Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Girlfriend is meeting the family - Advice?? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Been dating my girlfriend for over a year now and taking her and my nan out for dinner. I'm not usually great at things to say, so how can I keep the conversation flowing?

(Original post by OddFish)
    Been dating my girlfriend for over a year now and taking her and my nan out for dinner. I'm not usually great at things to say, so how can I keep the conversation flowing?
    Honestly, I'm having trouble even telling my parents about my girlfriend...
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:

Id suggest just talk as you normally would. Let your nan and girlfriend get to know eachother. Conversation will flow then.

(Original post by Anonymous)
    Honestly, I'm having trouble even telling my parents about my girlfriend...
    How come?

(Original post by Jack22031994)
    How come?
    The culture difference. I'm turkish and she is English. My spent want me to be with a turkish person. I've met her parents and they love me. It'd just my parents that are being the barrier.. It just scares me to tell them
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Anonymous)
    The culture difference. I'm turkish and she is English. My spent want me to be with a turkish person. I've met her parents and they love me. It'd just my parents that are being the barrier.. It just scares me to tell them
    Okay that sucks Not sure what advice I can offer really apart from if you love eachother and she makes you happy, your parents should accept her.

I know it must be hard though

(Original post by Jack22031994)
    Okay that sucks Not sure what advice I can offer really apart from if you love eachother and she makes you happy, your parents should accept her.

I know it must be hard though
    We do love each other so much, like we are constantly wanting to see each other. Atm I can only see her on Sundays and sometimes during the week a day or two. It's stressing us both out. I told her that I would tell them soon but it's just very difficult. And my family is stubborn and very judgemental

ReputationRep:
    Old people have a lot of conversational experience, needless to say. Remember that, because she'd your nan, she's been through this before with your mum/dad and aunts and uncles and the gfs/bfs they've had.

I wouldn't worry...it'll just naturally flow when you don't force anything.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by harrythomas14)
    Old people have a lot of conversational experience, needless to say. Remember that, because she'd your nan, she's been through this before with your mum/dad and aunts and uncles and the gfs/bfs they've had.

I wouldn't worry...it'll just naturally flow when you don't force anything.
    Nice to see a genuine response haha

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Lucarious30)
    Nice to see a genuine response haha
    Always here to help, brother.

Submit reply
TSR Support Team

We have a brilliant team of more than 60 Support Team members looking after discussions on The Student Room, helping to make it a fun, safe and useful place to hang out.

Updated: July 26, 2017
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Break up or unrequited love?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.