Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Are muslims being bullied on this website? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by I_R_FURRY!)
    Shariah has no place in our society and the thought of it terrifies me as I would be killed on the first day for being homosexual. There will be some muslims who support this backwards law system but there are many many more muslims who don't support it.
    As true as that is, we are talking about this website. A combination of youth + naivety + a religion that can breed extremism is never going to be a 100% successful combination. Not to mention the added bonus of being able to hide behind a computer screen (which arguably makes us all guilty of being keyboard warriors).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by butfirst_coffee)
    People try to pick faults at Islam solely because of their hate towards ISIS. They let a a group of nuisances who hijacked Islam for their own gains influence them. Most of the time they don't directly admit it because it's just downright stupid and they know they're going to look like idiots

There are other religions that are against homosexuality. The other Abrahamic faiths. But only Islam relieves all the hate and backlash. Would you guess why
    This simply isn't true. I and many others criticise Islam solely because of the hatred and violence that the Quran and sunnah contain.

ReputationRep:
    Shariah has no place in our society and the thought of it terrifies me as I would be killed on the first day for being homosexual. There will be some muslims who support this backwards law system but there are many many more muslims who don't support it.
    Most muslims who support homosexuality are themselves homosexual or someone close to them is. I know some muslims who support shariah law, it doesn't bother them until it happens to them.

ReputationRep:
    It's just pointless really. People are not going to change their beliefs because of criticism.
    That's not really the point of criticism tbh. If it were, I don't think anyone on here would bother

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I only just joined today but I browsed the forum for a while without an account and noticed a lot of threads hating on Islam and muslims and it seems like there is a general bullying vibe on this website against muslims because of the religion.

I just want to say as a muslim I know our religion has some immoral things in it and its not perfect like some muslims claim but I see a fair amount of hassle being directed towards muslims as people and being given an unnecessarily hard time.

I get how you feel about the religion trust me on that but I am a gay muslim and would hate to be bullied for being gay so I dont think people should bully muslims for being muslim.

Just leave them alone imagine if it was you and your faith / something you care a lot about, you would not like it.

Just be nice to each other xX
    There is no bullying on this site, rather certain people that constantly love to make Muslim threads which questions very controversial topics in order to express their opinion, hopefully to influence those who have little knowledge upon Islam, to hate it or support their negative view upon it.

Honestly its such a piss take when Muslims have to constantly reply to these threads "Muhammad raped a 12 yr old girl and had bestiality with a donkey. Islam is fake??" and often these threads or arguments that are posed have no real QURAN EVIDENCE/ VERSES to support whatever argument there doing. (Of course you can quote things such as beheading in Arabia as it doesn't need quranic verses lol but you get me right?)

Even so, in today's society there will be criticism on Islam that we will just have to fight for to justify our ideas. Criticism is not bullying, but constant criticism and getting nowhere just annoys me. I often cba replying to any Muslim threads that question Islam because I have no real motivation to justify my argument to a person who is (often too stubborn) to change their views or at least accept valid argument.

The bullying is only due to the sudden uproar in media coverage and terrorism attacks. If you live in the UK, you probably had a Muslim in your class, A Muslim doctor etc. and they are generally fine. A lot of Muslims in my school (although extremely few-like theirs only 4 of us in our year xD) are so nice and not as rough as the ones say from Rochdale (not generalising guys, but honestly Bradford and

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Samendra)
    Most muslims who support homosexuality are themselves homosexual or someone close to them is. I know some muslims who support shariah law, it doesn't bother them until it happens to them.
    :rofl:

ReputationRep:
    There are so many Muslims who admit online that they are gay.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    That's not really the point of criticism tbh. If it were, I don't think anyone on here would bother
    People are just nosy then I assume

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    Actually I think this is the entire point of criticising a religion or a political belief right? By criticising it your goal is to prevent people from aligning to that political view or subscribing to a particular religion.

Why else would people post threads calling muslims horrible names and insulting their faith? I agree that muslims who claim the religion is perfect should be called out because islam is not perfect, no faith or political system at all is perfect but I think because religion is so important to so many people it should be handled in a delicate manner.

If I ever tell my family I'm gay I'm not going to insult them and call them backwards and stuff I'm going to try and present my argument in a way which educates them about homosexuality but without making them feel stupid.

Some of the muslim threads here are nicely worded and the approach is polite but some are just going to make the muslim reader angry because you are generalising or saying things which are not true or skewed.

I made a thread about coming out as gay and I didn't get any hate from what I saw, then again I don't know if any muslims actually replied to it.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by _gcx)
    :rofl:,
    just from the people I know, maybe/probably is different to the general public

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by slade p)
    There are so many Muslims who admit online that they are gay.
    Its far easier to speak about things online because of the anonymity, coming out in real life is a very different story and incredibly scary.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I am pretty surprised at the number of TSR members (I won't mention specific members) who seem to have devoted their lives to fighting Islam on TSR...
    I don't think debate itself is bad, it is, however, when on these threads, debate spirals into hate. That is not the sort of atmosphere we want on this website.

ReputationRep:
    Hey!

I only just joined today but I browsed the forum for a while without an account and noticed a lot of threads hating on Islam and muslims and it seems like there is a general bullying vibe on this website against muslims because of the religion.

I just want to say as a muslim I know our religion has some immoral things in it and its not perfect like some muslims claim but I see a fair amount of hassle being directed towards muslims as people and being given an unnecessarily hard time.

I get how you feel about the religion trust me on that but I am a gay muslim and would hate to be bullied for being gay so I dont think people should bully muslims for being muslim.

Just leave them alone imagine if it was you and your faith / something you care a lot about, you would not like it.

Just be nice to each other xX
    Yes. There are a lot of Zionist puppets patrolling this website.

Would White people be allowed to set up in their millions in the country that you come from?

ReputationRep:
    I don't proscribe to killing people or homosexuals or apostates and I support women's rights etc but I am a muslim and when people say things about muslims being violent or sexist or hateful I take offense to that because I am not this kind of person.

Directing insults about a faith to someone personal is a form of bullying I think. Imagine you believe in a faith and someone is in your face telling you how bad and horrible your faith is and going on and on about it everyday and directing insults towards you because you follow that religion. This sounds like bullying to me.

I support critisism of religion but directing that criticism towards a person is not ok.
    Why is criticism towards a person for their religion not ok? Religion is a free-willed choice. I will criticise anyone who follows a strict reading of the Quran, just as I will criticise anyone who practices Scientology. Both are ridiculous in their own right.

I don't want to cause offense, but what you are doing with Islam is cherry-picking. Women's rights, homosexuality and apostasy are all incompatible in Islam. If you support those ideas then you are probably a "bad Muslim" in the eyes of others. This explains why you are afraid of coming out. Unfortunately, too many Muslims still follow a strict interpretation of Islam which has no place in western society. This is why criticism is needed, both towards the faith and the people who choose to follow it. Islam needs to modernise and change.

ReputationRep:
    People are just nosy then I assume
    No, people are not nosy. People in society criticise things that they see as unjust, contradictory, or just plain abhorrent as it harms our society. We are a community and as a community we have a duty and a right to expose, criticise, and mock ideas, arguments, religions, and political policy etc, to not only protect each other, but to learn and seek truth for ourselves.

If no one scrutinised or crticised Hitler's ideological or political leanings, then WWII would have ended much differently. In the 18th and 19th centuries, if no one criticised and analysed religion then we would not have had the "enlightenment" period which advanced the scientific method into what we know it as today and has led to some of the most significant human discoveries that have completely changed our understanding of how the world works.

So forgive me for wanting to uphold my right to criticise, analyse, mock, and insult. The freedom to disagree and critcise is one of the reasons why we have advanced so far as a civilisation and is the reason why countries that have restricted speech laws are behind us. It is one of the true freedoms that humans have and we should not let it go so easily.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Whilst debate is good and should be encouraged. It's clear that a select few (mostly hang around in N&CA, thank god) do have an issue with Islam to the point of bullying other members. However, I wouldn't say this is widespread tbh, and anything out of line gets dealt with. Debate is healthy, as is criticism of an ideology to gain better understanding or what have you. Consistent and targeted abuse isn't, and it won't stay up on TSR.

I, for one, am so beyond bored of the constant threads regarding Islam I keep seeing on this site. It's so unbelievably boring now and I do pity those that seem obsessed by it. Every religion has its faults, every sect has their own problems, nobody is exempt - but it's clear there is a negative focus towards Muslims here, and it's unfortunate (and it's so boring too).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Paracosm)
    Whilst debate is good and should be encouraged. It's clear that a select few (mostly hang around in N&CA, thank god) that do have an issue with Islam to the point of bullying other members. However, I wouldn't say this is widespread tbh, and anything out of line gets dealt with. Debate is healthy, as is criticism of an ideology to gain better understanding or what have you. Consistent and targeted abuse isn't, and it won't stay up on TSR.

I, for one, am so beyond bored of the constant threads regarding Islam I keep seeing on this site. It's so unbelievably boring now and I do pity those that seem obsessed by it. Every religion has its faults, every sect has their own problems, nobody is exempt - but it's clear there is a negative focus towards Muslims here, and it's unfortunate (and it's so boring too).
    So because everyone is bad as one another we shouldn't discuss it? Reformers of Islam who are trying to bring their religion into the 21st Century are not bored by it and they are aware of the negative attention and criticism their religion gets, hence their efforts, despite incredible black lash from their communities.

It's fine if you are bored by it, but others do wish to discuss issues within Islam in way that doesn't attack any one person directly. Strange, we never heard this sentiment from anyone in the run up to the American election when there were constant threads, articles, and pages criticising Donald Trump (where were the TSR mods then when an individual was actually being attacked?). I don't believe I saw a post saying how unfortunate it was for poor Donald to receive all this negative attention. For the same reason people criticised Donald Trump's behaviour, attitudes, and policies, people criticise Islam.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Whilst debate is good and should be encouraged. It's clear that a select few (mostly hang around in N&CA, thank god) do have an issue with Islam to the point of bullying other members. However, I wouldn't say this is widespread tbh, and anything out of line gets dealt with. Debate is healthy, as is criticism of an ideology to gain better understanding or what have you. Consistent and targeted abuse isn't, and it won't stay up on TSR.

Thank you ! Everything you said is on Point. It seems as if afew users are using 'criticism' and debate as an excuse to just be plain horrible. If homosexuality is a way of life so is following a religion.

Islam critisisng homosexuality is not okay but for you to criticise Islam, it is?
    • TSR Support Team
    • Peer Support Volunteers
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Whilst debate is good and should be encouraged. […] Debate is healthy, as is criticism of an ideology to gain better understanding or what have you. Consistent and targeted abuse isn't, and it won't stay up on TSR.
    (Original post by Cubone-r)
    So because everyone is bad as one another we shouldn't discuss it? Reformers of Islam who are trying to bring their religion into the 21st Century are not bored by it and they are aware of the negative attention and criticism their religion gets, hence their efforts, despite incredible black lash from their communities.

It's fine if you are bored by it, but others do wish to discuss issues within Islam in way that doesn't attack any one person directly. Strange, we never heard this sentiment from anyone in the run up to the American election when there were constant threads, articles, and pages criticising Donald Trump (where were the TSR mods then when an individual was actually being attacked?). I don't believe I saw a post saying how unfortunate it was for poor Donald to receive all this negative attention. For the same reason people criticised Donald Trump's behaviour, attitudes, and policies, people criticise Islam.
    Please re-read my post, thanks!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by JMR2017)
    I am pretty surprised at the number of TSR members (I won't mention specific members) who seem to have devoted their lives to fighting Islam on TSR...
    I don't think debate itself is bad, it is, however, when on these threads, debate spirals into hate. That is not the sort of atmosphere we want on this website.
    Takes two to tango

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.