The Student Room Group

Millennials cheating for the most millennial reason ever!

If you caught your partner cheating and their excuse was they were 'trying to figure out who they really are' , would you let them get away with it? :K::K:

A new study has claimed that 'Twenty-somethings cheat because we’re trying to figure out who we truly are", or as The Metro put it "it’s because our lives are in shambles, we’re figuring out who we are, and we want to feel like we’re being independent" :argh:

"The study, published this week in the Journal of Sex Research analysed 104 adults with an average age of 22, all who reported cheating within the last six months...

Basically, most of the twenty somethings researchers chatted to felt that they had unmet needs related to independence, feeling as though their relationship was holding them back from working out who they are and from attempting to be an adult out in the world for the first time...

‘Because emerging adulthood is thought to be a time of exploration and experimentation, it is possible that engaging in infidelity is a path through which individuals seek to meet their developmental needs for independence and interdependence and promote their individual development, said the study’s authors.

Or, in simpler terms, twenty somethings cheat because we have no idea what we’re doing on our own or in a relationship and we’re trying to figure things out".

Hmm.... 'figure things out' sounds like a bit of a :poo: reason, but then again is there ever a good one?

Do you agree with this report? Is cheating ever okay? Have you ever caught your partner cheating? let me know!

Scroll to see replies

Reply 1
Cheating is never ok. It's quite frankly a disgrace.

Commitment in relationships nowadays seems to be dead. People only seem to be interested in each other for sex. Once they got bored, they move on. What kind of living is that?

Eventually you have to settle down with a partner for the long term, not just for yourself, but for your children's sake, who I think deserve both a dad and a mum in their life.
Reply 2
What??? Just no. If you want to "figure things out " and think that your relationship is stopping you from doing that, then don't be in a relationship... Not go and cheat on your partner...
I mean, if you want to sleep around, that's fine but don't give someone the impression you're going to be faithful to them first. :lol:
Yeah it's a rubbish excuse. Just 'figure things out' for yourself before you find a partner lol :colonhash:
What a poor excuse for cheating.

Just because you're trying to figure yourself out doesn't mean that you should play on someone else's emotions like that :/
Twenty-something's (and anyone else) who cheat, do so because they are low life dick heads and narcissists who are arrogant enough to think they are entitled.
(edited 6 years ago)
Reply 7
Original post by uberteknik
Twenty-something's cheat because they are low life dick heads and narcissists who are arrogant enough to think they are entitled.

You're either going to be twenty-something one day, or already have been...
No - cheating is cheating. No excuses
Reply 9
That's fine but I would still break up with her.
Cheating's never okay nor justifiable, if you want to 'find who you are' or 'feel independent' then don't get in a relationship in the first place.

Same goes for if you're scared of commitment.
Cheating will never be ok. Saying you cheated because you were trying to find yourself is no excuse, it's still cheating and shouldn't be excused by anyone who's been cheated on.
Attachment not found
Shut the front door about Millennials already (not you in particular OP, but people in general).

All this bs about Millennials all the time, stop trying to lump 2 decades worth of people into one bucket or try to psychobabble about why that bucket is how it is.
If your relationship is holding you back and you need to 'figure things out' then really you shouldn't be in a relationship. we all understand wanting to find out more about who you are as a person but if you need to sleep around to do so you should do that as a singleton. to not do so is deceitful, wrong and hurtful. when you're done 'figuring things out' then you can have a relationship.

and i agree with @yudothis, why is everyone so obsessed with millennials and treat them so homogeneously?? also I'm quite sure lots of the people who call themselves 'millennial' are actually gen z ('millennial' was meant for people starting early adulthood in the new millennium), which reminds me of people born in like 1994-99 calling themselves '90s kids' when they can't even remember the 90s.
Lol, no chance. I'd start questioning myself for being with someone stupid enough to think that's fine
Cheating is an act of disloyalty that renders a woman unfit to bear my genetic heirs and as a poor emotional investment, i write them off. Sadly of course i was in my younger days less concerned with values myself and comitted a few acts of disloyalty.
Cheating is disrespectful end of. Not only to your partner, but to yourself - if you truly liked someone, why would you walk over them and betray them? Do you not hold yourself with enough esteem to control your feelings towards others?
No, Cheating is disgusting, If I found my partner cheating they are no longer my partner there is never any good reason for cheating.
Just break up with them, mate.

Quick Reply

Latest