Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    so I'm having trouble deciding on what languages I want to apply for. This is because I don't know how I'm going to work around it when writing my personal statement. I think I'm going to apply for a triple language degree at St Andrews in French, Spanish and Russian so that's three right there. However I'm really interested in learning Norwegian at Edinburgh in the course Scandinavian Studies so there's a fourth one. And I can't decide if I'd rather apply for French and Spanish or French and Russian at other universities. I feel like applying for four different languages is too much and I don't know if it's a good idea or not. Can someone help me out? Thank you.

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by catmckie)
    Hi,
    so I'm having trouble deciding on what languages I want to apply for. This is because I don't know how I'm going to work around it when writing my personal statement. I think I'm going to apply for a triple language degree at St Andrews in French, Spanish and Russian so that's three right there. However I'm really interested in learning Norwegian at Edinburgh in the course Scandinavian Studies so there's a fourth one. And I can't decide if I'd rather apply for French and Spanish or French and Russian at other universities. I feel like applying for four different languages is too much and I don't know if it's a good idea or not. Can someone help me out? Thank you.
    Hey there, if I were you I'd prioritise the languages you're interested in. I think maybe stick to applying for 3 languages maximum at one uni for now and see how you find it when you start the course. If I were you, definitely apply to St Andrews and Edinburgh. St Andrews covers all 3 of the languages you've mentioned last but i think, instead of doing a course with French/Spanish or French/Russian at a uni other than St Andrews, it would be good to apply to somewhere else where you'll learn a completely new language. The university you go to will probably be flexible if you want to change courses if you're finding 2 or 3 too demanding. Also don't forget you can learn a language(s) in your free time as a hobby, so don't feel that you have to do a degree in so many at one time. Hope this helps

ReputationRep:
    Hi,

Hi!
    I want to study Spanish and Arabic and I'm finding that reading for each language
    is very important to show an interest and understanding (especially for Oxford lol). I'd say go for it if you think you can explore each culture and language well without getting too stressed, as you'll become more well-educated in general!
    • Community Assistant
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    Hi,
    You could easily take Norwegian as one of your 'outside subjects' at Edinburgh, there's no need to apply for the course directly, but after the second year, you will have to drop one of your languages. I know a number of people who did this and they liked the subject so much they ended up doing their whole degree in it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.