The Student Room Group

Calculators allowed for Maths and Physics HL?

Hi guys,

I would like to know if we can use calculators for Maths and Physics HL all the papers.
I'm actually new to the IB syllabus 😅.
And I'm not very good at math stuff without calculators. Please help ! Thanks
Original post by Hanna423
Hi guys,

I would like to know if we can use calculators for Maths and Physics HL all the papers.
I'm actually new to the IB syllabus 😅.
And I'm not very good at math stuff without calculators. Please help ! Thanks

Apparently not for paper 1 but yes for paper 2.

IB 1.PNG

Attachment not found

Theres more guidance on p9 and 10 here. Check wit your tutors. They have a lost of approved calculators.

http://www3.dpcdsb.org/STFXS/Documents/2017_The_conduct_of_IB_Diploma_Programme_examinati.pdf
Yes to add on to what the previous person has stated, for papers 1 in both physics and math, you cannot use a calculator. For physics, paper 1 is multiple choice so the math is simple and you do not need a calculator to do it which is why it is not allowed. For math, paper 1 is designed to touch on all (or most of) the topics in math that does not need a calculator (learning how to do derivatives without calc, sketching graphs, finding intercepts, etc...) I would not be too worried about this.
Reply 3
To elaborate, you need a graphic calculator for paper 2 in maths, not just any calculator (which I find utterly ridiculous, but there you go)

Quick Reply

Latest