SAT Math Level 2 : 720
    SAT Physics : 700

Extracurricular-
    • Coded computer game in python
    • Released app on App Store iOS
    • Coded HTML Site
    • Coded computer game in java
    • Been to 2 Coding summer courses
    • Silver and Gold in UK Maths Junior Challenge
    • Silver x3 in UK Maths Senior Challenge
    • Earned £1000+ through bitcoin mining
    • Built my own computer
    • Completed google digital marketing course (100% in exam)
    • Captain of B team football for 3yrs
    • Completed over 50hrs volunteering with mentally challenged adults
    • Played piano for 6 yrs (Grade 3)
    • Played drums for 2yrs (did not do grades)
    • Started a small business

Work Experience:
    • Worked for national company on recruitment task in a course, led digital marketing team
    • Worked in a business on finance, marketing tasks.
    • Worked in a business and learned about investment opportunities
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    It's impossible to say for any candidate. Unlike UK universities where often at e.g. Oxbridge you can give some indication based on academic profile, the elite US institutions are notoriously fickle in their choices, and academics alone are not enough - and in some cases (such as sports scholars) can be overlooked if they please. Also your extracurriculars, while numerous, probably won't stand out compared to that of many of their applicants. The most notable ones would be the Maths Challenges realistically - many of the others are sort of incidental.

By all means apply, but I would strongly recommend applying through UCAS in the UK as well, as even if you did receive an acceptance, you wouldn't necessarily receive the funding required to study there. While many of those provide generous aid packages, these are primarily for domestic students and it's really up to them what they offer international students. Outside of Harvard, most don't have the resources to give major aid to international students - MIT doesn't even have the resources to provide significant aid to domestic students.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    It's impossible to say for any candidate. Unlike UK universities where often at e.g. Oxbridge you can give some indication based on academic profile, the elite US institutions are notoriously fickle in their choices, and academics alone are not enough - and in some cases (such as sports scholars) can be overlooked if they please. Also your extracurriculars, while numerous, probably won't stand out compared to that of many of their applicants. The most notable ones would be the Maths Challenges realistically - many of the others are sort of incidental.

By all means apply, but I would strongly recommend applying through UCAS in the UK as well, as even if you did receive an acceptance, you wouldn't necessarily receive the funding required to study there. While many of those provide generous aid packages, these are primarily for domestic students and it's really up to them what they offer international students. Outside of Harvard, most don't have the resources to give major aid to international students - MIT doesn't even have the resources to provide significant aid to domestic students.
    Yes, I will be applying to oxbridge as well. However I’m lucky enough to not require the aid (as expensive as they are). Do you think not requiring aid, as well as early action and good essays will be enough to have a decent shot? Our school is fairly successful with US Applicants with almost half of our US candidates going to ivy/elite schools.
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan1905)
    Yes, I will be applying to oxbridge as well. However I’m lucky enough to not require the aid (as expensive as they are). Do you think not requiring aid, as well as early action and good essays will be enough to have a decent shot? Our school is fairly successful with US Applicants with almost half of our US candidates going to ivy/elite schools.
    wouldn't make a difference for a need-blind school but would probably give you better odds at a need-aware school.

that's all well and good with your school but do realise that top US universities try to limit the number of incoming students from any one school

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Princepieman)
    wouldn't make a difference for a need-blind school but would probably give you better odds at a need-aware school.

that's all well and good with your school but do realise that top US universities try to limit the number of incoming students from any one school
    Good point. I believe Stanford is need aware and at the moment that is my first choice. As far as I know there aren’t as many people going for US from our school so hopefully not as many going for the same unis as me lol

ReputationRep:
    As a Stanford student, I say you definitely have a good chance! It's impossible to predict as you don't know what the schools are looking for during a particular year, however, I believe that if it is the best school for you then it'll all work out. Subscribe to my channel for more tips, it's called 'success with jess'.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rohan1905)
    Hi- I am thinking of applying to aforementioned universities as an international from UK and was wondering if I have a shot.Admission rates for internationals usually around 2%

IGCSEs: 8 A* 2A
    IB Predicted 40
    ACT Composite 34 (Reading 32 English 33 Maths 35 Science 35)
    SAT Math Level 2 : 720
    SAT Physics : 700

Extracurricular-
    • Coded computer game in python
    • Released app on App Store iOS
    • Coded HTML Site
    • Coded computer game in java
    • Been to 2 Coding summer courses
    • Silver and Gold in UK Maths Junior Challenge
    • Silver x3 in UK Maths Senior Challenge
    • Earned £1000+ through bitcoin mining
    • Built my own computer
    • Completed google digital marketing course (100% in exam)
    • Captain of B team football for 3yrs
    • Completed over 50hrs volunteering with mentally challenged adults
    • Played piano for 6 yrs (Grade 3)
    • Played drums for 2yrs (did not do grades)
    • Started a small business

Work Experience:
    • Worked for national company on recruitment task in a course, led digital marketing team
    • Worked in a business on finance, marketing tasks.
    • Worked in a business and learned about investment opportunities
    You have an impressive set of extracurriculars and a very good ACT score (Stanford's average is 33), great grades and your work experience will definitely work in your favour. Pay a lot of attention to your essays, which are also terribly important.

The only relatively weak part of your application is your SATII results, they are good but compared to Stanford/Harvard you ideally want to get over 750. Therefore I'd say that if you have the chance to retake them, that would be good. Also, if you have a clear first choice university, apply Early Action, which can raise your chances of getting in. I wish you the very best of luck!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)

US unis love diverse extracurriculars. Secondly, MIT is NEED_BLIND for ALL applicants. It means they can afford to pay for everyone to come. It means no one will ever refect MIT because it is too expensive.

http://mitadmissions.org/afford/basics

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.