The Student Room Group

is it normal to skip the 'dating phase' and jump into a relationship?

like I met this guy and we talk over the phone for hours every day and we learned everything about each other and then we met and we always see each other mostly in my apartment or his and we just sit and chill and make out and all that stuff and sometimes more... and at times we order dinner and just cuddle...

2 weeks later, we decided to be exclusive and enter a 'relationship', but we never really had a date, like going out to the cinema, or a restaurant and stuff...

how common is this ladies and gentlemen? :smile:
Pretty normal
Are you seriously going to let your relationship get played by some made up society rules

Just do what feels right.
Shag, marry, avoid?

Looks like you have already achieved 2 out of 3. Keep going, the finishing post is in sight !
Reply 4
Original post by AmeliaLost
Pretty normal

I mean we've never gone to restaurants and such or had a "date night" where you go somewhere nice to talk and stuff. We do this now but we're already in a relationship and it just feels so ordinary, doesn't feel like a date or anything.
Reply 5
Original post by Mystery.
Are you seriously going to let your relationship get played by some made up society rules

Just do what feels right.

Thank you :smile:
Reply 6
Original post by uberteknik
Shag, marry, avoid?

Looks like you have already achieved 2 out of 3. Keep going, the finishing post is in sight !

hahaha
Original post by Anonymous
I mean we've never gone to restaurants and such or had a "date night" where you go somewhere nice to talk and stuff. We do this now but we're already in a relationship and it just feels so ordinary, doesn't feel like a date or anything.

Yeah i get you. I've had a few relationships that were pretty similar. My current bf and I dated before going official, but he's an exception, all my others grew out of friendships (some pretty quickly some not so quickly)
Reply 8
Relationships progress differently. It was pretty similar with my partner. We go to the same uni although in different years, and we started talking. We would spend some time together during common breaks at uni but it would be with our other friends too, just hanging out all together. Not really a date thing.

We agreed to be exclusive either before or on the first day we hung out outside of uni and that was just going back to my place and doing same things as you've said.

We've only had like a proper date after about 3 months of dating. As in, going to a movie and getting some food together. Rather than going to my place and getting food after, usually ordering in. And our relationship is going perfectly fine so far.
Reply 9
Original post by Devify
Relationships progress differently. It was pretty similar with my partner. We go to the same uni although in different years, and we started talking. We would spend some time together during common breaks at uni but it would be with our other friends too, just hanging out all together. Not really a date thing.

We agreed to be exclusive either before or on the first day we hung out outside of uni and that was just going back to my place and doing same things as you've said.

We've only had like a proper date after about 3 months of dating. As in, going to a movie and getting some food together. Rather than going to my place and getting food after, usually ordering in. And our relationship is going perfectly fine so far.

thank you for this! and good luck with your relationship :biggrin:
Each to their own, and everyone's different but that's not for me.

A relationship where you're just lounging around the house gets boring pretty quickly to me. Unless you're happy to do that sort of thing! It's nice to go out on dates during a relationship, and not just the initial stage either, but throughout the relationship.
Original post by Twinpeaks

A relationship where you're just lounging around the house gets boring pretty quickly to me. Unless you're happy to do that sort of thing! It's nice to go out on dates during a relationship, and not just the initial stage either, but throughout the relationship.

We do not lol. But we didnt before going into a relationship.
Original post by Anonymous
We do not lol. But we didnt before going into a relationship.

I meant we do now**
Original post by Twinpeaks

This tbh

Also shows a lack of effort/thoughtfulness if you don't think about doing something nice with the other person every now and then

Quick Reply

Latest