Hey there! Sign in to join this conversationNew here? Join for free

Getting depressed being at home should I move to uni early ? Watch

Announcements

ReputationRep:
    Ok so my parents are just making me kinda depressed like they're quite miserable negative people and I'm quite a happy positive person and there's a personality clash going on and it's making me rather stressed out if I'm being honest.

I could technically move into my second year house at the start of September so I'm considering doing that tbh just so I can get away from this rather depressing environment and I'll have the freedom to actually do whatever I please.

Anyone else considering doing that too ?

ReputationRep:
    Hey good luck! I would move early too but I don't have the money to pay rent haha
    • Community Assistant
    • Welcome Squad

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by fefssdf)
    Ok so my parents are just making me kinda depressed like they're quite miserable negative people and I'm quite a happy positive person and there's a personality clash going on and it's making me rather stressed out if I'm being honest.

I could technically move into my second year house at the start of September so I'm considering doing that tbh just so I can get away from this rather depressing environment and I'll have the freedom to actually do whatever I please.

go for it if your unhappy. just make sure your mates / potential housemates (no idea if your staying by yourself tbh) are there / you have people to hang out with as it can be boring being the only one by yourself and there being noone around save foreign students (although you can mingle with them if they are around)

ReputationRep:
    (Original post by quasa)
    go for it if your unhappy. just make sure your mates / potential housemates (no idea if your staying by yourself tbh) are there / you have people to hang out with as it can be boring being the only one by yourself and there being noone around save foreign students (although you can mingle with them if they are around)
    Basically I'm moving in with people I don't know and it's 7 of us altogether but I'm aware that I think 2 people will already be there come September so I won't be alone

ReputationRep:
    In the exact same predicament. I'm going to be applying for university in September/October (upper sixth student) and I live in a really negative home. Having a few small weight problems and negative parents doesn't help with my depression and anxiety, so I totally agree with you. If you want to move out, move out and go live at uni.

Best thing to do though is,
    - Stay with friends or other people (and make friends). It'll be nicer to have people around, being alone all the time can take a toll on your mental health too.
    - Make sure you have a part time job that earns enough to pay for rent / or for your part of the rent if staying with friends.
    - If you need that extra loan, get it. Just know you'll have extra debt to pay off.
    - Think through all the different homes you can actually rent at your university or around your university, fish for the cheapest and best deal that suits your comfort needs!

One thing I will say is, don't completely cut off your parents when you move away to uni. Always stay in touch, even if they are negative. I know a lot of people in your situation tend to cut their parents off in a huff because 'they don't want negative in their life at all' but a parent is a parent nonetheless, they've looked after you for your whole life. Show them you still care for them when you're away from home

(Original post by fefssdf)

I want to move out asap aswell but my uni will only let me in halls near the end of september. :/

ReputationRep:
    Go for it. Take care of your mental wellbeing. So long as you can afford it, why not? What's there to hold you back?

• See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• Poll
    Should Spain allow Catalonia to declare independence?
    Useful resources
    Bizarre things students have spent their loans onThings you should budget for at uni

Sponsored features:

Making money from your own website

Need some cash?

How to make money running your own website.

Bianca Miller, runner-up on The Apprentice

Handle your digital footprint

What would an employer find out about you on Google? Find out how to take control.

Groups associated with this forum:

View associated groups
  • See more of what you like on The Student Room

You can personalise what you see on TSR. Tell us a little about yourself to get started.

• The Student Room, Get Revising and Marked by Teachers are trading names of The Student Room Group Ltd.

Register Number: 04666380 (England and Wales), VAT No. 806 8067 22 Registered Office: International House, Queens Road, Brighton, BN1 3XE

Quick reply
    Reputation gems: You get these gems as you gain rep from other members for making good contributions and giving helpful advice.