Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

What's the worst book you've ever read? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Twightlight... Especially the movie.

ReputationRep:
    Shame by Salman Rushdie. Never finished it. After reading Midnight's Children which is wonderful, I expected better.

ReputationRep:
    Life After Life - Kate Atkinson

Managed 4 chapters before I realised my mistake.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Reporter Team
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    I don't recall ever getting substantially far in a book without enjoying it. Even though there are books I now judge as being poor in quality (such as the Twilight saga) I enjoyed them at the time so that doesn't count. The only exception would be Lord of the Rings I suppose. Tolken's writing can be quite verbose and I found it tedious to read.

ReputationRep:
    Looking for Alaska by John Green- I've given this book so many chances but all it has done is trigger pain receptors in my brain It's awful and the worst part is everyone I know who's read it professes it to be amazing

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by bones-mccoy)
    The Fault in Our Stars and Paper Towns both by John Green. Pointless drivel for the self-obsessed teenager.
    Agreed.

Although it wasn't completely terrible, it was just so pretentious
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    A German drama called Rose Bernd and written by Hauptmann.

My expectations were small, but I had difficulties to like it nonetheless.
    • TSR Support Team
    • Very Important Poster
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quid si)
    Looking for Alaska by John Green- I've given this book so many chances but all it has done is trigger pain receptors in my brain It's awful and the worst part is everyone I know who's read it professes it to be amazing
    What do you think of his other books? :holmes:

ReputationRep:
    "Shatter me" by Tahereh Mafi
    Trashiest book ever

ReputationRep:
    19 Minutes by Jodi Picoult

What should have been a compelling novel about the events leading to, around and the aftermath of a school shooting just ended up with insufferable characters and daft premises; apparently a judge who knows the accused, knew the victims, whos daughter went to the school and was friends with the shooter and in a relationship with one of the victims has to recuse herself because she may be asked to act as a judge for the trial, no bloody way.

ReputationRep:
    biff, chip and KIPPER
    • TSR Support Team

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by teenhorrorstory)
    Catcher in the rye
    Yes. After all the hype it gets I just thought wtf.

ReputationRep:
    Hmm, I haven't read many books I would consider unenjoyable because I always make sure to do extensive research on any book before I even think about picking it up

But the worst I've ever read would probably have to be The Testament of Gideon Mack, the book I was required to read for my National 5 English course. Long, boring, with religious themes (atheist right here) and a LOT of uncomfortable sections for the average 14/15-year-old My dislike for the novel in general probably wasn't helped by the fact that we had to analyse near every single word in those 389 pages of torture.

ReputationRep:
    Willow by Julia Hoban
    Terribly written, glorifying and dismissing mental illness and self harm.

(Original post by slowdive)
    50 shades of Grey. Can't believe my mum recommended my 14 year old self to read that.
    What if she was just trying, in her way, to tell you that sex is OK and that it's alright for you to seek pleasure?

Seriously though, I agree with you (about the awfulness of the book). I was going to say that myself; I read all three in a couple of days following graduation, and it was utter shite. No plot, bad grammar, bad wording, bad everything.
    • Community Assistant

ReputationRep:
    Blood Red Road by Moira Young, that was a few years ago but I remember reading a few chapters for the school book club, we all agreed that we weren't very keen on the dialouge set up / presentation.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quid si)
    Ahh see, Looking for Alaska is up with my favourite books of all time. I love the unique characters and the story seemed to flow well and then sort of crash and slow down like the protagonist's world after the events (trying not to give spoilers).

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.