Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Not sure which way to go is best Watch

ReputationRep:
    Hi Guys,

So I'm kind of in a dilemma and not sure which will help me progress better.

So I'm currently doing my GDL and eventually onto my LPC & LLM.

So the question comes to work experience. I'm currently a court clerk for HMCTS (just want to be clear this isn't an legal advisors position like I've been asked so many times before), but I've recently been offered a job working for a small firm as a PA to the head of a department.

So I was wondering which way would be best for me to get a training contract/Vacation spots as work experience? Stay on with the Court or move onto the firm.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    I don't think there really is a right or wrong answer here.

The PA role will probably give you a better chance with that specific firm, but outside of that it's hard to be clear which one would be better on the CV.

The new role could give you a better understanding of the type of work you could do within a firm, but really depends on the nature of the work you do.

What does your instinct say to go with?

ReputationRep:
    See my instincts tell me to stay with the court. Primarily because I see advocates on a daily basis in the field I want to work in (family law). As well as Social workers, CAFCAS, Judges (District, Circuit and High) So was thinking that it would be better to stay with the court as I get a ton more trial experience just by sitting their and listening but could I count that towards experience or not?

However that being said, working for a firm you get to see it from the actual point of view which i would class as more important. The firm itself doesn't offer a TP so that's what's making me think, "is it worth it?"

ReputationRep:
    Personally I'd say the court. The PA role might get you on to a career track that you would really rather not be on. I would also point out that the legal secretarial role is changing wildly and more and more is being asked of those in that role. What was once a 1:1 role is now often 8 fee earners to 1 secretary. It's hard and thankless, and there's little room for progression. I wouldn't want to do it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.