Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Confusing chemistry questions! Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    So my college has given us some work to do before starting AS, and some of the questions are really bothering me They shouldn't do, since I love chemistry, but they're just confusing me and I can't seem to get my head round it :cry2:
    Any help would be really useful and thanks
    Attached Images
  1. File Type: pdf GA Chemistry work.pdf (319.8 KB, 23 views)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Batgirl98)
    So my college has given us some work to do before starting AS, and some of the questions are really bothering me They shouldn't do, since I love chemistry, but they're just confusing me and I can't seem to get my head round it :cry2:
    Are these for real?

Some stupid questions

ReputationRep:
    For the melting point one, the structure is skeletal.

Each line effectively represents a C-C bond. Hydrogens aren't shown. The rest of the stuff is.
    Now you can work out the chemical formula.

This seriously before AS? You're taught skeletal formula in AS

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by SGHD26716)
    Are these for real?

Some stupid questions
    Unfortunately they are *sigh*. At least someone else agrees with me that they're stupid lol
    Can you make any sense of it? I'll probably just give up tbh but I'm sorta determined

ReputationRep:
    These are the entry level questions for the Cambridge chemistry challenge. I remember attempting them and I could only do 1 - this is coming from an A2 student who is going on to study chem at Durham! If that's pre-AS, I certainly wouldn't have been able to do those...

ReputationRep:
    Unfortunately they are *sigh*. At least someone else agrees with me that they're stupid lol
    Can you make any sense of it? I'll probably just give up tbh but I'm sorta determined
    If I were you I'd give up. (Yes I know, great attitude)

It's retarded to ask stuff you haven't learnt yet.

ReputationRep:
    If I were you I'd give up. (Yes I know, great attitude)

It's retarded to ask stuff you haven't learnt yet.
    Fair enough, I don't think it'll matter too much if I don't do it

ReputationRep:
    Fair enough, I don't think it'll matter too much if I don't do it
    The teacher probably won't remember that they even set this piece of "homework". It's summer, they definitely forget

ReputationRep:
    The teacher probably won't remember that they even set this piece of "homework". It's summer, they definitely forget
    Thanks I needed someone to tell me that :hoppy:

ReputationRep:
    Thanks I needed someone to tell me that :hoppy:
    First, maybe have a look at skeletal formula and understand how they work

Some chemical names that might help you in your search for the info asked for

Tyrian purple (kinda gives it away)
    Capsaicin
    Olympicene

enjoy (things like melting point can be found on wikipedia normally!)

Also, I agree these questions aren't particularly helpful in learning any chemistry, but they seem like a bit of fun!

Just used my geographical knowledge to find out that the map in the back of the final image is of Alabama, the beetle in question is the Boll Weevil! see what it eats and see what that is made of!

(also, despite them being a bit silly, I would suggest that, if you're not even prepared to put in the 5 minutes of googling it took to find those answers then you need to up your game before A levels )

ReputationRep:
    This is worthless ****, pardon my French; they're taken from the Cambridge Chemistry Challenge website. There's little point in anyone in your year doing them, it's essentially just using your knowledge plus google; they can't be done from the top of your head, take it from me

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by GradeA*UnderA)
    it's essentially just using your knowledge plus google
    AKA the most important skill a scientist can have.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by MexicanKeith)
    First, maybe have a look at skeletal formula and understand how they work

Some chemical names that might help you in your search for the info asked for

Tyrian purple (kinda gives it away)
    Capsaicin
    Olympicene

enjoy (things like melting point can be found on wikipedia normally!)

Also, I agree these questions aren't particularly helpful in learning any chemistry, but they seem like a bit of fun!

Just used my geographical knowledge to find out that the map in the back of the final image is of Alabama, the beetle in question is the Boll Weevil! see what it eats and see what that is made of!

(also, despite them being a bit silly, I would suggest that, if you're not even prepared to put in the 5 minutes of googling it took to find those answers then you need to up your game before A levels )
    Thank you so much, and yes I will definitely put in the effort - it will be worth it

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by alow)
    AKA the most important skill a scientist can have.
    I never knew how retrospectively ironic my post could become.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.