Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Can I change university after foundation year Watch

University Navigation

ReputationRep:
    I want to get to change my university after I Finnish foundation so can I go to imperial university London or UCL after finishing foundation at Durham and keep in mind im planning to be at the top of my class with grades
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    In theory yes, but you would need to check to make sure they will accept the foundation as suitable preparation for their programmes - and then you would need to apply as any other student through UCAS and there is no guarantee you would be accepted.

However most top tier universities only accept applications from individuals who have withdrawn from their course fully before applying elsewhere - you couldn't apply while you were still on the foundation year, you would have to complete the foundation, withdraw, then apply in the subsequent year. This is due to an unspoken agreement amongst them to not try to poach the others' best students.

If you're already at Durham I would honestly recommend just staying with that, as it's an excellent university on par with those. You can always do a masters/PhD at IC/UCL afterwards.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by artful_lounger)
    In theory yes, but you would need to check to make sure they will accept the foundation as suitable preparation for their programmes - and then you would need to apply as any other student through UCAS and there is no guarantee you would be accepted.

However most top tier universities only accept applications from individuals who have withdrawn from their course fully before applying elsewhere - you couldn't apply while you were still on the foundation year, you would have to complete the foundation, withdraw, then apply in the subsequent year. This is due to an unspoken agreement amongst them to not try to poach the others' best students.

If you're already at Durham I would honestly recommend just staying with that, as it's an excellent university on par with those. You can always do a masters/PhD at IC/UCL afterwards.
    I know it's a great university but the life in London is so much better that's why I want to switch and after I graduate I want to get a phd in either Cambridge or oxford or maybe Harvard. Thanks for the reply any way
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Ibrahim99)
    I know it's a great university but the life in London is so much better that's why I want to switch and after I graduate I want to get a phd in either Cambridge or oxford or maybe Harvard. Thanks for the reply any way
    That's a really bad reason to jeopardise your current university place for.

ReputationRep:
    That's a really bad reason to jeopardise your current university place for.
    I'm going to start this year it will be my first and I won't drop out of the college until I get an offer or something from imperial or UCL so I'm not in any harm and to be host I think they accept a lot of international student because or yearly tuition is 40000 pounds
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I'm going to start this year it will be my first and I won't drop out of the college until I get an offer or something from imperial or UCL so I'm not in any harm and to be host I think they accept a lot of international student because or yearly tuition is 40000 pounds
    They don't, in general (that is to say, without exceptional extenuating circumstances usually), accept applications from students "currently at other institutions" - this means you would need to complete the foundation year, leave the university entirely, then apply in the year after you undertook your foundation year.

ReputationRep:
    They don't, in general (that is to say, without exceptional extenuating circumstances usually), accept applications from students "currently at other institutions" - this means you would need to complete the foundation year, leave the university entirely, then apply in the year after you undertook your foundation year.
    I guess I need to think about it more 🤔 Don't want throw away a full year for gambling ticket
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I guess I need to think about it more 🤔 Don't want throw away a full year for gambling ticket
    Is there any major reason to not pursue the full course at Durham...?

ReputationRep:
    Is there any major reason to not pursue the full course at Durham...?
    I want to go to imperial because first it is ranked 2 at top university for computer science and the life in land are so much better you won't get bored
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I want to go to imperial because first it is ranked 2 at top university for computer science and the life in land are so much better you won't get bored
    Durham is of comparable reputation overall to IC and UCL, and is more than suitable to pursue an undergraduate course in the subject and have excellent employment and postgraduate opportunities afterwards.

While there are many external attractions in London, the student societies at Durham take a great deal of time arranging more than enough social events to keep you entertained, and you will be very busy with your courseload in any case if your aspirations are IC/Oxbridge/Harvard for a PhD.

ReputationRep:
    Durham is of comparable reputation overall to IC and UCL, and is more than suitable to pursue an undergraduate course in the subject and have excellent employment and postgraduate opportunities afterwards.

While there are many external attractions in London, the student societies at Durham take a great deal of time arranging more than enough social events to keep you entertained, and you will be very busy with your courseload in any case if your aspirations are IC/Oxbridge/Harvard for a PhD.
    Well thanks for your reply you actually helped me a lot 😃

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.