The Student Room Group

Being paid below minimum wagw

Im 16 and my work is paying me £4 an hour. Since April 2017 the national minimum wage for under 18s has been £4.05, should I tell my employer?
How many hours do you do? And depending which company you are working for since you are under 18 it's likely to be that your workers are probably going to say it's only 5p difference. But don't worry about it once you are 18 you will get paid more but search for other jobs you can do to get extra money
You should certainly mention it to them.

Posted from TSR Mobile
Reply 3
Absolutely mention it to them. If they are unaware of this what else may they be unaware of (or intentionally ignoring).
Original post by Ezisola
Absolutely mention it to them. If they are unaware of this what else may they be unaware of (or intentionally ignoring).

I agree
Original post by alexandrahanson
How many hours do you do? And depending which company you are working for since you are under 18 it's likely to be that your workers are probably going to say it's only 5p difference. But don't worry about it once you are 18 you will get paid more but search for other jobs you can do to get extra money

It may "only be 5p" but the law says you have to pay at least £4.05.

OP - I'd raise with them.
yh by law it is but the company might cheat you that's why I said it and if you work at the till of the money is short they take it away from your own salary
I think you should, it is illegal to pay below the minimum wage and if they know you are aware, they should change this.
Like everyone else said tell them because those 5ps you have been missing out could potentially make a difference to your money.
Reply 9
When you're earning £4 an hour, 5p extra actually makes a difference so id bring it up. I think £4 an hour is unfair tbh

Quick Reply