Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

ReputationRep:
    I expected to see the same thing I saw with Engineering but quite the opposite.
    Thoughts? Answers?
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Oneiropólos)
    I expected to see the same thing I saw with Engineering but quite the opposite.
    Thoughts? Answers?
    You do need a creative course and/or a portfolio of work to apply.

It's a training program of 5 years study and 2 years work placement - that's time to train people from a broad range of backgrounds if they have the right visual skills

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    You do need a creative course and/or a portfolio of work to apply.

It's a training program of 5 years study and 2 years work placement - that's time to train people from a broad range of backgrounds if they have the right visual skills

That is much longer than I expected. Didn't realise it was 7 years
    • Very Important Poster
    • PS Reviewer
    • Clearing and Applications Advisor

ReputationRep:
    That is much longer than I expected. Didn't realise it was 7 years
    3 years for a BA/BSc/BArch, 1 year work experience (paid), 2 years for an MArch (funded like undergrad courses are), 1 year paid work experience followed by an exam to qualify

There's other routes and some people don't progress further than the BA but still work within architecture

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by PQ)
    3 years for a BA/BSc/BArch, 1 year work experience (paid), 2 years for an MArch (funded like undergrad courses are), 1 year paid work experience followed by an exam to qualify

There's other routes and some people don't progress further than the BA but still work within architecture
    The majority of people do more than 2 years working "experience" too; for most people the total time to qualify is often nearer to 10 years. Realistically though once you've done you're MArch you're basically done with university and getting paid so its not too bad (it's terrible but still).

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by Farchitect)
    The majority of people do more than 2 years working "experience" too; for most people the total time to qualify is often nearer to 10 years. Realistically though once you've done you're MArch you're basically done with university and getting paid so its not too bad (it's terrible but still).
    The pay isn't good is it?

ReputationRep:
    The pay isn't good is it?
    Not compared to other professions that take as much time and money to qualify in. Most of my friends who just did business courses or marketing courses at random former polys earn more than most architects I know. The only way you make money in architecture is by setting up your own practice, and the only people who can afford to do that are people from rich backgrounds. So if you're from a rich background, go for it.

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    How are your GCSEs going so far?
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.