Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I am really torn between the two courses, so much so I'm thinking of doing Natural Sciences (Bio and Chem). I want to eventually go into researching diseases and how they can be stopped or treated, possibly go into the drug development side of things, but I don't know which course is best for this! I've heard that with biomed, most people end up working in the NHS, and with biochem sometimes people are refused roles in disease research.
    Advice really appreciated!!

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rangzii)
    I am really torn between the two courses, so much so I'm thinking of doing Natural Sciences (Bio and Chem). I want to eventually go into researching diseases and how they can be stopped or treated, possibly go into the drug development side of things, but I don't know which course is best for this! I've heard that with biomed, most people end up working in the NHS, and with biochem sometimes people are refused roles in disease research.
    Advice really appreciated!!
    I am probably biased (I have a Biochemistry degree) but for drug development, I would suggest Biochemistry, which covers a fair amount of biomedical science anyway, and will give you some knowledge of the basic chemistry underlying most drugs.

However, neither would rule out working later in disease research OR working in the NHS. Clinical scientists in the NHS tend to have very good first degree classifications in a range of biosciences, and receive a lot of training while they work.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PeteM01)
    I am probably biased (I have a Biochemistry degree) but for drug development, I would suggest Biochemistry, which covers a fair amount of biomedical science anyway, and will give you some knowledge of the basic chemistry underlying most drugs.

However, neither would rule out working later in disease research OR working in the NHS. Clinical scientists in the NHS tend to have very good first degree classifications in a range of biosciences, and receive a lot of training while they work.
    Thanks for replying!
    I've been confused over this for a while because I've heard so many conflicting things. I prefer the chemistry side of things anyway and most degrees are flexible enought to allow me to study some biomedical units anyway (I think). I'm biased anyway lol

ReputationRep:
    If you want to do disease research, definitely do Biomedical - it's just more focussed. Research is big in the biomedical sciences. I know a lot of people want to work for the NHS, but the other half of Biomeds stick with academia.

ReputationRep:
    My question is though, why is not possible to do disease research with biochemistry?

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Rangzii)
    My question is though, why is not possible to do disease research with biochemistry?
    It's totally possible. Just check out some phds for requirements

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources

Quick Link:

Unanswered Life Sciences Threads

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.