Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    When I started uni I hated it...I dont like change in my life. I finally started liking uni in year 2 and settled in. However I failed an exam and I cant go to third year nw. Worst thing is I had a placement but because I failed my exam I no longer have a placement. My degree will be useless withought a placement. I dont know if I should go back as I feel like I will be jobless without the placement after I graduate. I hate to retake a year and I hate change in my life. I always had it hard way when it comes to education and now I feel like Im having it harder. I dont want to ever go back to uni as I feel sad and depressed. Whenever I have to revise...I end up with migraines and cant deal with the amount of revision. When I put effort in I fail or scrape a pass...theres others who put less effort and get good grades.I dont know if I should stick at this anymore or just quit uni altogether.
    • Very Important Poster

(Original post by Petiana)
    When I started uni I hated it...I dont like change in my life. I finally started liking uni in year 2 and settled in. However I failed an exam and I cant go to third year nw. Worst thing is I had a placement but because I failed my exam I no longer have a placement. My degree will be useless withought a placement. I dont know if I should go back as I feel like I will be jobless without the placement after I graduate. I hate to retake a year and I hate change in my life. I always had it hard way when it comes to education and now I feel like Im having it harder. I dont want to ever go back to uni as I feel sad and depressed. Whenever I have to revise...I end up with migraines and cant deal with the amount of revision. When I put effort in I fail or scrape a pass...theres others who put less effort and get good grades.I dont know if I should stick at this anymore or just quit uni altogether.
    1. Go and see your GP about your depression. It can be difficult and I can see why you are disappointed, but you can recover from one failed module.

2. Have you seen your tutor or talked to a student advisor about the placement situation? No idea what degree you are doing but not being allowed to proceed over one subject is severe. Normally the resit would be done over the summer.

3. If they are making you do the year again, then there should be no reason you cant do the placement the following year.?

4. Placements are useful but they arent as important as your overall grade. If you still have the potential to get a good degree grade , then stick it out.

5. If your chance of a good grade has gone, then contact your tutor and explore any options you have. Make sure you get some objective advice from someone who understands the rules. Often in degree grading its possible not to have to include the score of your worst module, its also the case weighting is towards the third year. So its not all lost.

6. See how you feel when youve had some advice and then you can make your mind up whether to continue or quit. If I had a chance of still getting a reasonable degree I would get some help with the depression, do the retake and then do a placement the following year, then finish. I dont feel you are in a great decision to make that call and would benefit from seeing careers, student advisor or tutor, so they can be objective and make sure your disappointment isnt making things seem worse than they are.

7. Normally my instinct would be to fight and do myself justice by acing an exam, but recognise when I had given up. Please talk to the people I suggested and then its up to you how to proceed. I forgot to mention your welfare team at the uni, talk to them as well. The depression may make it look like a more difficult situation than it is.

I know this can be hard for you. When you are willing and desiring to do something, but suddenly disappointment come to your life and it seems that it ruins your life completely. Thus, my suggestions are 1) never give up, do not think that not able to get a placement is the end of everything. Always believe that there must be something behind this as everything happens for the reason; 2) consult with your tutor, tell everything what you feel to your tutor as an advisor, he/she might there for you and will give you a way out from your problems; 3) I think instead of placement, you also can try other things which beneficial for you which enhance your employability, such as do volunteering program or do a part time job. Do a small thing now will lead to a big thing in your life later in the future ahead.
    • Official TSR Representative

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Petiana)
    Hey!

You've been given some really good advice above - I would definitely seek support and find out how your university as well as your doctor can help you with your mood and emotions as well as your resit and your options for getting a placement after you've retaken your module or our year. You won't be the only person ever this has happened to - they should be able to help you get back on track and still get the placement and degree you wanted!!

I'm sure that this set back hasn't ruined your chances of getting a placement or a great degree, you can definitely keep going and get better. But if you feel like uni wasn't the right choice, there are also lots of other options, like internships and apprenticeships or jobs, which will be available to you.

Don't give up on your goals over this though - you can do it!

Hope this helped at all

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.